Highest town in England?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Highest town in England?

Post by Ben@Forest »

pete75 wrote:
Queensbury an (ex)milltown west of Bradford is around 1100 feet above sea level, so it looks like they're both wrong. It's population is about 15,000 more than Hawes.

Queensbury is a village.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Queensbury an (ex)milltown west of Bradford is around 1100 feet above sea level, so it looks like they're both wrong. It's population is about 15,000 more than Hawes.

Queensbury is a village.

Over 16,000 population and with a Tesco "Superstore" - I don't think so.
Last edited by pete75 on 6 Jan 2018, 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Queensbury is a village.

Over 16,000 population - I don't think so.

Wiki does
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensb ... _Yorkshire
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
Queensbury is a village.

Wiki does

And that's alway correct? I'd have thought maybe 1,500 is getting to the limit for a village size never mind 16,000. If it is a village then that's some village store they have....
Last edited by pete75 on 6 Jan 2018, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Wiki does

And that's alway correct? I'd have thought maybe 1500 is getting to the limit for a village size. If it is a village then that's some village store they have....

Are you single handedly trying to redefine Cities, Tiwns, villages, Hamlets?
No one has ever told me it’s decided by population.
Does it have a Town council?
Has it traditionally held a market?

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Since local govt reorganisation in 1974, Queensbury has been part of Bradford. My perception - without reference to a map - is that it's bigger than Hawes and Penistone rolled into one. It is big enough to have its own sort of mini suburb called Mountain, so it's quite high in terms of West Yorkshire. :lol:

In snowy weather, one of the primary schools up there is sometimes featured on what passes as regional TV news because it generally stays open when loads of others close. I was up there on a cold Sunday morning a few weeks ago when I took one of my grandsons to play soccer and I can confirm it was nippy, but with a panoramic view.

(Sorry if I find it hard to take this type of thing seriously. :wink: )
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote:
pete75 wrote:

And that's alway correct? I'd have thought maybe 1500 is getting to the limit for a village size. If it is a village then that's some village store they have....

Until local government reorganisation in 1974 it had an urban district council , I'd have thought having an urban district council meant it was a town not to mention a population well into six figures. Before the 1974 reorganisation villages fell under the auspices of Rural District Councils which usually covered a lot of villages. Apart from city status which is decided by royal warrant or having a cathedral etc what, other than population, is the main deciding factor. Perhaps it's because of teh area I grew up - most villages around here are under a 1,000 most hamlets under 100 and a lot of the towns under 10,000. There is a single city with less than 100,000 residents and anyway it's only a city because it has a cathedral. It's often called the county town.
Last edited by pete75 on 6 Jan 2018, 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

The next village to me...Ecclesfield has a population of 32,000.Larger than Penistone,Hawes and Queensbury in one.
It’s still a village.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Alston is a town because it has certain functions and is the biggest place for miles around

Alston and Buxton contented for title of Highest Market Town
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Until local government reorganisation in 1974 it had an urban district council , I'd have thought having an urban district council meant it was a town not to mention a population well into six figures. Before the 1974 reorganisation villages fell under the auspices of Rural District Councils which usually covered a lot of villages. Apart from city status which is decided by royal warrant or having a cathedral etc what, other than population, is the main deciding factor. Perhaps it's because of teh area I grew up - most villages around here are under a 1,000 most hamlets under 100 and a lot of the towns under 10,000. There is a single city with less than 100,000 residents and anyway it's only a city because it has a cathedral. It's often called the county town.

The fact it had an UDC surely suggests it became an urban sprawl. I always thought Towns had or had in the past agricultural markets.
Sounds like an interesting place which I’ve never been to, so maybe one day. This is an interesting document https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/2492/ ... ssment.pdf and Bradford gov constantly refer to it as the village.

E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Are you single handedly trying to redefine Cities, Tiwns, villages, Hamlets? :lol: :lol:

The fact it had an UDC surely suggests it became an urban sprawl. I always thought Towns had or had in the past agricultural markets.
Sounds like an interesting place which I’ve never been to, so maybe one day. This is an interesting document https://www.bradford.gov.uk/media/2492/ ... ssment.pdf and Bradford gov constantly refer to it as the village.

Market towns yep. There's also mill towns which this place appears to have been. Round here all the little towns had there own urban district councils and they certainly weren't urban sprawls but anyway is an urban sprawl a village? There's a Hyacinth Bucket tendency amongst some folk and even local authorities which cause them to refer to places as villages which clearly aren't. It just sounds "naicer"..... These days I'd guess Queensbury is merely a suburb of Bradford. Hang on - doesn't that make Bradford the highest city in England?? :lol:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Queensbury is a village.

Queensbury, when I last saw official figures, was at 1134ft. Queensbury was independent, and right up to 1974, together with it's neighbour (called Shelf) had it's own Urban District Council. True, no mayor and no market, but a busy industrial township for all that and had it's own Council Chairman (with gold chain). It certainly had the highest traditional urban tram terminus in Britain and I believe (but that's believe, not know for certain) that it has what was the highest Board School in England, and Mountain village (administratevly part of Queensbury) is even higher.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The Black Dyke Mill band must surely be more widely known than just around here? It's no accident that Brighouse and Rastrick is based just down the road from there as well. In the days when "Made in England" meant something, Queensbury was one of the places where they made it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

pete75 wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Market towns yep. There's also mill towns which this place appears to have been. Round here all the little towns had there own urban district councils and they certainly weren't urban sprawls but anyway is an urban sprawl a village? There's a Hyacinth Bucket tendency amongst some folk and even local authorities which cause them to refer to places as villages which clearly aren't. It just sounds "naicer"..... These days I'd guess Queensbury is merely a suburb of Bradford. Hang on - doesn't that make Bradford the highest city in England?? :lol:

There are also farm towns ( ferm toons) which have very little population so if a mill town is a town is not a farm town?
I think not, the prefix in both define it’s type.

E2E info