Highest town in England?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
JohnW

Re: Highest town in England?

Post by JohnW »

[XAP]Bob wrote:..........The Netherlands average elevation is just 30m, much of their land (As much at 26% on some random site that Google quoted in search results) is below sea level................

They must have good wellies.............!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JohnW wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:..........The Netherlands average elevation is just 30m, much of their land (As much at 26% on some random site that Google quoted in search results) is below sea level................

Excellent dykes.

And boys with fingers!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Wanlockhead is a village. I believe it was mentioned as another poster had stated somewhere else as the highest village in the UK

I always choose a sunny day whenever I cycle there then tell them what good weather they keep as it's always dry when I'm there. [emoji2]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chatting to a chap the other day and he is a roofer, and at present working in Princetown (circa 1,500ft) on Dartmoor.

The fog never cleared until 3pm on Tuesday! :lol:

Why people live up there, I don't know!
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:Chatting to a chap the other day and he is a roofer, and at present working in Princetown (circa 1,500ft) on Dartmoor.

If it's a choice between there and London...................
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Excellent dykes.

And boys with fingers!

On the Lincs fen edge there's actually a village called Dyke and, within a few miles, one named Tongue End - perhaps they should get it together.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pete75 wrote:Excellent dykes.

And boys with fingers!

On the Lincs fen edge there's actually a village called Dyke and, within a few miles, one named Tongue End - perhaps they should get it together.[/quote]

........unsubscribing the topic now.................
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:Chatting to a chap the other day and he is a roofer, and at present working in Princetown (circa 1,500ft) on Dartmoor.

Good jobs as prison warders?

BTW Doggertown, Doggerland was lower than the lot of them (market towns)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Good jobs as prison warders?
Years ago, the wardens lived in quarters in the town, but since they were sold off along with many other council houses in the UK, the wardens don't live there and therefore commute.
Mick F. Cornwall
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Penistone (South Yorkshire) 757ft and Hawes(North Yorkshire) 850ft have had a long standing arguement as to which is the highest market town in England.The figures speak for themselves but the arguement carries on.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ibbo68 wrote:Penistone (South Yorkshire) 757ft and Hawes(North Yorkshire) 850ft have had a long standing arguement as to which is the highest market town in England.The figures speak for themselves but the arguement carries on.

England? Yorkshire!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:Penistone (South Yorkshire) 757ft and Hawes(North Yorkshire) 850ft have had a long standing arguement as to which is the highest market town in England.The figures speak for themselves but the argument carries on.

England? Yorkshire!

Same thing!

:wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ibbo68 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:Penistone (South Yorkshire) 757ft and Hawes(North Yorkshire) 850ft have had a long standing arguement as to which is the highest market town in England.The figures speak for themselves but the argument carries on.

England? Yorkshire!

Same thing!

:wink:

How can I become a Yorkshireperson?

The Grauniad had an article about Y and possible autonomy today (I am sure it was published a while ago actually, seen it before).. Y has 5m+ inhabitants, comparable to Norway or Scotland

My preference is for a union with Lancashire :wink: then tolls could be charged for trade between the South and the Real North, stranger things have happened
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Alston 1000ft
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ibbo68 wrote:Penistone (South Yorkshire) 757ft and Hawes(North Yorkshire) 850ft have had a long standing arguement as to which is the highest market town in England.The figures speak for themselves but the arguement carries on.

Queensbury an (ex)milltown west of Bradford is around 1100 feet above sea level, so it looks like they're both wrong. It's population is about 15,000 more than Hawes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker