Well today I learned...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
theenglishman

Well today I learned...

Post by theenglishman »

...not to push the chain pin all the way out - cos getting it started again is a bugger. That or a buy a better chain pin remover.

Anyone else learned a bit of spannering know how today?
cycle cat

Re: Well today I learned...

Post by cycle cat »

No you can't get the pin back in once it's out.
I've learned to lubricate clipless pedals.
I couldn't get my feet out in time and fell over sideways :oops: onto a bank. :oops:
Thank goodness for soup.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not today ................ yet!
However, I did learn some time back, that when undoing something with a tool, put it down before taking off the fitment by hand.

If you leave the tool in the same hand as you are taking off the "something", you are likely to drop the tool onto your nice paintwork! :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Yael

Post by Yael »

theenglishman wrote:...not to push the chain pin all the way out - cos getting it started again is a bugger. That or a buy a better chain pin remover.

Step 1 Go to your LBS, buy a quicklink and fit it
Step 2 Stop sneering at other people who pay someone to do a better job than they would've done
Step 3 Bad karma should wear off by lunchtime tomorrow :)
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

Yael wrote:
theenglishman wrote:...not to push the chain pin all the way out - cos getting it started again is a bugger. That or a buy a better chain pin remover.

Step 2 Stop sneering at other people who pay someone to do a better job than they would've done

Well that told me then :P

And yes, you can put the pin in again! And now I've learned what a quicklink is too. Good stuff this interweb thing!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

theenglishman wrote:
Yael wrote:

Well that told me then :P

And yes, you can put the pin in again! And now I've learned what a quicklink is too. Good stuff this interweb thing!

Agree you can.. but it is such a fiddly operation it is preferable not to have to do it... and quality of link remover is nothing to do with is. :D :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
jezer

Post by jezer »

Why don't chain splitters have some sort of stop on them to prevent the pin dropping out :?:
Power to the pedals
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

When I bought a cyclo chain tool in the mid 60s the instructions gave the number of turns, for both 1/8 and 3/32 chains, to remove the rivit just far enough to split the chain without removing the rivit completely. Still got the chain tool, replaced the pin a few times, instructions long gone just do it by feel now.