Isn't it nice to be honest or not !

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ian Raleigh

Isn't it nice to be honest or not !

Post by Ian Raleigh »

A chap over the road took his dog out for a walk and on his daily walk passes by a car-park
well today he spotted a large hold-all! The sort you see being used be a sales rep' and picked
it up and on close inspection it contained a very expensive lap top and several devices which
all looked as if they were used in the work environment and in the hold-all contained many documents
and important info' and to his shock :shock: he spotted £3,000 in sealed packets !! He was going to
take the hold-all with its entire contents to a Police Station, then he noticed an address of the owner
of this 'find' and to his amazement he only had to walk three streets away so decided to return it back
to the rightful owner.

He knocked on the door of the addressee and was confronted by a posh bloke in a suit and when he asked
if he has anything gone missing within the past day, He answered ''yes my works brief case which i have just
reported to the Police as being stolen'' He showed him the hold-all and the bloke snatched it from my friend
and checked the contents !! The chap never said thank-you or rewarded him and just closed the door in his face.

My friend said to my wife ''The stuck up git never offered me any such reward and if i ever find anything like that again i'm keeping it''
kwackers

Re: Isn't it nice to be honest or not !

Post by kwackers »

Probably already had his insurance claim in and didn't want any fuss...

I once got a tenner off a guy for handing him his wallet back (with contents) and a thank you from a lady whose hand bag I watched fall off the roof of her car.

Still 3k... Whilst I'd much sooner feel good about myself than keeping the £50 that was in the guys wallet and I try to apply the "do unto others has you'd like done to you" ethos, I guess we've all got a price. :wink:
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Back in the 70's my brother lost his wage packet which was near on £250 and traced his steps
were he had walked and also logged the lost money at our local Police Station but never heard a thing.

A couple of years later he found a wallet bulging with cash and our Mam told me brother he has to hand it in to the Police Station!!

He said....
''Mam you remember when i lost my wage packet and it was never handed in -- Well neither is this wallet going to be handed back in''
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

I left an SLR camera, zoom lens and flash in a battered WW2 suitcase on the pavement on bin day. Bin men saw it but didn't touch it, a local lady picked it up and handed it in to the police. I was 17 and very happy to get it back. My parents made me phone her and say thank you in person. I always hand stuff in I was brung up that way.
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

Knowing my luck if this was me, I would have been stopped by the police on the way to return it and got arrested for it's theft ;-)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

alanesq wrote:Knowing my luck if this was me, I would have been stopped by the police on the way to return it and got arrested for it's theft ;-)

It's the beard and the hat. I'd arrest you just for having them in a built up area. :wink:
Drake

Post by Drake »

mill4six wrote:I left an SLR camera, zoom lens and flash in a battered WW2 suitcase on the pavement on bin day. Bin men saw it but didn't touch it, a local lady picked it up and handed it in to the police. I was 17 and very happy to get it back. My parents made me phone her and say thank you in person. I always hand stuff in I was brung up that way.

Same here . I wouldn't feel comfortable gaining from somebody's misfortune .
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ian Raleigh wrote:A chap over the road took his dog out for a walk and on his daily walk passes by a car-park
well today he spotted a large hold-all!

He knocked on the door of the addressee and was confronted by a posh bloke in a suit and when he asked
if he has anything gone missing within the past day, He answered ''yes my works brief case ..."

Funny thing is I left my hold-all containing £3K and an expensive lap-top in the car park by mistake, and some bloke's just knocked on my door asking if I've lost a briefcase containing a stale cheese and pickle sandwich. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

gaz wrote:Funny thing is I left my hold-all containing £3K and an expensive lap-top in the car park by mistake, and some bloke's just knocked on my door asking if I've lost a briefcase containing a stale cheese and pickle sandwich. :wink:

:lol: Sure made me laugh that one :D

Bloke over the road is still cursing him about his ignorance.

One thing that gets me is ''What if this stash of valuable info' got into the wrong hands'' ....Makes you wonder doesn't it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hmmm 3k in cash in packets.. wonder what else might have been in it.....
Perhaps that's why the bloke snatched it back.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

A story that was often mentioned in our family. In the 1970s, when I was a mere child :wink: , the family were parking up in a multi storey car park in London (Both the car park and London were unfamiliar - we were visitors).

In the opposite bay another car came to park, got it’s angles all wrong and put a great big crease and scrape up the side of the adjacent Porsche. The driver then drove off.

On return from the trip a couple of days later, my father (a Police Officer) traced the Porsche owner and wrote him a letter offering to be a witness, and that he had the details of the car that did the damage. In his reply, the owner said he was most appreciative of my father’s efforts but that he wasn’t bothered to take things any further. Dad always found that strange given the substantial damage that had been done to the car.
meic

Post by meic »

Makes you think the Porsche driver didnt want to risk their spouse finding out they had been parking there.
For some reason. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've lost my wallet twice while out cycing and had it returned quickly, complete with all contents, both times - once by somebody who went out of their way to bring it to the hotel in Norfolk where I was staying. :D

There seem to be two different issues here: find something where the owner is identifiable and keeping it is just as much theft as if you stole it from their pocket. If somebody returns found property, and show of gratitude from the lucky loser is a matter of morals. (I gave both my rescuers dosh. A tenner to the child who found it with no cash in, but all my cards, and IIRC all the cash in the wallet to the chap in Norfolk - possibly around 30 quid, because I was so pleased to get all my cards back. I don't know how I'd react to finding a suitcase stuffed with loot. I've never been tested.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

£3K in sealed packets sounds a bit dodgy. I would probably have taken it to the police rather than the owner. Carparks tend to have CCTV so keeping it wouldn't have been an option.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:........ I don't know how I'd react to finding a suitcase stuffed with loot. I've never been tested.
Dunno if people can remember, but we're the local Poppy Appeal organisers and last November when opening a collection box, I found a rather valuable Roman coin. I got my magnifying glass out, and studied the coin to see it was a Vespasian denarius worth perhaps £1,000 or more.

What was I to do?
Fess up and give the dosh to the Poppy Appeal, or sell the coin and pocket the grand?

What happened?
What did I do?

If anyone can remember the thread on here, they know! :D
Mick F. Cornwall