Annoying plastic policemen

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Annoying plastic policemen

Post by meic »

Do they?

They frequently and regularly are imprecise about the law, when it suits them.

There is nothing to stop them saying things like "it is an offence for parents to allow their children of compulsory age to not attend school." Nobody is going to stop them saying such things as they will claim that the broad thrust of it is true, even if it is in truth a lie.

or

"It is an offence to exceed 30mph in an urban speed limit".
Which is true but not universally true.

If all else fails, they can threaten you with the anti-terrorism law and then you lose all rights. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's easy to see "them" as a single homogenous entity.

Once upon a time, the police stopped public boozing - at least amongst the lower classes - whether it was illegal or not. People challenged this, and some challenges were upheld. Heavy drinking (binge drinking) came to be seen as a medical problem rather than something for the criminal law so over time, the police increasingly backed off. A situation was reached in some places where "hard working families" complained that public boozing was spoiling their enjoyment. The legislation which is the subject of this thread was passed and feathers are now being ruffled. These laws to deal with so-called low level anti-social behaviour are enforced by people whose training is minimal to keep down costs. It's never mind the quality ....

"They" include everybody from posturing politicians, to police community support officers.
irc

Post by irc »

meic wrote:If it was to get publicity that they are not above making up laws and powers as they go along, their job would get much more difficult.

I think, perhaps, that laws like these to control public drinking were in fact brought in because the police were no longer prepared to make up excuses to move on groups of drinkers. For example members of the public complain about a group of youths shouting, swearing, and drinking in the lane near their house. The police attend at which point there is a group of quiet teenagers standing around drinking. None of the callers are prepared to give statements regarding the disturbance. So the police leave as there is no evidence of any crimes being committed. Result - unhappy local residents.

Youths who are aware that if the police are called that their alcohol will be seized are often, though not always, more discreet in the places they choose to drink. If the police do have to attend complaints of disorder involving public drinking there are more options to deal with the matter.

Drinking in public laws give another option. They should of course be used appropriately. Employing staff with limited powers and training will inevitably lead to problems. Sometimes knowing when no response is required is just as important as "doing something".
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I think the 'lane near their house' would tend not to be covered, as these orders generally cover urban centres rather than residential areas.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Just spoke to the police Sgt. for about 20 minutes, he seemed slightly miffed at my 'plastic police' comments and particularly that I said they didn't have anything better to do, and seemed to think I should have called them rather than getting on twitter etc.

I said I was annoyed at being approached and being told that what I was doing was illegal when it wasn't, and that they had not been receptive to my objections. He said I should speak to Woking Council about the signage, to which I pointed out that the police are the ones enforcing these signs and that it's a police issue.

He then claimed that there isn't a blanket ban on drinking in the town centre, but that basically there were so many factors that might cause them to ask me to stop e.g., things happening in the area, known offenders nearby, other people having been told the same, reports from the public/CCTV. So basically if you were ever told to stop, there would undoubtedly be a good evidence-based reason, even if you didn't know what it was. :roll:

I pointed out that the PCSOs told me there was a blanket ban and seemed to be enforcing on this basis, to which I think he repeated the stuff about there being other reasons why they might ask me to stop. He did try to argue that 'illegal if you are told not to' is almost identical to 'illegal', but I said that I did not appreciate being told that I was breaking the law. He didn't apologise for them which I guess is understandable as he hasn't heard their side of it.

I didn't have much of a description of the two PCSOs but he said he should be able to find out who they were and speak to them.

He said something about if you had seen people on CCTV drinking on a bench that you might not be able to tell if it was alcohol or energy drink, and if you found it was an energy drink they wouldn't do anything about it. I asked if that meant there was a blanket ban since it seemed a bit odd to be using CCTV to look at people sitting on the bench, and he said no, and said that when the Tour Series (bike race) comes to town they have people with picnics and half a bottle of wine and that's fine. (That however is only 1 day a year, so it's not much use the other 364 days.) He said if you saw someone sitting there with a six pack of Tennent's Super that would be a different matter.

I think their thinking is that Woking town centre is such a hole ('vibrant' was the word used) that you have to be a tramp to want to drink there. :lol: There seems to be a presumption that anyone drinking off premises is problematic. This is discriminatory against me, since I'm hardly going to drag my kids into one of the local pubs, which are all downmarket, lacking beer gardens and several banning children altogether. He said that they take action against pubs serving drunken people, but the disparity is obvious, that I can't drink a bottle of beer with my kids outside if there is a scrote sitting on the next bench/a fight in the next street/a report from the CCTV operator/whatever else, whereas you've got to be blind drunk, or barred, to be declined service in a pub.

He gave the expected statistic about reduced anti-social behaviour/disorder in the last x months/years/whatever it was, so that obviously justifies any curtailment of people's liberties. :roll:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Whenever this pops up on the "view unread threads" search I wonder about the ambiguous title which I don't think has been explained. :?
gaz

Post by gaz »

thelawnet wrote:Just spoke to the police Sgt. for about 20 minutes, he seemed slightly miffed at my 'plastic police' comments and particularly that I said they didn't have anything better to do, and seemed to think I should have called them rather than getting on twitter etc.

Fair comment from the Sargeant, these PCSOs are his colleagues and he is there to support them, it would have been unprofessional to do otherwise, and as I posted above the only way to get the enforcement practices in Woking changed is to approach Surrey police themselves.

thelawnet wrote:...He then claimed that there isn't a blanket ban on drinking in the town centre, but that basically there were so many factors that might cause them to ask me to stop e.g., things happening in the area, known offenders nearby, other people having been told the same, reports from the public/CCTV. So basically if you were ever told to stop, there would undoubtedly be a good evidence-based reason, even if you didn't know what it was...

The ineffable will of Plod. There's no arguing with that. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

the thing is, that the police exist at our expense to protect, not persecute us. for them to bother someone who's harming no-one and not breaking any law is an orwellian nightmare.

good work lawnet, keep it up. and if you fancy sharing a couple of bottles of bateman's (it's better than fuller's) on lincoln's highbridge, i'm buying :D
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

thirdcrank wrote:Whenever this pops up on the "view unread threads" search I wonder about the ambiguous title which I don't think has been explained. :?

?

PCSOs are widely - and disparagingly - known as plastic police:

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... tic-police
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... olice.html

PS. He did say something about 'conflicting community policing priorities', which I guess is code for 'the curtain twitchers who turn up at police-public consultations tell us to do these things'.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thelawnet wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Whenever this pops up on the "view unread threads" search I wonder about the ambiguous title which I don't think has been explained. :?

?

PCSOs are widely - and disparagingly - known as plastic police: ...

By ambiguous I meant that it has two possible meanings, depending on whether "annoying" describes the plastic policemen or something being done to them (rather like the difference between shooting stars and shooting ducks.)
fossil

Post by fossil »

I'm sorry I thought this was a cycling forum :roll:
are you victor Meldrew " I don't believe it !! "
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

fossil wrote:I'm sorry I thought this was a cycling forum :roll:
are you victor Meldrew " I don't believe it !! "

The Tea Shop
Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.