Meteors ...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: Meteors ...

Post by 661-Pete »

old_windbag wrote:I still collect fossils to this day when possible,
Me too - or at least, I used to. On a very modest scale though - I think I may still have a few brachiopods, sponges, echinoids, that sort of stuff, collected out of the chalk, knocking around somewhere in the house. No vertebrates though! Absolutely beyond my league!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
old_windbag

Re: Meteors ...

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote:Me too - or at least, I used to

My area tends to be carboniferous sandstone hence the trees/roots. There are some dinosaur footprints up the coast, as well as limestones containing sea creatures.

Fossilisation is something we should be very grateful for, imagine if the physical nature of the earth didn't support such a process how lost to the past we would be. That evidence in the rock has enlightened us greatly.

Where the night sky is concerned it would be good when dead to be preserved( enbalmed or plasticized? ) and sent out into space in a pod. This could travel along at constant speed until it collides with something or is drawn by gravity into something...... or hopefully found by another species far in the future on it's long journey.