What else did 'education' put you off?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
The Mechanic

Re: What else did 'education' put you off?

Post by The Mechanic »

I had a Geography teacher who used to bounce a 3 foot blackboard ruler off your head, emphasizing every syllable of his point. He stopped doing this to me when my Dad threatened to do the same to him. He made my life hell in other ways though. He when on to become head of the school. Just goes to show that the bad guys often win. I moved to a vocational school and life was a whole different story, for the better.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mick F wrote:I think I'm a bit unusual, as my education didn't put me off anything.

+1.

I was useless at art, metalwork, woodwork and PE, and not good at a number of others. I unusually had the choice of opting out of English Literature (Language was compulsory, obviously) and did so. However, I didn't think any the worse of these subjects just because they weren't for me.

Later, at university, I remember thinking how interesting the topics that others were doing might be, without ever wanting to change subject myself. I borrowed a basic Economics text from one fellow-student who was studying that.
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

Religion

Religious Education was the most boring, un-enlightening subject EVER.

I learned far more about sex during Biology classes. I learned far more about Islam etc etc from talking to people from those faiths than I ever did during classes. Nothing in any lesson inspired me to find out more about Anglicanism, Christianity or any other religion and just left me with an overwhelming desire to have nothing to do with it. It was so uninspiring I can't even remember the teachers name.

Complete waste of time.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

At my grammar school RE was called Divinity. I was an argumentative atheist, (still am !) and when lessons turned from teaching about the Bible to discussing ethical and religous questions I had great fun. I won the "Vicar of Spalding Divinity Prize." I still am not sure what this shows.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

I'm with theenglishman on this. RE was compulsory for the first two years of upper school. I still have two years worth of detentions to attend because:
1) I couldn't be bothered to do the homework
2) I couldn't be bothered to turn up for the detentions.

If I could have swapped RE for extra English Lit I might have got a grade B O level instead of a C.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

The one thing education failed to put me off was a thirst for knowledge. About anything. In as much detail as I can find (I often find Horizon type programmes frustrating as they don't tell me why).

School seriously put me off people though. I still suffer from that & struggle to form & maintain relationships.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com