What else did 'education' put you off?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
byegad

What else did 'education' put you off?

Post by byegad »

There's a thread on competitive sport at schools and some posters are saying they were put off by their school experiences.

So what other things did school put you off.

I'll start with poetry. We covered a poem every week in the first year of Grammar school, covering:-
1. What it meant.
2. The construction of the rhymes.
3. Unusual words put in for scansion.
4. Finally we had to learn it by heart and some of us were then asked to recite it out loud the next week, in order to ensure we all did it!

I failed miserably at all these things and when I was unlucky enough to be picked to recite Daffodils failed miserably to remember the damn thing. My punishment was to write it out 10 times and recite it next day to Mr Illingsworth, after school. I copied it outdid my level best to get in my head, and again failed to recite it correctly, although it was a lot nearer Mr Wordsworth's original. So I got to write it out another 20 times.

Forty five years later in a book shop I picked up a book of verse and glanced at the first poem. I have no idea why as I detested poetry in all its forms. I was captivated by William Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. 'Shall I compare thee to a summers day?'. All those years lost, not enjoying poetry. Thanks Mr Illingsworth I hope you are in hell writing out 'Daffodils' for the rest of eternity!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Alex L

Re: What else did 'education' put you off?

Post by Alex L »

For the first 6 years of school I needed glasses. It wasn't until Year 6 at middle school my English teacher asked me why I was squinting. Somehow my parents and teachers seemed to have missed it for the first half of my life :lol:

To this day, I believe this is why I am put off hard work. It never paid off when you copied down spellings to learn incorrectly, haha!
dodger

Post by dodger »

Dickens, Shakespeare, Chaucer, poetry, latin, enforced competitive games, authority and corporal punishment (which was grown-up bullying). It was a real joy when a teacher agreed to allow cycling, but that wasn't until my 5th year.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

French! We must have had the worst french teacher in the world.
I really looked forward to learning it. No idea what he was on about?________ We will, I will, They will. __ Will they? cause I blinking well didn't. :(
I remember a few words - " Ferme la porte" or as my grandad would put it -"put th'wood in hole lad" :D
Couldn't wait to get out of his class and take up woodwork instead.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Team sports....
Because the teams were chosen from teachers pets not on merit. I was a demon fast bowler, people were scared to face me. I knew I was good because I played for the local cricket club youth side, but in school I was never chosen. I got my own back by being a good athlete. I could sprint, do the mile and throw the javelin better than anyone in my year and eventually in the school and competed at county level. There was no way the teachers and their pets could argue that they could be chosen in place of me. It taught me to stand on my own feet and row my own boat and this stood me in great stead to start and run a successful business. It also taught me to teach my kids skills that other kids didn't have which enabled both of them to enjoy great leisure pursuits and in one case a music career that took her all over the world.
Team sports are great as long as the team is chosen on merit.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bad teachers!
Teaching young children is a vocation and an art.
There were some really barstewards at the schools I attended,mainly teaching maths or English.
These pillocks managed to turn me against authority,of an kind,for a considerable part of my life.
Of course the good ones were really good and a couple in particular that I would have done anything they asked of me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

reohn2 wrote:Bad teachers!

Very true. In my sisters class, a teacher called a boy with learning difficulties a retard.

In 6th form, after being ignored by the teacher who only spoke to the table of the "cool" kids, called me a geek and a t-wat. Saying that, there are some excellent teachers that go unnoticed. But hey, when was life just...
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

byegad wrote:There's a thread on competitive sport at schools and some posters are saying they were put off by their school experiences.

So what other things did school put you off.

I'll start with poetry. We covered a poem every week in the first year of Grammar school, covering:-
1. What it meant.
2. The construction of the rhymes.
3. Unusual words put in for scansion.
4. Finally we had to learn it by heart and some of us were then asked to recite it out loud the next week, in order to ensure we all did it!

I failed miserably at all these things and when I was unlucky enough to be picked to recite Daffodils failed miserably to remember the damn thing. My punishment was to write it out 10 times and recite it next day to Mr Illingsworth, after school. I copied it outdid my level best to get in my head, and again failed to recite it correctly, although it was a lot nearer Mr Wordsworth's original. So I got to write it out another 20 times.

Forty five years later in a book shop I picked up a book of verse and glanced at the first poem. I have no idea why as I detested poetry in all its forms. I was captivated by William Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. 'Shall I compare thee to a summers day?'. All those years lost, not enjoying poetry. Thanks Mr Illingsworth I hope you are in hell writing out 'Daffodils' for the rest of eternity!

Never had to do anything like that, but I still hate poetry!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think I'm a bit unusual, as my education didn't put me off anything. I naturally dislike sports and competition - even board games and cards bore me rigid.

I had a good education - it suited me to be at a good primary school, and then go off to a secondary school after "failing" my 11 Plus. I didn't look at it as a fail, because I'd have hated to pass and go to a grammar school.

I had a good well-rounded education that set me up for life. 2 GCEs and 4 CSEs at Grade One gave me 6 O Levels.
Maths, English, General Science, Metalwork, Tech Drawing, and Geography.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

School simply put me off school. Didn't take long for me to figure out if you didn't go there was nothing they could do - bar from expel you and that seemed win win to me!
Si

Post by Si »

School put me off other kids. 'orrible smelly, dirty, noisy things.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Si wrote:School put me off other kids. 'orrible smelly, dirty, noisy things.

And stupid.

One of the reasons I couldn't be bothered going was because they continually went over the same things again and again...

I had a maths teacher who was fantastic, after a lesson I was asked her "where formula's came from" and she briefly explained calculus to me and brought in some sheets explaining it - that was a bit of an eye opener, particularly as I realised that a lot of the stuff I was expected to remember could be derived from first principles which meant even less time was needed at school...
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

What did school put me off:

mindless authority, come to that authority

There must have been some good teachers but few at Rowan Road Secondry School in the main a load of sarcastic, sadistic b............s
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Nothing but it did give me a lot of opportunities, I wouldn't have otherwise have had.
Things i can think of
1 Acting I had a part pin a play at the Civic theatre in Leeds
2 I have Friends in Germany
3 Rock climbing
4 Hill walking
But the biggest was the opportunity to go to University
NUKe

Post by meic »

1) I used to home educate a lad who was active in the theatre despite not going to school.

2,3 &4) I managed all of those outside of/despite of school.

As for going to Uni arent you mistaking the selection out of others as opportunity?
The Uni places dont exist because of children passing exams, it is the other way around.

Personally, I got my grades for Uni by dodging lessons and studying with my mates.
Yma o Hyd