Jimmy Savile

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
JohnW

Re: Jimmy Savile

Post by JohnW »

pete75 wrote:
JohnW wrote:Well actually Pete, although it's difficult to believe considering the wording of my post, I'd not misunderstood, and my post was intended to convey the same. I'm sorry if I've apparently connected you with something that you didn't mean. I didn't mean to do it.

No prob - I thought what you said was both funny and true. As some have said she did to the country what he did to under age girls.

Pete that was good, clever and funny - and appersite. She hasn't been caught in her lifetime either - yet. They're similar even to the grave - there's talk about a state funeral for her, and look at the song-and-dance he got.

But to be serious - just how bad was this guy? He courted the nation's admiration and affection whilst all the time knowing what he was doing. What have all those girls been through down the years?
whoops

Post by whoops »

Quote: "But to be serious - just how bad was this guy? He courted the nation's admiration and affection whilst all the time knowing what he was doing. What have all those girls been through down the years?"

I'm wondering that. In the newspaper today a young lady said: "And on another occasion . . ." ?

Once, in the 1940's a dirty old man made a pest of himself to us kids [without giving away to much detail!]. BUT he only did it just the ONCE! :evil:
meic

Post by meic »

So the NSPCC is saying he is probably the worst serial sex offender ever, the Police are investigating 200 potential victims of the abuse.

Am I correct in thinking that he would have passed a CRB check right up to his dying day?
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

An enhanced CRB check - necessary for anybody working with vulnerable people - includes any info the police have about the subject, in addition to criminal convictions and formal cautions. That was introduced to avoid the Soham situation, where a lot of information about Huntley's involvement with young teenage girls was known to police and IIRC destroyed or at least withheld because of the chief constable's interpretation of the data protection legislation.

I've no idea what info was available about JS.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

whoops wrote:Once, in the 1940's a dirty old man made a pest of himself to us kids [without giving away to much detail!]. BUT he only did it just the ONCE! :evil:

And in the following decade, a local known as Nutty Edgar started flashing us kids of a summer evening. We dealt with it quite satisfactorily by keeping a constant watch while we were playing in the street and the park, then as soon as anybody saw him, we'd all chase him off yelling "Edgar! Edgar! Show us your willy, Edgar".

Worked a treat. He soon lost his enthusiasm.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

When I was a lad the pedo's simply parked their cars near the school gates, bag of sweets in hand.
Everyone knew who they were, our parents would warn us and we'd warn the kids who didn't know.
Bizarrely it was all a bit of a joke and they were folk to be pitied rather than reviled.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

kwackers wrote:When I was a lad the pedo's simply parked their cars near the school gates, bag of sweets in hand.

Wasn't it Mike Harding who immortalised the cry "Take the Smarties and run!"?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Shootist wrote:Image

Wrong politician mate. JS was a great friend of Mrs Thatcher spending 11 consecutive new yeras with her at Cheuqers. Wouldn't be surprised if her influence played a part in protecting him.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can only think that JS and Mrs T complemented each other :?
Personally I really can't think of two people I would rather not be stuck in a lift with,one would be found dead,and the other with a large cigar sticking out of an uncomplementary orifice when the firemen opened the doors,to which I'd answer "not me gov"

Oh! just thought of another,he's in the photo with JS :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

meic wrote:So the NSPCC is saying he is probably the worst serial sex offender ever, the Police are investigating 200 potential victims of the abuse.

Am I correct in thinking that he would have passed a CRB check right up to his dying day?

More sensationalist rubbish, Savile has a long way to go to be worse than this man:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20014945
pete75

Post by pete75 »

gilesjuk wrote:
meic wrote:So the NSPCC is saying he is probably the worst serial sex offender ever, the Police are investigating 200 potential victims of the abuse.

More sensationalist rubbish, Savile has a long way to go to be worse than this man:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20014945

The NSPCC said Savile may have been "one of the most prolific sex offenders" it had come across.

I don't think that statement either rubbish nor sensationalist.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

No surprises about this latest arrest (Paul Gadd), but...

Elsewhere the deputy leader of the Labour Party Harriet Harman has called for a judge-led inquiry into the Savile abuse claims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20114378

Perhaps she might figure prominently in it too. :evil:

Before she became an MP, Harriet Harman was the legal officer in the late 1970s for the National Council for Civil Liberties. When Miss Harman joined NCCL in 1978, PIE, the Paedophile Information Exchange, had already been affiliated for three years. Another group, Paedophile Action for Liberation, a Gay Liberation Front offshoot, had also been affiliated to NCCL until it was absorbed by PIE. PIE, which campaigned for adults to have sex legally with children, only broke off its relationship with NCCL when it went undercover in 1982, the same year that Harriet Harman left her NCCL post to become Member of Parliament for Peckham.

NCCL people were earlier involved in keeping the name of an NCCL council-member, Jonathan Walters, out of the People newspaper when it ran an exposé of Paedophile Action for Liberation, of which he was secretary, in 1975. The People still ran the story, but Walters was not named.

Even more extraordinary is the fact that a current Cabinet Minister was running the National Council of Civil Liberties at the time all this was going on.

The Rt Hon Patricia Hewitt MP, Secretary of State for Health, became General Secretary of NCCL in 1974. The very next year, 1975, NCCL invited the Paedophile Information Exchange and Paedophile Action for Liberation to affiliate. In the year after, 1976, the now-notorious paedophile Tom O’Carroll was invited to address the NCCL conference, which promptly voted to ‘deplore’ the use of chemical castration treatments for paedophiles.

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/index.php/archives/1832
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Shootist -

Words fail me - all I can think is "Bloody 'ell !!!".
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

JohnW wrote:Shootist -

Words fail me - all I can think is "Bloody 'ell !!!".

Those words will do nicely enough for now. :!:
[George Orwell]