anyone know much about bats?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hubgearfreak

anyone know much about bats?

Post by hubgearfreak »

there's a piece of land behind our house. there's bats about at dusk, but whether they live in our gardens/houses or the unused land i don't know. i would like the 'powers that be' to know before planning is applied for and granted to turn the wildlife haven into housing.

anyone know where to start?

thanks. HGF and the bats :D
meic

Re: anyone know much about bats?

Post by meic »

Here is a start.

I dont fully understand how the law works but when we wanted to repair our bat ridden workshop, it was actually a volunteer from the bat society who came and told us it was OK to do so.
Yma o Hyd
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Here's a good start

http://www.bats.org.uk/

The presence of bats can bring all sorts of building work to a standstill

Malc

ok its a second start meic beat me to it :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Brian R Pateman

Post by Brian R Pateman »

Bats often like to live in the roof space of new properties. I assume that the present fad for UPVC soffits and barge boards makes this difficult for them.

When we lived in Wales we had a roost in each end of the house. The bats were no problem and we enjoyed watching them come out at dusk. One of our cats used to enjoy climbing onto the roof and trying to catch them as they emerged (they are very like flying mice).

As she took no notice of my warning that the bat is a protected species the roof soon sprouted a wire mesh fence around the edge.

Unfortunately we don't have bats in our present house, there isn't room for them as the roof is a home for starlings!
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Bats are more likely to be roosting in existing buildings rather than out in the countryside. Because they are protected, their presence in a building can prevent works being carried out on the building.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

bogmyrtle wrote:Bats are more likely to be roosting in existing buildings rather than out in the countryside. Because they are protected, their presence in a building can prevent works being carried out on the building.
Indeed it is the building being used by bats that have restrictions not open spaces.
If there are any large trees due to be felled before work commences it's worth getting them checked out.
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

They taste like chicken... :P
Best regards

Harry
meic

Post by meic »

You would have to have quite a lot of them to find that out!

I reckon it would take half a dozen pipistrelles to get a mouth full.
Yma o Hyd
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Flat ones are for cricket, round ones for baseball.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche