How do I catch at cat?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: How do I catch at cat?

Postby Mick F » 1 Nov 2012, 2:49pm

Thanks guys again.
We have a "cat lady" in the village, but she was involved it trying to find Nellie, she spent weeks and failed. Nellie found us meanwhile!

BTW, Nellie turned up about an hour ago. I gave her some food - she didn't finish it - and now she's asleep on our bed.

Mrs Mick F is up in Manchester - back tomorrow afternoon. She's the cat/pet person, and will have the final say in what happens to the bully .................. unless I get to the damned thing tonight. :twisted:
Mick F. Cornwall

byegad

Postby byegad » 1 Nov 2012, 3:58pm

A 12 bore would do the trick. However it's a bit terminal! :evil:
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

MarkF

Postby MarkF » 1 Nov 2012, 4:05pm

My mothers cats were terrorised by a feral monster, she borrowed a trap (from memory, from the local cat refuge) and soon caught it. Was a simple flat pack affair, erected as cage with a one-way door, then covered with a blanket. Your local vet/RSPCA/refuge will surely have them, worth asking anyway.

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 1 Nov 2012, 4:18pm

byegad wrote:A 12 bore would do the trick. However it's a bit terminal! :evil:

I have this mental picture of Mick dressed in Gladiator armour, with net and trident, waiting for the trap to be sprung. :shock:
(waiting for the lions)
There's no such thing as a tailwind.
It's either a headwind, or you're going well.

CW

Postby CW » 1 Nov 2012, 5:06pm

Had a mate who had problems with a troublesome cat. He dug a hole in his garden, put food in the bottom, waited patiently. Cat came along and started to devour the free food. He used his shotgun. Cat was in a ready made grave and just filled it in.
He had other strange ways. He needed to run a wire under his floorboards in a bedroom but whatever he did he couldn`t get it from one side of the room to the other. He got his small terrier dog, tied string to it. Pushed it down under the boards blocked that access up and enticed it to run to the other side. Then pulled the wire through.
Chris

Alex L

Postby Alex L » 1 Nov 2012, 5:29pm

CW wrote:He got his small terrier dog, tied string to it. Pushed it down under the boards blocked that access up and enticed it to run to the other side. Then pulled the wire through.

Doesn't sound strange to me. Used to be used when making planes. (not dogs but other animals).

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Nov 2012, 6:23pm

I should haave thought that if it's aready relaxed about using your catflap, having some sort of strong wire cage on the inside of the door (securely anchored and with some 100% sure way of closing the open side before moving it away from the door ) must be a winner.

I should have thought the first problem would be dealing with the smell of tomcat afterwards. :shock:

If you decide to kill it - rather than banish to live somewhere miles away - it must be done humanely. I genned up on squirrels a couple of years ago and the only approved methods of killing them when caught live which don't involve calling a vet are shooting and clubbing to death. Drowning isn't considered humane. I only know that bit because of a media item about the same time. The story went that somebody had talked to others about having caught and drowned a squirrel. He was reported to an animal charity who had him arrested, or so the report went, and detained by the police for several hours pending the charity's own people interviewing him. He ended up at court, prosecuted by the charity rather than the police and the case was dismissed - presumably in the absence of any evidence other than his reported conversation. He applied for his legal costs to be refunded and was refused, apparently on the basis that he was the author of his own misfortune.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Nov 2012, 6:34pm

Mike Sales wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:You can now get cat flaps that only admit cats with the right microchip. My daughter had the same problem, that solved it.

Al

We have a flap now which opens when a magnet on the cats' collar is near it. Works fine for both animals and requires no battery.

Friend of mine tells a wonderful story of their cat having a kitten, and setting it up with a collar.... came down the following morning to find kitten attached by magnet to fridge!

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Nov 2012, 6:36pm

Perhaps I am very sad, but this is my favourite cartoon of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9f04Dc ... re=related

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 1 Nov 2012, 6:40pm

I've caught a feral cat that had been coming in and eating out cats food - took it up to the vets to see if it belonged to anyone (something like 90% of cats are chipped nowadays).

Unfortunately they have a right to roam (which is more than people do this side of Hadrian's wall) so there wasn't much to do. Clearly he felt comfortable with me though - he chose our kitchen to come into to curl up and die :(

I'd catch it as you suggest - catflap set to in only. I'd get a litter tray out for yours and keep them in that night - else he'll just come in through the window.

Once cornered cats will tend to be relatively still, then make a wild break. In doing so they will lash out, and they don't care about knocking things over.

You will need an old towel and some decent gloves. Heavy trousers are also well advised. Make sure you can still grip with the gloves though - grabbing their scruff and pushing it down (hard enough that they aren't standing) is a good way to gain control, then have someone ELSE start with the towel - you don't have enough spare hands (unless you've managed to sit astride the cat).

Don't wrap the head - some cats will calm down, but some go absolutely ballistic! You can deal with something that is pointy at one end and has limited motion - cats are normally pointy at 5 ends, hence their potential for seriously harming you.

Do you *know* it's feral? I actually put a collar on the one we had visiting for a while, but no-one ever contacted us.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 1 Nov 2012, 6:54pm

Our cat is quite a softy and is bullied from time to time by next doors female cat we also get visits frm a black and white thing (gender unknown) who devours our cats grub in the early hours about once a week we get woken by squealing cats running up and down the stairs. so our "Mina" is going to get chipped and a new cat flap cost about £90 but we'll save on the cat food and the lost sleep.

One good deterant is to fill a large clear pop bottle with water and leave it near the cat flap. you might have to introduce your cats to it so they arnt bothered by it but the strangers dont like it. I put one in our back garden and every time Mina walked past it she gave it a dirty look. but the others stayed out. I might just try it out by the cat flap over week end and see what happens.

Next job is to go on ebay and have a look for a super soaker :lol: They don't like it up em you know :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 1 Nov 2012, 6:58pm

[XAP]Bob makes good suggestions regarding the towel and gloves. I have caught feral cats that way, and I have held cats, wrapped in towels for various examinations and prcedures. They will often calm down when held firmly by the scruff of the neck (but don't let any claws free of the towel!). The one that bit me was faster than the towel, and got me just above the top of the welding gloves I was wearing. :(
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 1 Nov 2012, 7:09pm

whilst hunting on ebay found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belgian-Olive ... 1c2b1b39ee

might be better than welding gloves :wink:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

Manx Cat

Postby Manx Cat » 1 Nov 2012, 7:16pm

PLEASE dont resort to killing him. Please.....

There is always another option to that. Cant believe folk are even discussing this.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 1 Nov 2012, 7:46pm

Mick F wrote:... I favour exporting our bully. If I feel vindictive enough, I'll take him up onto Dartmoor ...

That seems wrong, and so does killing it. I think it should be dealt with properly and taken to a destitute animal shelter (or whatever they are called).