Missing apples

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Missing apples

Postby mercalia » 24 Jun 2020, 6:39pm

squirrels eat apples? not my ones. wont touch any fruit I offer them.

D363

Postby D363 » 24 Jun 2020, 7:04pm

Paulatic wrote:**ALERT**
Thread resurrection

I’ve four Apple trees different ages different varieties. I went to see them last night armed with secateurs to thin the number of apples down.
Nothing I couldn’t find a single apple I’ve had bad years when there’s only been a few but never none at all.
All I can think of is it because of the super dry spring we had. There was plenty of blossom in spring but no fruit :(
What does the panel think?

Some varieties are prone to biennial cropping but you probably already know that. Weather conditions including lack of water can be a factor - it does seem strange that none of them has any fruit if it's not been a problem before though.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 24 Jun 2020, 8:05pm

.22 air rifle will sort squirrels out! Magpies too!

peetee

Postby peetee » 25 Jun 2020, 12:10pm

If you are sure there are no deer I would say the windfalls and lower branches have been taken by foxes. Most apple trees would be an easy climb for them so who knows, they could have taken the lot. I used to walk dogs regularly and some of them would take any and every apple they could find. It was quite amusing later in the season when the fruit started to turn - they were practically drunk and half asleep on their paws! :lol:
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 25 Jun 2020, 1:06pm

philvantwo wrote:.22 air rifle will sort squirrels out! Magpies too!

and quite illegal in built up areas?

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jun 2020, 1:17pm

peetee wrote:If you are sure there are no deer I would say the windfalls and lower branches have been taken by foxes. Most apple trees would be an easy climb for them so who knows, they could have taken the lot. I used to walk dogs regularly and some of them would take any and every apple they could find. It was quite amusing later in the season when the fruit started to turn - they were practically drunk and half asleep on their paws! :lol:

Windfalls !! :) They are usually the size of a Malteser around now
Oh to live in Cornwall I recall when we left Lands End around this time of year the combines were out before it even thinks of ripening up here.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 25 Jun 2020, 1:27pm

You can fire an air rifle providing its 50 yards from the centre of the nearest road, you are on your own property and no pellet leaves your boundary. The rifle must also be kept in a locked cupboard. I sprinkle a few nuts on the ground and use a 2x2 slab in case I miss. Put an egg there and the magpies will appear.

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 25 Jun 2020, 4:43pm

Thread resurrection

I’ve four Apple trees different ages different varieties. I went to see them last night armed with secateurs to thin the number of apples down.
Nothing I couldn’t find a single apple I’ve had bad years when there’s only been a few but never none at all.
All I can think of is it because of the super dry spring we had. There was plenty of blossom in spring but no fruit :(

Gales. We had a short ferocious gale in D & G just when the apple tree blossom was out. My big old tree took a battering and a lot of the leaves were wind burned. There will be some apples on it but not as many as normal.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 25 Jun 2020, 5:03pm

bogmyrtle wrote:
Thread resurrection

Gales. We had a short ferocious gale in D & G just when the apple tree blossom was out. My big old tree took a battering and a lot of the leaves were wind burned. There will be some apples on it but not as many as normal.

I think you could be right that same gale blew a neighbours Apple tree over.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Jun 2020, 8:32pm

Thread resurrection

Just read this to Mrs Mick F, because we had an issue with our blossom.

Our apple tree, and our quince tree both came into lovely full blossoms very quickly.
Then we had awfully high winds and some heavy rains only 36hrs later.
The blossoms were strewn everywhere and we expected the trees would be bereft of fruit.

However, both the trees have fruit growing on them, and we are amazed and very relieved. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

bogmyrtle

Postby bogmyrtle » 28 Jun 2020, 5:15pm

I wasn't expecting there would be many apples left on my tree after the usual July drop. Today's gale however might mean there's nothing left to drop in July.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.