Dog Training Web Sites

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Dog Training Web Sites

Post by Edwards »

My wife and I have decided to get a dog. We will be collecting her in about a week. :D

I am pleased to see that training has come a long way since I was a kid. So I am after learning more about the reward methods of dog training, so after reliable web sites for guidance.
Can anybody recomend any?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
DaveP

Re: Dog Training Web Sites

Post by DaveP »

IMHO, you dont want web sites, you want the local paper etc. so that you can find local classes.
A well trained dog can be a delightful and responsible member of your household. A poorly trained one can be a burden. Its a mistake to take a chance on going it alone. Not least because, in a class your pooch will be able to learn self control in the presence of other dogs.

What variety are you getting?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Unfortunately I am unable to attend classes due to ongoing problems.That is why I am after recommendations.

She is a year old red and white Collie.
Keith Edwards
ben007

Post by ben007 »

Working dogs need more stimulation than your lap type dogs, there's loads of ways to learn the basics, i find the 'clicker' way best send me a pm with your email address and ill forward you some useful notes for basic training clickers can be bought in pet shops for a couple of quid, remember patience and consistency work not shouting and beating
Ben
horizon

Post by horizon »

Keith: Jan Fennel's book came to our rescue a few years back. She now of course has a website:

http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/page.php?id=3

She was the first to explain why we had a "difficult" dog. All dogs need a degree of training but fundamental to it all is how the dog sees its place in the family hierarchy. If you have been offered the top dog in the litter you will have an uphill struggle. Jan Fennel uses greeting, eating and leading as key rituals to reinforce the subservient position of the dog. Dogs that bark and threaten passers-by are simply protecting their owners and have an inflated idea of their role. You may also find that the dog calls into question your own family arrangements so beware.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

There is no chance of the dog being beaten or shouted at, that is one of the reasons I have resisted for so many years. I have been reading up on clicker training and the use of treats including vegetables for this.
As we are now in a position to be able to spend the time with the dog and not working I let myself be convinced. I also have the doctors permission.

I am at the moment unable to read books but can manage computer text (highlighting single words and sentences). Hence the need for web stuff but it has to be short.
Might give the DVD a try but if there is to many different things to concentrate on I get confused. You do not want to be with me when I try to watch TV series like Merlin.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Ben007 welcome to the forum
Keith Edwards
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

The problem with dog training websites is the average computer mouse is designed for human hands. My dog's paws keep slipping off ours. He also has problems pressing keys as he tends to press down several at a time.

Need a dog-specific PC I think but a laptop might also work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVt_VwjEHqU
ben007

Post by ben007 »

Edwards wrote:Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Ben007 welcome to the forum

Anytime, hope the email stuff is of use, I should of joined the forum years ago but never had the time
dionherbike

Post by dionherbike »

There are quite a few good dog training videos on youtube (and some bad ones). One contributor in particular seems to be quite good - tab289. Sadly, I don't have a dog, but would dearly love one. Occasionally I torture myself by watching videos like this and looking at the dog rescue websites until it gets too painful. All the best to you and I am truly envious.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

dionherbike wrote:There are quite a few good dog training videos on youtube (and some bad ones). One contributor in particular seems to be quite good - tab289. Sadly, I don't have a dog, but would dearly love one. Occasionally I torture myself by watching videos like this and looking at the dog rescue websites until it gets too painful. All the best to you and I am truly envious

Not knowing the good from bad is my problem.

I have read things from a few web sites I have found as well as the stuff sent and am taking the middle ground.
She responds well to the tone of your voice.
I tried clicker training but I could not get it to work, plus she seems to like praise from me more than treats.
She has settled in really well and after Christmas MrsE and her are going to training classes (puppy). They way the dog is going this will be to late.
This may change on our second visit this week when the check what she and us can do.

dionherbike if you find the rescue websites torture do not visit, fatal. You will fall in love at first sight with 4 at least and then feel guilty for only selecting one.
Keith Edwards
dionherbike

Post by dionherbike »

dionherbike if you find the rescue websites torture do not visit, fatal. You will fall in love at first sight with 4 at least and then feel guilty for only selecting one.[/quote]

Sounds like a voice of experience! How did you stop at just one? Di.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

dionherbike wrote:Sounds like a voice of experience! How did you stop at just one? Di

The home only let you take one at a time (unless the dogs already live together). Plus they make sure you know what is needed.

The Spaniel MrsE liked wanted to eat me, and the really cute mutt was off the wall when he was put on a lead.

We nearly went to the Evesham home to look at a springer called Sherlock. I could just imagine me walking him down the road saying "no shhh Sherlock" :oops:
Keith Edwards