Help, I just disturbed a hibernating hedgehog

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
7_lives_left

Help, I just disturbed a hibernating hedgehog

Post by 7_lives_left »

I was doing some gardening and I tipped out a bag full of leaves that I had composting from a couple of years ago, only to find that there was a hedgehog hibernating it it. I think it is too late to get the leaves and hedgehog back in the bag. For the moment I have just covered the hedgehog and leaves with some more sacks. Anyone have any suggestions for what to do next?
cycleruk

Re: Help, I just disturbed a hibernating hedgehog

Post by cycleruk »

There is a Buckingamshire number for "Tiggywinkles" who may be able to give advice.
I have seen them on TV so are quite well known.
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/carers.htm

Tel: 01844 292 292

You could also try Google for information.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Thanks cycleruk,
that www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk site had a page of example hedgehog shelters.

I have stuck a roomy polystyrene box with an entrance cut into the side at gound level under the bush where the sack of leaves came from. The box is filled with leaves and long dry grass. I'll see if that will tempt the creature in. If it chooses to clear off instead, at least I can claim that I tried to make amends.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

From your description it sounds as if the hedgehog has woken up, otherwise you should just be able to stick it in inside your shelter.

If it has woken up you should offer it food (dog food IIRC) and water as per advice you will find under the FAQ about hibernation towards the bottom of this page: http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/FAQS/faq.htm

However, you are not a million miles away from the famous Tiggywinkles: http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/ Give them a call if you want.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hedgehog rescue centres usually take them in for the winter and feed up the underweight ones before hibernating them. Come the spring they usually call you so you can collect them and return them to where you found them. Don't mention the pun***** fairy :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

BeeKeeper wrote:From your description it sounds as if the hedgehog has woken up, otherwise you should just be able to stick it in inside your shelter.

I don't think it woke up but I can't be sure. I seemed to huff and puff a bit like it was breathing very deeply but it didn't make any attempt to move. I was relucant to handle it because I was afraid I would wake it. I think it is going to be mild overnight. I'll put some more leaves over it and see it it is still there in the morning. Then I might try St TiggyWinkles.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

While its not a good thing you woke the poor hog up, I envy you for actually having them where you live.

We don't have them round here - you don't even see squashed ones on the road. I hadn't seen one in decades until last year, when we were camping in Wiltshire. We were woken up by scuffling noises round the rubbish bag. Malcolm got up, and then called me to look - there was a lovely healthy hedgehog trying to find its way into our leftovers. We gently persuaded him to leave the tent (it was in the porch area not in the tent itself) but it was fabulous actually seeing one.

Jan