What have we come to?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mrjemm

Re: What have we come to?

Postby mrjemm » 16 Dec 2012, 10:12pm

OK, now then... will you both agree that this- http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya_travel is art?

:D

cycle cat

Postby cycle cat » 16 Dec 2012, 10:25pm

A woman in a boob tube and hot pants?
Thank goodness for soup.

meic

Postby meic » 16 Dec 2012, 10:30pm

That is much more to my taste. :D

However what the art normally says to me isnt what I would prefer to hear. :cry:
Yma o Hyd

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Dec 2012, 10:37pm

mrjemm wrote:OK, now then... will you both agree that this- http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya_travel is art?

Not really,it's pretty much like any other Vaya.........that's not been coloured in :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Dec 2012, 10:38pm

al_yrpal wrote:Ok, my answer is, very nice, we obviously like some of the same things. I don't care about the money side,but have been pressured to try selling things. The trouble with painting on canvases and not selling or giving away stuff is space. You are faced with foisting things on people, trying to sell them or destroying them and by putting them in the bin. I suppose if you are very good and well known you don't have that problem! I would still like to understand and appreciate the painting in the original post though. Anybody got a clue?

Al

It's a feeling.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 16 Dec 2012, 10:48pm

Some bikes are beautiful, the Vaya isn't a particularly graceful one. I don't think you can beat bikes like Mercians etc. The Vayas forks are a bit ugly compared with the slender forks on older road bikes. Obviously my friend won't agree. :D

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 16 Dec 2012, 10:51pm

reohn2 wrote:
mrjemm wrote:OK, now then... will you both agree that this- http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya_travel is art?

Not really,it's pretty much like any other Vaya.........that's not been coloured in :wink:

Sacrilege. Tis stainless (drool), with S&S couplings (slurp) and alternator drop outs (...oooh, erm, oooer). And £1700 frame'n forks, so it must be art!

Awright then...

Hehehe, I actually agree Al- I prefer the looks of curved forks, or even skinnier straight ones, and horizontal top-tubes. I did think that vandalism of art had occurred though when my bike was 1st scratched outside HMV by a girl's awful botch up build. Grrr.
Last edited by mrjemm on 16 Dec 2012, 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Dec 2012, 10:51pm

al_yrpal wrote:Some bikes are beautiful, the Vaya isn't a particularly graceful one. I don't think you can beat bikes like Mercians etc. The Vayas forks are a bit ugly compared with the slender forks on older road bikes. Obviously my friend won't agree. :D

Al

Eye,beauty,beholder,in :wink:

horizon

Postby horizon » 16 Dec 2012, 11:22pm

al_yrpal wrote:Ah! RCA - Perhaps you can explain how we should experience something when confronted by coloured squares on a canvas that's not even very pleasing to most folks eyes?

Is it art, an old fashioned fashion, or simply a con?

Genuine query, not taking the p....

Al

I'm certainly no expert (though I've got an 'O' Level in art if that helps) but I would happily pay a great deal of money for that painting if I had the money ... which I don't. I would certainly pay for a print. To me it is so pleasing.... :D

BTW we cannot be sure we are seeing the same painting, even allowing for differences of monitor etc.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 16 Dec 2012, 11:32pm

Once upon a time, when the Tate was just the Tate (without Modern, Britain, Liverpool, etc.) I bought a selection of slides in the gift shop of my favourite pieces that I'd seen that day. I had Rothko in that little paper bag of delights (more than 1, I seem to recall). So I have paid for it! Wish I knew what happened to them.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 16 Dec 2012, 11:55pm

Got plenty of blank canvases that I was recently given when someone else packed it in, so I might try and knock one up along the same lines. :D as an experiment....

Have been looking on the web at what he was getting at. Horizon's one is more attractive than the fairly dull colour ones that are in the Tate. He is not connected with the Hepworth lot as far as I can see. I do like doing colourful things though:

Clear Water Mark by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Fresco - loose spinaker by Alyrpal, on Flickr
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Dec 2012, 9:31am

Both "constructs" :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2012, 2:00pm

I prefer a Beryl Cook.
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 17 Dec 2012, 2:41pm

Beryl is quite 'big' in Cornwall. Her stuff is unique. Sadly there won't be any more. I enjoy looking at naive stuff like hers in galleries and whenever we go back to Cornwall especially at Mid Cornwall galleries. Loads of great artists down there.

The first one I did in Acrylics and the second was the first thing I did on a tablet.

Al

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 17 Dec 2012, 2:45pm

I thought your 1st there, Al, was the yacht Atalanta of Chester, hitting that big red tanker at Cowes. :wink:

2nd one could be a Folkboat.