What have we come to?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: What have we come to?

Post by meic »

al_yrpal wrote:Beryl is quite 'big' in Cornwall. Her stuff is unique. Sadly there won't be any more. I enjoy looking at naive stuff like hers in galleries and whenever we go back to Cornwall especially at Mid Cornwall galleries. Loads of great artists down there.

The first one I did in Acrylics and the second was the first thing I did on a tablet.

Al

That rings true.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

meic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Beryl is quite 'big' in Cornwall. Her stuff is unique. Sadly there won't be any more. I enjoy looking at naive stuff like hers in galleries and whenever we go back to Cornwall especially at Mid Cornwall galleries. Loads of great artists down there.

The first one I did in Acrylics and the second was the first thing I did on a tablet.

Al

That rings true.

Everyone has to start somewhere! Some never start.... :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Beryl Cook was born in Surrey, but lived in Devon since the 1960s.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7717373.stm
Nowt to do with Cornwall.

Lodsa pictures about Plymouth.
Dolpin.jpg
Dolpin.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 410 times
This is outside The Dolphin on the Barbican. Great pub, and well worth a visit if you come to Plymouth. Local people, and fishermen off the quay, and draught Bass straight out of the barrel.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I didn't say she was anything to do with Cornwall, just that her paintings are everywhere there. The sort of feel good stuff you find in seaside places. I want to ride the painters trail around East Anglia next year. I like old Ted Wessons watercolours he painted quite a lot there. Each painting very quick:

a 'Ted' by Alyrpal, on Flickr
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Butt and Oyster? Ramsgate Arms? Looks familiar.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just an imaginary scene in East Angular as Jade used to say. I really enjoyed cycling out from Southwold every day when I was there last. Took ancient MIL who didn't get going until about 11.30am after lots of faffing about. That left me from sunrise to then to ride around the slopes (there were no hills) and paint some pictures it was great. Apparently there is a Painters Trail, so I was planning to go alone and explore that in the summer. Trouble is, the brochure they did is now out of print and I don't know the way.

Al
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Probably one gathering dust on an upper shelf in Ipswich tourist info office. Or in a map section of a charity bookshop somewhere.
Brian R Pateman

Post by Brian R Pateman »

al_yrpal wrote:Just an imaginary scene in East Angular as Jade used to say.

If it's an Edward Wesson it is very unlikely to be an imaginary scene.

He was very prolific and we have a number of his paintings here at Pateman Towers.

As an East Anglian exiled to Cumbria, these scenes make me very homesick for the flat lands and wide open skyscapes.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

http://www.localgiftstore.com/shop/shop ... -12408~144

Here you go Al. I tried putting one in my basket, and it seems to work. :D

Brian R Pateman wrote:As an East Anglian exiled to Cumbria, these scenes make me very homesick for the flat lands and wide open skyscapes.

Being same, (just down the road, over the county line), I get that feeling when I come to some of the hills round our way!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ah! thanks Mr j , the last time I tried to buy one of those they couldn't supply it. I shall give it a whizz. It's my painting in the style of a Ted. I often look at artists I admire and try to emulate their style. I have been on a couple of courses with Steve Hall who teaches watercolour in Teds style. Like many others I have painted Teds Shed which is the ferrymans shed at Walberswick. It must be the most painted shed in Britain. I discovered Ted when one of my friends sniffed at my watercolours and mentioned Ted. Ted was prolific because he taught and knocked off half a dozen paintings in a morning as demonstrations before the pubs opened. I love his stuff. I am trying to do John Pipers at the moment. Can't afford one , just try and paint it!

Al