resolutions for 2013

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rollinbone

resolutions for 2013

Post by rollinbone »

I made a resolution for this year (2012) that I would no longer shout at motorists - even if they are trying to kill me.
This I have done successfully and find I'm a calmer person for it (that my opinion and I'm sticking to it -OK!)

However this has not stopped me thinking horrible thoughts about our 4 wheel 'friends'
So in 2013 I think I will progress into not even thinking about idiot motorists as well - block them from my world totally
This I think will be harder to do

More resolutions to inspire me into 2013 please
JohnW

Re: resolutions for 2013

Post by JohnW »

rollinbone wrote:..................More resolutions to inspire me into 2013 please.............

To do more miles - if ever it stops raining.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Just look forward to the spring and dry roads, get the summer bike out, and enjoy... 8)
Power to the pedals
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Hoping to do JOGLE next year so my resolutions are very boring, to lose weight, lots, and improve fitness, greatly. Actually looking forward to it, getting fit I mean.Long story I wont ore you with but chronic illness means I haven't been able to do all I'd like, but hopefully getting there. Eating all the food and drinking all the booze in the house,ready for a new start :lol:
'Kernow bys Vyken'
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

jezer wrote:Just look forward to ...........dry roads........the summer..........enjoy... 8)

.........dry - what's that?.................I hope the coming summer is dryer than the last..........
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

mine will be to try and get some more miles in
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

The usual. Get thinner and fitter and get a better job.
Oh, and I must save some money each month.
Thank goodness for soup.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

I have to confess 2012 wasn't a brilliant year cycling-wise for me.

It started well - I was cycling to work in January which was a first, having never commuted through the winter before and I really enjoyed it. I was made redundant from one of my two part-time jobs in April, and had every intention of extending my usual weekend pootle on the days at home. I was defeated by lots and lots of rain, and the attraction of doing loads of household bits and bobs I hadn't previously had time for...

It went completely haywire in May when my Mum managed to snap her kneecap (she has osteoporosis) and I had to shuttle between here and Chichester on a weekly basis to do her shopping before she had an op in September. She still hasn't regained full mobility, and I'm still going down there almost every week. Time for cycling has virtually vanished - I really struggle to justify just going out for a couple of hours when other tasks don't get done.

I'm really hoping things will improve in 2013. I could actually go out tomorrow, except we're forecast heavy rain and high winds..................... :roll:

Jan
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Resolutions? Don't 'do' 'em..... :twisted:

Well perhaps I do sometimes. NYR's are a bit personal aren't they? Tilted towards self-improvement rather than pure altruism? If so I'm as self-centred - as selfish - as the next man, NYR-wise.

One I made last January - well, in truth I made it some time earlier, and kept it until last month - was the selfishest of the lot, I suppose. I would shun the forums. The cycling-based ones, I mean. I just wanted out. I did have some good reasons.

My posting on here is testimony to my having broken that one, last month :) . Someone's bound to come along shortly, to say, Pete you should have kept it.... :evil:

As to more conventional NYRs - cycling-related ones I suppose. Well just to keep up the cycling is resolution enough. Keeping up the commute - except in extreme snowy or icy weather - that's not too hard at the moment with a distance of only two miles. But - come next March or April - that shoots up to ten miles each way. I'm not moving house nor changing jobs, my workplace is relocating.

The new route could be almost all along narrow country lanes, which sounds like a Good Thing all told - I know all the lanes intimately and would find it easy to pick several alternative routes. So far so good. But I usually go out on those lanes at weekends. Whether they degenerate into rat runs on weekday mornings or evenings....

And there's no way I would contemplate a ten-mile ride in heavy rain, followed by the same distance back in the evening. I can see a switch to getting in the car a lot of the time, looming... :oops:

So not so good. If I can still cycle two or three days a week, better than nothing. But if 2013's weather is anything like 2012's..... :cry:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
hondated

Post by hondated »

Sorry to add a depressive tone to the thread but having just put the phone down from a call I had from my mate who sadly informed methat his wife had collapsed and died yesterday ( he really must still be in a state of shock given how calmly he told me ) my resolution for 2013 although I had planned it to be to cycle more miles is now to just enjoy every minute of every day and if that involves cycling so be it.
Life really can be cruel at times can't it.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Thinking of ditching the bike computer in 2013.

Whilst it's great to keep a log of mileage covered etc, as I get older these distances might start to decrease, as too will my average speed. Keeping the computer will be a constant reminder of how / if I'm slowing down, ditching it means I wont have a constant reminder staring in my face and just might allow me to focus on the enjoyment of riding the bike instead of riding against stats!
hondated

Post by hondated »

PaulG wrote:Thinking of ditching the bike computer in 2013.

Whilst it's great to keep a log of mileage covered etc, as I get older these distances might start to decrease, as too will my average speed. Keeping the computer will be a constant reminder of how / if I'm slowing down, ditching it means I wont have a constant reminder staring in my face and just might allow me to focus on the enjoyment of riding the bike instead of riding against stats!

That sounds definitely like a good idea to me because I would only then need to worry about my speed when someone passes me.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

hondated wrote:Sorry to add a depressive tone to the thread but having just put the phone down from a call I had from my mate who sadly informed methat his wife had collapsed and died yesterday ( he really must still be in a state of shock given how calmly he told me ) my resolution for 2013 although I had planned it to be to cycle more miles is now to just enjoy every minute of every day and if that involves cycling so be it.
Life really can be cruel at times can't it.

How true, this year a chap that I went to school with collapsed and died, not that old, my age 58. One of his brothers came home from Australia for the funeral. Less than a week later when arriving at the airport for his journey home he was told that his other brother, also in his 50s had also died suddenly. Live your life, we have only one.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't do New Years' resolutions. If something is worth doing, it doesn't matter when, or for how long, and it doesn't need a resolution. It needs a plan and commitment (or spontaneity). :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I don't do New Years' resolutions. If something is worth doing, it doesn't matter when, or for how long, and it doesn't need a resolution. It needs a plan and commitment (or spontaneity). :D

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden