Ignored in a bike shop

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hexhome

Re: Ignored in a bike shop

Post by hexhome »

byegad wrote:Totally agree. The bottom line is to pass a law that says, in effect, 'Trading here? Taxed here.' Then close down the first firm, no matter which one, that you catch avoiding that law. The rest have a choice, pay up or leave.

I'm not sure that would be achievable. We live in a world economy and can buy from any source. As long as the provider is paying tax in their home country, they are safe under international law. I note that John Lewis gained online sales as a result of the 'naming and shaming' which I personally think is a good trend.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

But if Amazon has to pay more taxes then presumably it will have to charge more and so the price difference between them and the high street will be less. So more incentive to shop on the high street?

Nice theory of course but I doubt it works in practice as the advantage of any online shop is the sheer range of goods available.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

My curiosity has been aroused by some of the presumptions raised here (my own included). One of the things which I suspected was happening was that Amazon had a deal with Google so that they appeared prominently in any product search. This turned out to be only partially true, they are prominent in free listings only.

What I have actually found with a small range of products researched for sale at Amazon, John Lewis and at a local retailer is that the prices were identical (actually John Lewis knocked off the 99p!). The items were a Samsung 40" 3D TV (UE40ES6540S) a PURE EVOKE-2S and (not available from Amazon) a Bosch washing machine.

In these limited cases chosen at random, Amazon were not the cheapest, did not have a better range and were no more convenient (my local store will deliver and remove previous item at an arranged time).

I also did a search for some cycle components and accessories and there is a large range but most are sold by cycle shops using Amazon as a marketplace.

So I conclude that it is all down to Amazon being a prominent link on Google. You can find almost anything you want (except a washing machine) on Amazon at a very good price but rarely the best. Their tax avoidance savings are not passed down to the customer but to their shareholders. More tax paid by Amazon would not affect prices as they are clearly set to compete with the local market.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Interesting research! I think then part of their success comes as being the default portal for buying anything. e.g. I asked my wife to get me an iPad Mini - she wanted to buy it on Amazon, as that's where she buys everything. Said it would be better getting it from Apple ;)
Brennan

Post by Brennan »

With the upsurge in cycling, I wonder if the shops are getting complacent, knowing that they have a captive market, (for now at least).
They no longer try to keep your custom and take the short term view that it's better to make a quick buck rather than foster the sort of loyalty that will see them through the next downturn, and you can be sure there will be a downturn at some stage.
Many years ago I lived in east London, but travelled into Romford to Rory O'briens for most of my cycling kit as they were knowledgeable, polite, non-patronising and generally very nice people.
Mick, who owned the shop with his wife Mandy, sold the shop to a motorcycle trader, and things changed overnight. They subsequently went out of business, a fate which awaits most of the unpleasant shops we have today.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Brennan wrote:Mick, who owned the shop with his wife Mandy, sold the shop to a motorcycle trader, and things changed overnight. They subsequently went out of business, a fate which awaits most of the unpleasant shops we have today.
Curiously enough, the small shop in France where we bought two bikes some years ago - one for Mrs P and one for me - was a shop that also sold mopeds and small motorbikes - there are lots of shops like that in France - and the atmosphere couldn't have been pleasanter! It was evidently a family-run concern: both husband and wife were in the shop and offering us plenty of helpful advice. Setting aside language difficulties (neither of them spoke much English and my French is far from fluent!) we certainly did end up with the bikes we wanted! And at a very reasonable cost.

Perhaps that's the answer - a quick trip on the ferry to buy your bike (could save money too - depending on the Euro exchange rate?)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm careful with my money - a euphmism for saying I'm a meanie - so I do check carefully before I buy. Price isn't everything and the standard of service at Amazon IME is very high. I do also try to be fair: I'd not go into a shop to try on clothing and then buy by mail order. I've so much accumulated bike stuff that I rarely need to buy anything these days but my first port-of-call would be my LBS.

We haven't got a John Lewis in Leeds, although there's been one on the cards for some time. We did go to the John Lewis shop at the Manchester Trafford Centre and I was rather underwhelmed. I noticed a Dyson vac which I thought might be ideal for my mother but I couldn't see how it worked. Three assistants - I believe they are called partners in there - were having a pressing chinwag in SMIDSY mode - so I left it. The cafe was a shambles. I probably had an unlucky day but these things stick in the mind.

While I'm on I had a strange experience in the men's clothing department of a famous chainstore this morning. It dawned on me that I was being followed around and closely watched by a security man. I was slow to notice that I had "come to notice" because my intentions were completely honest. This wasn't just any security man - it was an M&S security man. The shop was fairly quiet, even for a Monday morning but the only obviously different thing about me was that I was an old codger on my own. All the other old codgers in there were being lead about by women telling them to try on this or that, or telling them that what they thought they wanted looked silly. Some were protesting a bit, most were resigned to their situation. In fact, the nearest thing to a free man was a chap whith his granddaughter in the trolley. He tried on a cloth cap and she burst out laughing. We agreed that at least the opinions of children were frank. (Exeunt to the Last of the Summer Wine theme tune. :oops: )
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

You could have had some fun there. Like pretending to bundle up some stuff and make for the exit before doing a swift u-turn ;)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mark1978 wrote:You could have had some fun there. Like pretending to bundle up some stuff and make for the exit before doing a swift u-turn ;)

My main reason for being in the shop was to buy some thermal vests for my mother. In lingerie (now pronounced lanzheray) and after doing the Father Ted sketch for a while, I found an assistant able to direct me to the thermals. A security man in pusuit is the last thing I need. :oops:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

thirdcrank wrote:We haven't got a John Lewis in Leeds, although there's been one on the cards for some time.

When did Lewis in the Headrow close? I noticed it had gone in 2007, was it a different company though? I used to love looking round there as a kid. King Charles Sports Centre was another one, my dad once asked them if they do bed and breakfast in there. :lol:

It dawned on me that I was being followed around and closely watched by a security man.

I got stalked by a store detective in Boots once, after I looked up at the CCTV camera for no particular reason. He looked as if he thought he was working undercover judging by the way he stood next to me casually leafing through the records, but if you're in shirtsleeves among a shop full of customers wearing soaking wet overcoats you tend to stick out like a sore thumb. :)

I got followed round a furniture store once by an assistant who presumably thought I didn't look like the sort who buys furniture. He wasn't far wrong really, the only furniture I've bought in the last 25 years is a bed and a TV stand. He kept ducking behind the roof pillars every time I turned round, then as I left the shop they were all lined up at the door like a smirking guard of honour. They must have thought they'd foiled a plot to smuggle a wardrobe out hidden in the lining of my coat. :)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It did rather put me off PC World one time when I'd arrived there on foot and got asked by the security guard to put my backpack back in 'my car', I explained I didn't have a car, so being 21 at the time and having no car I must have been even more suspicious and he asked me to leave my bag at the desk. No way was I doing that! It was especially annoying since I'd spent £1,800 on a laptop there the week before! Shows how long ago that was!
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

I get tired of the constant attention in our local LBS- can't walk in for a browse without feeling as if I am centre of attention. Maybe I just look shifty. But I would much rather be left alone until I was ready for assistance, when I would make myself known to them.

As for John Lewis in Manchester, I would suggest going a bit around the ring road to the Cheadle Hulme (Royal?) branch; far more civilised- i.e. easier parking and no grim shopping centre surroundings. I've found the staff there friendlier too. And going into Manchester on the A34 takes you right by Bicycle Doctor, and Edinburgh Bikes just along from them. Cycle Surgery fairly close also, but didn't care for them.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Part of the problem in my LBS is I was one of their first customers - was in their on their opening day and ordered a bike a week later, and take it back for servicing etc, so they know me all too well! They are very much high end focused so are probably like "Here's that tw*t with his £300 bike again!"
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

mrjemm wrote:I get tired of the constant attention in our local LBS- can't walk in for a browse without feeling as if I am centre of attention. Maybe I just look shifty. But I would much rather be left alone until I was ready for assistance, when I would make myself known to them.

As for John Lewis in Manchester, I would suggest going a bit around the ring road to the Cheadle Hulme (Royal?) branch; far more civilised- i.e. easier parking and no grim shopping centre surroundings. I've found the staff there friendlier too. And going into Manchester on the A34 takes you right by Bicycle Doctor, and Edinburgh Bikes just along from them. Cycle Surgery fairly close also, but didn't care for them.

Know just what you mean, I'm just round the corner from JL cheadle, and if you stay on the old A34 I think it's now the B5358 nip down through Handforth and pop into Rick Greens, Great little bike shop. :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Mark1978 wrote:But if Amazon has to pay more taxes then presumably it will have to charge more and so the price difference between them and the high street will be less. So more incentive to shop on the high street?

Nice theory of course but I doubt it works in practice as the advantage of any online shop is the sheer range of goods available.

Even at identical prices to the High St I'd shop online for three reasons;
1. I hate shopping in town.
2. 'Town' is ten miles away and with a large item I'd need to take the car, so petrol costs, and parking charges will still make the internet shop cheaper, given so many online shops now offer free delivery.
3. I hate shopping in town!
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine