Bad weather approaching...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Bad weather approaching...

Post by al_yrpal »

We have been stocking up the freezer and store cupboards today in anticipation of the snow. Last time, two years ago, we had snow on a Friday and lots of working people stayed at home and only ventured out to completely strip the shelves of the village's one small Co-op Supermarket. Lots of old people were left without milk, bread or other staples. I managed to retrieve MIL from her local flat after getting completely stuck several times. Later I did a trip to a big Tesco to get loads of milk bread and eggs for the old folk round and about. There were only about 5 4WDs in the car park! As Oxfordshire CC are absolutely useless this year our Parish council spent money on rock salt and push spreaders and on Saturday morning and yesterday we were out spreading salt on all the main pavements. So on Friday I wont be out on the bike but will probably spend all day pushing a shovel. I expect Mick will be sledging or skiing down his drive :D , what are your plans?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mark1978

Re: Bad weather approaching...

Post by Mark1978 »

I think your post is a few days late, hasn't the snow come and gone?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mark we had a light fall on Monday but are promised 4" on Friday which will be much more serious..
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

The Tesco van arrives this evening with supplies and the fields around here are well stocked with pick-your-own horses if I need something fresher. :wink:

The last few days commuting have been getting steadily colder. I broke out the earwarmers this evening but the pannier is well stocked with other Scott of the Antarctic grade extras.

No work for the rest of the week. I'm toying with a ride tomorrow, I'll let Friday get a little closer before further planning.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Greybeard became Whitebeard during the 6am ride to work this morning :shock: Must remember to dig out the helmet liner for tomorrow.

Steve
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

A sprinkling of snow here. I hope the tesco van can get throughtonight. :D
Thank goodness for soup.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He'll just hitch his horse up to tow the van.
Mick F. Cornwall
jezer

Post by jezer »

Most bad weather events, as they call them now, seem to have been overplayed in recent times. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Of course, I could be wrong, and perhaps it will be a fabulous cycling weekend, apart from Lance's confession of course.
Power to the pedals
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

2-4" of snow is not a crisis, it's fun.

2-4' would be different.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

[XAP]Bob wrote:2-4" of snow is not a crisis, it's fun.

2-4' would be different.

Yup agreed :D
Rich
fatgirlonabicycle

Post by fatgirlonabicycle »

gaz wrote:The last few days commuting have been getting steadily colder. I broke out the earwarmers this evening but the pannier is well stocked with other Scott of the Antarctic grade extras.

Ill prepared then?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

After all the dire warnings we ended up with 3 1/2" ! Blinking county council never gritted the bus route, result no buses! Been out with the village snow team this morning gritting pavements. Mtb tommorow for 15 miles off road in the snow - what fun!

Al
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

There are numerous conflicting reports on the weather. This Sunday I've got to drive down to Oxford and back taking Sarah back to uni (Oxford Brookes) I'll ask the audience please, Whats the M6 M40 M42 like from Manchester down to Oxford? :D

Ta lots folks

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

al - if Cragg Vale fills with snow this week, it'll still be there in June!!!!! - but there's a chance it'll have gone when the Tour rides up it next year.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

ferrit worrier wrote: Whats the M6 M40 M42 like from Manchester down to Oxford?

The bit down here is movable on the motorway. They should keep it clear tomorrow but not sure about towards Oxford.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar