Encouraging designers?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Punk_shore

Encouraging designers?

Post by Punk_shore »

How can designers be encouraged to make cycles easier to use, please? :idea:

There are potential riders who, for medical reasons, are challenged to ride current designs of cycle. :?
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
TonyR

Re: Encouraging designers?

Post by TonyR »

There are variants and adaptions around to cater for virtually everybody, although catering for small niches they may not be cheap. Can you be more specific about the problem you had in mind?
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

Yes Tony,

As stated to me by British Cycling (sporting body), they are: celebral palsy, autism and candidates for the Special Olympics (e.g. with learning difficulties).

:D Punk_shore
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

There are plenty of cyclists with CP on either bicycles or tricycles including in the Paralympics. e.g. Rik Waddon and David Stone who both won cycling medals in Beijing & London.

Autism is more difficult because of motor control and balance sensing problems and the very variable presentation. But not a lost cause at all. Have a look at icanshine.org who teach all sorts of kids including autistics to ride.

As I said almost everything is covered if you look.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And of course don't forget the world of recumbents, which caters to a very wide range of disability.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

I'd settle for them just not cutting steerers so short for a start. I noticed that one of the ones that CJ reviews in the latest Cycle has tons of steerer sticking up - I was tempted to buy it just for that without reading the review :wink: