Intuition

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Punk_shore

Intuition

Post by Punk_shore »

Found myself doing something the other day, without thinking about it. Needed to head towards the kerb again, having ridden around a pothole.

As well as the usual hands/ shoulder thing, I just knocked the front of the crossbar over a bit, by catching it with the inside of my right knee. Now this was interesting, because I couldn't recall that move in any of the textbooks.

Anyone else got any steering quirks, please?
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
CREPELLO

Re: Intuition

Post by CREPELLO »

When looking back before making for a right turn I lean forward a bit to reduce the tendency of a stretched arm pulling at the handlebars and causing a wobble. I've no idea if this is taught anywhere - I just learned it one day.
661-Pete

Re: Intuition

Post by 661-Pete »

Dim recollections here of my more youthful days, 'steering' my unicycle (technique long since forgotten). Since it has no visible control components, how on earth does one manage it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).