Drinking water out of the tap

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ronyrash

Drinking water out of the tap

Post by ronyrash »

[bien hoa vietnam]
only sunshine here.most of the time the water is drinkable ie,if it smells alright,looks alright, and tastes
alright,it is alright.plasic bottled water as brought wlth it a water phobia.fear of drinking anything other than alpine pure water.most people, most of the time,do not and never have drunk alpine pure water,and are non the worst for it, because
we have an inbuilt water cleansing system in our bodies.a healthy person as to drink alot of bad water to suffer serious ill effects.
661-Pete

Re: What's the water like around you

Post by 661-Pete »

ronyrash wrote:... we have an inbuilt water cleansing system in our bodies.a healthy person as to drink alot of bad water to suffer serious ill effects.
That is not true of a malnourished young child, or an elderly person ... nor indeed of an adult who's not at the peak of fitness. Else, why the epidemics of dysentery and cholera in the less fortunate parts of the world?

I've never had that sort of thing, not really - although... about 30 years ago I was on holiday in Andorra. There was an info leaflet somewhere, saying, don't drink the tap-water, take sterilising tablets or something. I thought, like so many young, reasonably fit (as I was then :? ) tourists, "stuff that, if I want to brush my teeth at the washbasin, I'm going to brush my teeth..."

I went down with something really nasty. :cry: "Norovirus" my foot, if it wasn't full dysentery it was something pretty close. Several others in the hotel also caught it. And this was Europe, I remind you. Ah well, once bitten twice shy....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
wirral_cyclist

Re: Drinking water out of the tap

Post by wirral_cyclist »

It is only relatively recently that Andorran ski resorts have removed the boiled water warnings, I was never affected by the water but others in our party became spectacularly ill... I'll drink tap water in most places but not all - I have a cast iron constitution and can afford to lose several stone, but not my life, and some places are way too risky!