there's a rat in my kitchen

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

there's a rat in my kitchen

Postby Si » 26 Feb 2013, 9:21am

...it's all gone a bit UB40!

Around 4pm yesterday Snipper (our cat) started getting very interested in the sofa. I thought that he'd lost a toy under there so moved it and a screeching brown flash flew out from under it...rapidly followed by Snipper. I'd heard some strange noises earlier so it must have been in the living room for a few hours. It almost got to the back door but fridge-suck took over and it disappeared behind the aforementioned white goods. From here it can get behind the fitted units and so it's impossible to get at it without taking half the kitchen apart. Heard some more noise around 10pm, went into the kitchen and found it on the counter, gave chase armed with a cullender to try and catch it, but it was too fast - blimey these things can jump high - and back behind the fridge it went. Various noises during the night..in the morning some fruit nibbled and various items knocked off shelves (kept Snipper in the living room over night).

Have just left the back door open this morning in the hope that it'll find its own way out. Also, I've tried to sprinkle pepper down the back of the fridge and the units to dissuade it from staying there. No idea if it's still there or not but it's a right pain having to keep the door between kitchen and living room shut as I keep having to get up to let Snipper in and out.

So, another interesting day on the cards. :roll:

breakwellmz

Re: there's a rat in my kitchen

Postby breakwellmz » 26 Feb 2013, 10:11am

Hi

Is it not worth leaving the cat in the kitchen overnight to let it do what cats do?

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 26 Feb 2013, 10:15am

Si wrote:Have just left the back door open this morning in the hope that it'll find its own way out.

That should ensure a house full of critters in search of warmth and food :roll:

meic

Postby meic » 26 Feb 2013, 10:22am

They stink like hell but this calls for a visit from a ferret, if you know of anybody with such a beast.
Yma o Hyd

breakwellmz

Postby breakwellmz » 26 Feb 2013, 10:27am

"Ee is no rat Mr Falty,ee is ampster"

Might be a bit lost on those over the pond,but i can`t get it out of my head!

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 26 Feb 2013, 10:32am

Call environmental health and they will come and put some poison down. You need to disinfect all your kitchen surfaces when the rodent could have been. To those that have, even more shall be given and they shall have abundance. :shock:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 26 Feb 2013, 10:36am

You either want a rat trap or contact your local council to get it trapped for you.
With your cat around your probably be slightly better off with a live trap.
I don't advise poison as it will stink the place out as it rots.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Feb 2013, 10:39am

The Mechanic wrote:Call environmental health and they will come and put some poison down. You need to disinfect all your kitchen surfaces when the rodent could have been. To those that have, even more shall be given and they shall have abundance. :shock:

Seconded. Don't try to catch the rat yourself. Get in touch with your local District Council: their website will have a section on rats. They will do no more than put poison down, which may not work (rats are very intelligent and tend to avoid anything they don't recognise in their path). Of course you need to keep pets away from the places where poison has been laid! Failing that you will need to go to the commercial services e.g. Rentokil, for more in-depth treatment.

Rats in the garden, especially around the compost heap, are something many households (including us) put up with. But rats in the kitchen, or anywhere near food, are definitely a no-no!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

The Mechanic

Postby The Mechanic » 26 Feb 2013, 11:18am

Another point from my farming days; A cat is not the best for catching a rat. Even a good terrier can often sustain wounds that later result in major surgery. Don't ask me how I know this.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 26 Feb 2013, 11:35am

Tigerbiten wrote:I don't advise poison as it will stink the place out as it rots.

Tell me about it. I worked in a place where the poisoned rats died on some inaccessible hot water pipes and it stank the place out for months until someone finally created access and removed the hot rotting corpses..

Si

Postby Si » 26 Feb 2013, 12:07pm

No to poison - got to think of the cats.

Our cat can certainly catch them - otherwise we wouldn't have this one in the kitchen! But he is inclined to just try to take them further into the house. In the past we've had live frogs, mice and squirrels brought in, plus various birds, so I guess he's trying to get the whole set! Just glad there are no sheep near by.

Been quiet for a while now - think that the pepper might have budged him - either that or he' got comfortable and is having a kip..

meic

Postby meic » 26 Feb 2013, 12:15pm

No, she is making a nice nest for the expected brood. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd

lisap

Postby lisap » 26 Feb 2013, 12:27pm

There is a poison called Eradibate which is a rat and mouse poison which has no poison in it. I used it on a rats nest in an old tree at the bottom of my garden two years ago and it was good.
It is supported by the owl trust as it kills the animals through dehydration rather than conventional posion so is safe for owls to eat the dead animal that is left.
More importantly it is cat and kid safe. A bit expensive but you know your own animals are safe.
I would second the bit about not letting a cat catch a rat - our stable cats regularly had to have trips to the vets for rat bites which had gone nasty and they were usually on the face.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 Feb 2013, 1:39pm

Rats, not nice, but not horrible.

In the country, there's as many as in the cities, but in the country they won't be living in the sewers. I'm sure there are dozens here and I know a friend who lives down the road often sees them. We don't see them at all, but I'm sure they're about.

Our daughter had a pet rat for a few years, a lovely brown and white female called Hazel. Very intelligent and intuitive - cuddly too. She would sit on Daughter1's shoulder and love to be stroked. They make great pets, it's just that they have a bad name. Mention "rat" to someone, and they immediately shudder.

Hopefully Si's rat will find it's own way out. No doubt it doesn't want to be in the house and would rather be outside in its natural environment.
Mick F. Cornwall

horizon

Postby horizon » 26 Feb 2013, 1:42pm

Look at it from the rat's point of view. He's hungry. So why is he in your kitchen and from where is he getting his food? We had two infestations of mice. In the first instance we cleared every source of food and used non-killing traps (the mice were released into the local woods). In the second instance I couldn't be bothered with the traps and we simply removed any source of food. They went. Of course rat poison exists - it is a money-making product solution to your problem. It is also lazy and stupid IMV - (no offence to anyone here). The local authority will also use poison as they are very "professional" and must follow current societal beliefs - poison is a must. Rentokil BTW will also sort out your dry rot problems by poisoning and semi-demolishing your entire house. That doesn't auger well for their intelligence when it comes to rat catching. By all means use a trap (they are quite big!) but mainly change the conditions by which the rat lives.

PS Society solves traffic problems by building more roads. It is no saner in its approach to pest control.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher