there's a rat in my kitchen

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
The Mechanic

Re: there's a rat in my kitchen

Postby The Mechanic » 26 Feb 2013, 2:02pm

horizon wrote:Look at it from the rat's point of view. He's hungry. So why is he in your kitchen and from where is he getting his food? We had two infestations of mice. In the first instance we cleared every source of food and used non-killing traps (the mice were released into the local woods). In the second instance I couldn't be bothered with the traps and we simply removed any source of food. They went. Of course rat poison exists - it is a money-making product solution to your problem. It is also lazy and stupid IMV - (no offence to anyone here). The local authority will also use poison as they are very "professional" and must follow current societal beliefs - poison is a must. Rentokil BTW will also sort out your dry rot problems by poisoning and semi-demolishing your entire house. That doesn't auger well for their intelligence when it comes to rat catching. By all means use a trap (they are quite big!) but mainly change the conditions by which the rat lives.

PS Society solves traffic problems by building more roads. It is no saner in its approach to pest control.

That is one point of view. Not one I share mind.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 26 Feb 2013, 2:06pm

horizon wrote:Look at it from the rat's point of view. He's hungry. So why is he in your kitchen and from where is he getting his food?

Unlike mice though, rats are pretty inventive and can cause major damage to get to the food they are after. They will happily gnaw through things we wouldn't think possible for example. Just be grateful you have the small versions.

rc2.jpg

breakwellmz

Postby breakwellmz » 26 Feb 2013, 2:12pm

This one seems to have made itself at home-

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2010/p ... 671720.jpg

cycle cat

Postby cycle cat » 26 Feb 2013, 3:36pm

Cue for a UB40 song....
There's a rat in my kitchen, now what am I gonna do? There's a rat in my kitchen, now what am I gonna do?
Thank goodness for soup.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Feb 2013, 4:34pm

breakwellmz wrote:This one seems to have made itself at home-

A capybara (that's what I think it is) is not really a sort of 'rat' - any more than guinea-pigs, beavers or squirrels are kinds of 'rats' (yes I know people call grey squirrels 'tree-rats'). I think we should concentrate on our old friend (not!) Rattus norvegicus.... If there's any creature I detest and loathe, that's it (and I'm OK about spiders and snakes... :shock: )
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

breakwellmz

Postby breakwellmz » 26 Feb 2013, 4:43pm

Yes,that`s what it is.
I wouldn`t have on MY lap!

I thought our`friend`was rattus rattus :?

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 26 Feb 2013, 5:03pm

661-Pete wrote:
breakwellmz wrote:This one seems to have made itself at home-

A capybara )

A coypu aka river or nutria rat actually.

horizon

Postby horizon » 26 Feb 2013, 5:13pm

TonyR wrote:
horizon wrote:Look at it from the rat's point of view. He's hungry. So why is he in your kitchen and from where is he getting his food?

Unlike mice though, rats are pretty inventive and can cause major damage to get to the food they are after. They will happily gnaw through things we wouldn't think possible for example. Just be grateful you have the small versions.

rc2.jpg

Apologies (and to The Mechanic). I meant to preface my post with "This is only a theory of mine but ...". I do believe that poison is a very poor solution but I admit that rats are pretty challenging. I just think that there must be a better, more intelligent way.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Feb 2013, 5:23pm

breakwellmz wrote:I thought our`friend`was rattus rattus :?
That's the black rat, the one which brought us bubonic plague, which is actually quite rare in Europe these days (the black rat I mean, not just the plague!). Don't worry, the common brown rat R. norvegicus is quite nasty enough, even if it doesn't bring the plague!

TonyR wrote:A coypu aka river or nutria rat actually.
That's what it is in your piccy, I think. Rather smaller than the capybara in breakwellmz's picture. We came across a coypu, squatting on the grass verge in a motorway service area in France, of all places. Don't know what it was doing there: may have been feral or maybe an escaped or abandoned pet. I believe feral coypu have been eliminated from Britain - which is just as well. Now if they could do the same for the rat...
Last edited by 661-Pete on 26 Feb 2013, 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

jezer

Postby jezer » 26 Feb 2013, 5:28pm

We have plenty of rats around here on the banks of the river outside my house. I even had one or more trying to get into my bathroom through the soil pipe a couple of years ago. Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch when the sofa was pulled back to expose a giant hole. "You don't have rats, you have sheep" was the comment :lol:
Power to the pedals

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 26 Feb 2013, 5:42pm

Jasper carrot "There is only one way to kill a mole"
OK he is talking about Moles and not Rats.
We had rat get under the floor in the kitchen I tried various traps and bates to no avail. But it took itself out when it bit through the electric cabling top the Spur on the fridge.
NUKe

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 26 Feb 2013, 6:58pm

meic wrote:They stink like hell but this calls for a visit from a ferret, if you know of anybody with such a beast.

At Your service :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

jezer

Postby jezer » 26 Feb 2013, 7:34pm

Oh err, I used to go rough shooting with a 12 bore shotgun In the 80's. This included ferrets being sent down rabbit holes. I wouldn't dream of doing it now. It makes me cringe to think of it :roll:
Power to the pedals

gaz

Postby gaz » 26 Feb 2013, 7:36pm

Si wrote:... From here it can get behind the fitted units and so it's impossible to get at it without taking half the kitchen apart....

I know not of your kitchen, but the plinths on all of our units are easily removed and replaced.

I'm not convinced I'd want to take them off and lie with my face on the floor poking a broom handle at a rat but the option may be there should you wish to take it :wink: .

You may find some tips on Edwards' rat thread.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Feb 2013, 8:02pm

Well, I couldn't let the opportunity slip by, to post a link to this helpful guide. Tells you all you need to know to solve the problem :lol: :lol: :lol: .