Perfect mid-ride picnic... suggestions please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fatgirlonabicycle

Perfect mid-ride picnic... suggestions please!

Postby fatgirlonabicycle » 18 Apr 2013, 1:22pm

Off on a mini-tour adventure this weekend. My co-conspirator is a fantastic baker and is making homemade energy bar things.

In exchange I said I'd sort out an amazing picnic lunch for the Saturday... but I'm stumped.

What would your perfect mid-ride picnic be?

Criteria:
Meat and mostly dairy free. e.g. No pork pies or chunky cheese sammiches! Fishies and eggs okay though.
Reasonably healthy and not to heavy on the tummy - Good fuel only please!
Suitable for consumption on a windblown moor.
Not too complicated to construct. I get nervous making anything that involved more than three pans.
Size not an issue - have plenty of room in the pannier, but would rather not be carting round a full complement of empty tupperware for the weekend.

Inspire me!

BeeKeeper

Re: Perfect mid-ride picnic... suggestions please!

Postby BeeKeeper » 18 Apr 2013, 1:34pm

Perhaps some sort of rice or pasta salad? Add feta cheese, tuna, smoked mackerel, walnuts, pinenuts, chillies plus of course a good dressing. Easily eaten with a fork.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 18 Apr 2013, 1:34pm

How about Spanish Omelette, take the potato pre cooked. Pack the eggs well :-)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 18 Apr 2013, 1:41pm

Hot or cold? I assume you're not minded to lug a camping stove around, so assume cold.
Do you like spicy? I mean reasonably spicy - not Lister-vindaloo-spicy! :shock: I do a fairly delectable couscous salad which is quite easy to concoct, you can control the flavour, and it's belly-filling. One saucepan and one bowl required for preparation. You'd need to take a container and a couple of spoons or forks. I can post the recipe if you like.

I also remember, bringing along on a group ride, a stack of home-made pakoras - also mildly spicy, completely vegan and they went down a treat amongst the other riders. A bit more tricky to make though - best to practice beforehand.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

fatgirlonabicycle

Postby fatgirlonabicycle » 18 Apr 2013, 1:49pm

Lovely, just the inspiration I needed!

Thinking a quinoa salad with lumps of smoked tofu and lots of yummy things. And maybe a trip to the local vegan deli for other nibbles.

Hungry now!

Mr. Viking

Postby Mr. Viking » 18 Apr 2013, 2:00pm

you could make kedgeree to eat cold, though you would need a coolbag, or something to make sure it doesn't warm up again and go manky.
here's a simple recipe, but it does seem like an excessive ammount of butter, I would probably use about a quarter of that quantity or if you're avoiding dairy, you could swap the butter for the same amount of ghee(clarified butter with most of the dairy components removed) or about 25ml of vegetable oil.
http://cookit.e2bn.org/recipes/25-kedgeree.html

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 18 Apr 2013, 2:05pm

Talk of Spanish omelette and tofu are making me drool. Cold tortilla is good too.

And roast peppers antipasti.

Who mouse? With dipping thingies.

Talking of dipping; bread, oil and perhaps a leetle balsamic. Simple joy.

Quinoa though... I'll just pick the tofu out if you don't mind. :| Now if it was in chickpeas, mmmmm.

And now my belly's rumbling with 3 hours to my 'lunch'. :cry:

Edit... Oooh, kedgeree, I was telling my colleague about it yesterday!

Mr. Viking

Postby Mr. Viking » 18 Apr 2013, 2:17pm

mrjemm wrote:Edit... Oooh, kedgeree, I was telling my colleague about it yesterday!

I'll probably make it for dinner now I've got myself thinking of it. I'll always remember the first time I had it. At my uncle and aunt's for lunch and this enormous cauldron of orange stuff with eggs in it appeared. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but it's one of my favourite dishes now

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 18 Apr 2013, 2:23pm

mrjemm wrote:Who mouse? With dipping thingies.
I take it, that was your spell-checker's rendition of hoummous (variously 'hummus', 'hoummus', etc. etc.) :lol: Got me a bit worried at first... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 18 Apr 2013, 2:28pm

661-Pete wrote:
mrjemm wrote:Who mouse? With dipping thingies.
I take it, that was your spell-checker's rendition of hoummous (variously 'hummus', 'hoummus', etc. etc.) :lol: Got me a bit worried at first... :shock:

Yes, sorry. It's a bit of an in-joke in my house regarding my Mum's pronunciation of it, along with toy few and chew merrick. :D

tonythompson

Postby tonythompson » 18 Apr 2013, 2:36pm

Great wadges of almond butter sandwiches. Preferably with the bread falling apart. But then I'm easily pleased. And if the guy is that good at cooking/baking things from here on you don't need to bother as he'll do it all in the future - that is until he has stopped having to impress you then it really will be almond butter sandwiches. Have fun.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com

fatgirlonabicycle

Postby fatgirlonabicycle » 18 Apr 2013, 4:11pm

tonythompson wrote:Great wadges of almond butter sandwiches. Preferably with the bread falling apart. But then I'm easily pleased. And if the guy is that good at cooking/baking things from here on you don't need to bother as he'll do it all in the future - that is until he has stopped having to impress you then it really will be almond butter sandwiches. Have fun.

I'm afraid the 'guy' in question is my mate Becca. But we will have fun, thanks! (and by fun I mean cycle up some big hills and drink bitter.)

Mr. Viking

Postby Mr. Viking » 18 Apr 2013, 4:22pm

fatgirlonabicycle wrote:I'm afraid the 'guy' in question is my mate Becca. But we will have fun, thanks! (and by fun I mean cycle up some big hills and drink bitter.)

The one cycle tour I went on I found I cycled much slower than my friends before lunch, then we always seemed to find ourselves in a pub after lunch, I would have a few and play darts and then on the way back to the campsite I always felt much stronger and could keep up more easily. Beer- the original energy drink

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 18 Apr 2013, 4:26pm

tortilla wraps with a filling of your choice. If you fold both ends in keeps the filling in whilst in transport. Filling wise the choice is yours. For vegetarian hummus, egg, Falafal, Chick Pea Dahl, any of these combined with Spinach leafs or water cress with Chopped salad veg. For non vegatarian chicken Smoked Fish and smoked hams.
Goats cheese and Chilli jam.
Indian food such as baji, Samosa or pakora make good finger food.
french stick Camenbert Cheese and a decent pickle
NUKe

tonythompson

Postby tonythompson » 18 Apr 2013, 5:39pm

fatgirlonabicycle wrote:
tonythompson wrote:Great wadges of almond butter sandwiches. Preferably with the bread falling apart. But then I'm easily pleased. And if the guy is that good at cooking/baking things from here on you don't need to bother as he'll do it all in the future - that is until he has stopped having to impress you then it really will be almond butter sandwiches. Have fun.

I'm afraid the 'guy' in question is my mate Becca. But we will have fun, thanks! (and by fun I mean cycle up some big hills and drink bitter.)

BIG apologies - what am I doing assuming a "baker" was a man. Must be an age thing :oops: But the almond butter is a serious suggestion as that's what I ride all day on plus some fruit and more nuts. Then I'm too lazy do much else.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com