What Have They Done to Flickr?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
BeeKeeper

What Have They Done to Flickr?

Postby BeeKeeper » 22 May 2013, 3:46pm

I use Flickr as I think several others do as a way of posting images on this Forum and this afternoon I uploaded some pictures to Flickr only to find it appears to have been quite radically re-vamped.

I was initially stuck on how to find the code necessary for sharing images as it is not where it used to be, as they might say and the FAQs were no help.

For anyone with the same problem the answer is thus:

On first entering Flickr select "You" from the top menu and then "Photostream". On the next page click on the image you want to share. It will appear on a page on its own. On the bottom right there are some symbols and the one you want to click is a rectangle with an arrow coming out of it. You can then copy and paste the link as before. I always edit the link so it is just the bit which starts http and ends with .jpg Others may do things differently but this works for me.

Audax67

Re: What Have They Done to Flickr?

Postby Audax67 » 22 May 2013, 9:43pm

Never liked Flickr. Trashy, amateurish design. So now you'll have the option of $50 pa without ads or else your pics will look like something from an Asda circular. Phooey.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 24 May 2013, 11:08am

Audax67 wrote:Never liked Flickr. Trashy, amateurish design. So now you'll have the option of $50 pa without ads or else your pics will look like something from an Asda circular. Phooey.

I quite like Flickr, with my BT Broadband I get a free Pro account which gives 1 free Terrabyte of space which is an awful lot. There are some fantastic pictures on there and professional photographers seem to like it too.

if you use a similar website what is it and why do you think its better?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 24 May 2013, 12:48pm

My complaint about the new site is that it's so slow compared to the old one, weight of images I think. And I'm on a 50mb link so not slow.

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 24 May 2013, 4:32pm

I think they have not sorted out the new site. I have just tried to share an image and the code is not showing, which it was a few days ago. Clicking on the button does nothing now. It may just be having a "moment" but frustrating enough to get me thinking about other providers.

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 24 May 2013, 5:09pm

Yahoo bought flicker a while back and have felt the need to revamp it. As often with these takeovers, the revamp is in defiance of what made the service popular and valuable in the first place.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22608122
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 26 May 2013, 6:46pm

Looking at alternatives to Flickr as the option to share images on Flickr is still not working and I have just registered with 500px.com. It says the first 14 days membership is free, thereafter there is a free membership which limits me to only 20 uploads a week - which might be enough to be honest, but if I need more there are other membership options starting at $25 per annum.

The good news is images uploaded can be embedded in sites like this one, see image below, but there does not seem to be any control over the size of the of the image displayed as there was with Flickr, but at last it works.

Huge amount of negative comments on the Flickr website, e.g. http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/ ... 6/page272/

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 26 May 2013, 7:38pm

I found that when you are in photostream and logged in, if you click on edit on the top menu its just like original Flickr. I still think its the best site, but Photobox is the cheapest and best for prints.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

MLJ

Postby MLJ » 27 May 2013, 9:21am

Just had another go at flicka: the HMLT link can only be copied in the whole, and a small section can no longer selected. I have copied the whole to notepad so as to be able to select the specific image as before. It is rather more involved than before! Improveed seems to means spoilt!

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 27 May 2013, 10:29am

al_yrpal wrote:I found that when you are in photostream and logged in, if you click on edit on the top menu its just like original Flickr.

Clicking Edit does make it look like the old site but the functionality to share images is missing.

Bizarrely, I have found the sharing function works if I access Flickr through my Android tablet. This made me think it works better with Chrome but after installing Chrome on my PC the sharing function still does not work. It is possible it may be due to a pop-up blocker. However, it did work the first day I accessed the new Flickr site but subsequently it is not working.

RickH

Postby RickH » 27 May 2013, 12:03pm

One way that does work is to view the photo you want to share, click on the 3 dots at bottom right, click "view all sizes" (this is still the "old" Flickr page), click on the size you want to share then right click on the "Download the... size of this photo" and select "copy link location" (in Firefox) / "copy shortcut" (in Internet Exploder) - you'll have to work out the equivalent option in your browser, if different. The final step is to paste that link wherever you want to use it.

Rick.

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 27 May 2013, 12:24pm

Rick,

Many thanks, I had looked at the page, which it describes as the Light Box I think, but as it only gave the option to download the files I didn't look much further. I can now link to different sized images - see below (Gorges de l'Ardeche in the morning). Why it was working properly the first day and still does on my tablet but not on my PC now is a mystery.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 27 May 2013, 5:08pm

I use Google Chrome on my PC, it works OK in that. Go to the share icon which is there in the RH corner on any view, grab the BB code and insert that into your post - Simples! :)

However I cannot get it to work from my (somewhat old - 18 months) Android tablet. :(

PA150151 by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Al

Binkyboy

Postby Binkyboy » 28 May 2013, 12:06pm

I use Photobucket and am happy with it. It does the same thing.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 28 May 2013, 12:10pm

iandriver wrote:Yahoo bought flicker a while back and have felt the need to revamp it. As often with these takeovers, the revamp is in defiance of what made the service popular and valuable in the first place.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22608122

Flickr was created in 2004 and and bought by Yahoo in 2005. So I don't think that's quite right ;)