Si's first two laws of cycling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Si's first two laws of cycling

Post by Si »

Si's First Law of cycling:
If it's overcast and you go out wearing your coat, the moment you stop to take the coat off 'cos the sun has come out and you're too hot, the heavens will open and it will pelt down on you.

Si's Second Law of cycling:
If it is pelting down on you and you don't have a coat on, the moment that you stop to put it on the rain will stop and the sun will come out.
glueman

Post by glueman »

We know them collectively as the Coco principal - coat on, coat off - with the weather guaranteed to make a clown of you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Isn't it called Sod's Law?

You get the same result with mudguards, sunglasses and umbrellas.

Annoying, isn't it.
Mick F. Cornwall
pigman

Post by pigman »

Mick F wrote:umbrellas

aarrgghh .. hate them. I'm not tall, but am forever being poked in the face by them, ususally they are held by people who are slightly smaller than me and are totally oblivious to what they're doing and walking in crowded areas.
whenever the missus tries to use one, I see her spending more time wrestling with it in the wind and "uninverting" it than actually staying dry.
Like I said ... aaarrgghh
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Isn't it called Sod's Law?

You get the same result with mudguards, sunglasses and umbrellas.

Annoying, isn't it.

Not to mention the dropping of small bolts,nuts,or anything that one only has one of into longish grass or in the proximity of a drain :shock:

PS the forgetting of ones reading glasses can also add "interest" to the situation.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
Not to mention the dropping of small bolts,nuts,or anything that one only has one of into longish grass or in the proximity of a drain :shock:

PS the forgetting of ones reading glasses can also add "interest" to the situation.

Magnets.
(This is in addition to the wet celery and the egg whisk)
Mick F. Cornwall
mhara

Post by mhara »

Can we have a Third Law of Cycling?
i.e. that whenever you're cycling up a hill the wind will be blowing down the hill?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Magnets.
(This is in addition to the wet celery and the egg whisk)

Magnets,does they have anything to do with eroginous zones or compasses? :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mhara wrote:Can we have a Third Law of Cycling?
i.e. that whenever you're cycling up a hill the wind will be blowing down the hill?

No,no thats wrong the wind is always a face wind,thats not a law its common knowledge.How long did you say you'd been cycling?
Kevbcbga

Post by Kevbcbga »

Maybe it just seems like the wind is always coming down the hill because you're going up it so quickly. Not a phenomenon I've experienced though.
mhara

Post by mhara »

reohn2 wrote:

No,no thats wrong the wind is always a face wind,thats not a law its common knowledge.How long did you say you'd been cycling?

Eh? :? If I'm heading up a hill and the wind is coming down it isn't that into my face? You're right the propensity of winds to be against :( rather than with you is common knowledge - so maybe it's time to convert common knowledge into a 'Law', even if only a sub-set of the Law of Sod?
glueman

Post by glueman »

There used to be nut size on bikes that needed a spanner in between all known sizes. Having laughed themselves stupid manufacturers have replaced these with one allen bolt that's different to all the other ones on the bike. It is always the one that works loose.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

glueman wrote:There used to be nut size on bikes that needed a spanner in between all known sizes. Having laughed themselves stupid manufacturers have replaced these with one allen bolt that's different to all the other ones on the bike. It is always the one that works loose.

And falls off.
We need to head that one off at the pass and always carry a spare crank bolt :)
glueman

Post by glueman »

One runs leader of my recall used to carry a substantial number of replacement parts in his voluminous Carradice 'just in case'. Derailleurs, cables, spokes, axles, nuts and bolts of every kind. It was said he only needed an old frame to make another bike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

glueman wrote:One runs leader of my recall used to carry a substantial number of replacement parts in his voluminous Carradice 'just in case'. Derailleurs, cables, spokes, axles, nuts and bolts of every kind. It was said he only needed an old frame to make another bike.

Friends of ours met a German tourist that was carrying a spare chain :shock: among other "sundry" items.