Cycling and Swimming

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Cycling and Swimming

Post by Mick F »

I've heard it said that once you've learned to swim, you never forget how. As a matter of interest, it's been nearly 15 years since I swam a stroke, and I know I haven't forgotten how. (I never enjoyed swimming, I was quite good, but it never turned me on.)

Same thing can be said of cycling. We read on these pages that some of us have returned to cycling after 20 or even 30 years.

Therefore, my question:
If one learned to ride a bike at 6 years old, then never turned a pedal since, could one get on a bike at the age of 66?
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

If it's anything like snow boarding then no, 'cos I'm always having to relearn that :(

I had about a seven year break from cycling and didn't have any trouble with the riding (apart from the fitness) when I got back on. But 6 to 60 might be a bit long.
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

I first learned at 6, but was separated from my bike for nearly a year due to my parents' very mobile job, so I had to relearn. I think it depends on how much confidence you had when you stopped riding.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'd say the best thing to do is to teach a 6year old how to ride a bike then wait 60years :wink:
horizon

Post by horizon »

I remember everything from the early days (10 upwards), the speed to go at, how to deal with cars, pushing up hills, the saddle in the wrong place (VK adjuster has fixed that), mending a puncture etc etc. It is truly amazing how useful that early experience is and why all children should be encouraged to ride a bike.
mhara

Post by mhara »

And you never forget the wonderful sense of freedom which comes every time you start a cycle ride of whatever length.

There's a lovely part of The Hobbit (or was it Lord of The Rings?) where the idea is expressed that there are dangers in the simple act of stepping out of your front door onto the road because who knows where that road might take you?

Well, for me, every time I cycle out of the drive there is the same sense of potential adventure should I wish to let it take hold of me. Sometimes, if it's not a ride with a fixed destination like shops, work, then I don't decide where I'm going beforehand I just let my front wheel turn left or right as it feels and then go from there.

All the best for that wonderful taste of freedom on your Tamar trip Tues/Weds MickF.
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step out onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins
mhara

Post by mhara »

AlbionLass wrote:"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step out onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

Yes, that's it! Impressed BIG I am. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Mhara,

Maps all ready for the trip, all I need now is a good long day without rain!

There are a total of 26 bridges over the Tamar. That doesn't count the two rail bridges or the "floating bridge" of the Torpoint Ferry.

Also, I'm not too sure about two or three - the maps you can access from OS don't show enough detail. One little road near Red Post goes down to the river, but no road is shown on the other side. There could be a bridge, I don't know. And, near Lower Tamar Lake, there's a weir - maybe a bridge there too. And at Tamarstone it looks like there's 2 bridges there.

I've done 13 so far, but it's a lot of miles, zig-zag'ing ......
Mick F. Cornwall
mhara

Post by mhara »

Mick F wrote:... but it's a lot of miles, zig-zag'ing ......

Being as the river's the natural lowest point, and the countryside around is always higher - in the case of the Tamar mostly much higher - I'd say the ups and downs will be as demanding than the zigs and zags :shock: :lol: .

I wish you the calmest of days, or maybe a zephr of a cooling breeze as you crest each high hill.
Kentish Man

Re: Cycling and Swimming

Post by Kentish Man »

Mick F wrote:Therefore, my question:
If one learned to ride a bike at 6 years old, then never turned a pedal since, could one get on a bike at the age of 66?

Mick,
yes, of course. Perhaps what your question should be is:
If one learned to ride a bike at 6 years old, then never turned a pedal since, for how long is one likely to remain on a bike after remounting at the age of 66?