Murray and tennis

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

Murray and tennis

Post by Si »

Idle thoughts regarding tennis....

As I write he's currently two sets to one down but starting to do better.

Do I want him to win the championship? Interesting question.....as a tennis fan the obvious answer is: yes, I'd like to see a Brit win for the first time in many years.

But as a cyclist do I want to see him win...maybe not. Who have been the big sports starts of recent years? Wiggo, Hoy, Cav, the Olympic track teams, with the former winning SPOTY, and cycling getting lots of good publicity on the back of it. If Murray wins Wimbledon though he must be a cert for SPOTY and to take all the sporting limelight for the rest of the year (even if we win the TdF, the Ashes and the Lions win the last match). So I feel guilty for it, but I somehow also think that it wouldn't be a bad thing if he doesn't win...after all, an increase in cycling will lead to much greater improvements in society than an increase in tennis.

Erm, in two minds.
TonyR

Re: Murray and tennis

Post by TonyR »

Come onTim! :wink:
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

My interest in tennis is zero during Wimbledon just like it is all the rest of the year.

I've never understood how people can get all excited about a sport or sports event just because a TV channel hypes it for a bit.

The olympics were the most notable example of this phenomenon.
rjb

Post by rjb »

And why couldn't they put it on BBC 2 leaving the news on BBC 1. The news was moved to BBC 2 and the local news was cut, although it was put on later but with no forewarning I missed it as it clashed with Cav winning in Marseilles. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

blackbike wrote:My interest in tennis is zero during Wimbledon just like it is all the rest of the year.

I've never understood how people can get all excited about a sport or sports event just because a TV channel hypes it for a bit.

Tennis is more engaging that bike races,which are on a par with Crown Green bowling. :D
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

We are cyclists, We like to watch cycling. Don't you think tennis fans say "why do we only get two weeks of televised tennis a year?"
'Kernow bys Vyken'
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
blackbike wrote:My interest in tennis is zero during Wimbledon just like it is all the rest of the year.

I think that Olympics was a different thing altogeter, its only once a life time for us, and its universal sport and little interest from the football elite, which just goes to show that football are in a league of their own..................

Forgeting of course that Olymipic competitors most likely to succeed are the ones comming from the money.
There will always be hype from the media especially bbc who love THEIR culture even better if it envoles one of their own.
Why has my local news tv program just 8 mins of actual news and 15 mins of beer festivals and anythind to do with food :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

There's tennis on...? Been too engrossed in the TdF and Giro Rosa.

Marianne Vos is a machine!

Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

My experience of tennis is that the racquets are too small, nets are too high, and the ball and my racquet head never conspire to be in the same place at the same time.

Despite all that, I find the viewing compulsive and I'm voting for Andy.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
broadway

Post by broadway »

Swallow wrote:We are cyclists, We like to watch cycling. Don't you think tennis fans say "why do we only get two weeks of televised tennis a year?"

Does taking part in an activity have much bearing on what sports you watch?
Si

Post by Si »

broadway wrote:
Swallow wrote:We are cyclists, We like to watch cycling. Don't you think tennis fans say "why do we only get two weeks of televised tennis a year?"

Does taking part in an activity have much bearing on what sports you watch?

For many people, yes.
Although, on the other hand, I like the odd game of snooker but hate watching it.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I think most people who watch Wimbledon don't actually play tennis, whereas those following the TdF do normally ride bikes, even leisurely. It dosen't matter at what level people ride, it's getting out there and enjoying it that matters. The incredible strength of the professionals is inspiring to us lesser mortals :o
Power to the pedals
gordy

Post by gordy »

Nice one, Andy. Just brilliant. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Did anyone noticed that the (Scottish) Andy Murray was playing Djokovic (pronounced "Jock-o-vich") in the final? :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Did anyone noticed that the (Scottish) Andy Murray was playing Djokovic (pronounced "Jock-o-vich") in the final? :lol: :lol:

Your ears need syringing.......there's definately a silent "D" in front of it :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.