Alternative to the bicycle bell

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Alternative to the bicycle bell

Post by iandriver »

Might try one of these on the shared use paths around here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCvGGuN ... ata_player
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mark1978

Re: Alternative to the bicycle bell

Post by Mark1978 »

I often shout "ding ding" :)
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Funny enough, I often whistle tunes from the musical Oliver. Seems to work with a smile :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I just shout loudly "NO BRAKES".
Nobody ever argues with that... :wink:
CW

Post by CW »

If only..As kids we would use playing cards held in with clothes pegs. A missed business opportunity. That reminds me of also fitting a board to an old roller skate
Chris
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

My dad fitted a similar toy to my bike when I was a kid - a gift resulting from a foreign business trip. I loved it but the noise drove the neighbourhood nuts. The toy mysteriously broke after a few weeks :? My dad was a very hands on engineer and could fix almost anything but the repair of that remained beyond his abilities .
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

kwackers wrote:I just shout loudly "NO BRAKES".
Nobody ever argues with that... :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

I used to call 'On your left' or 'On your right' as I approached from behind but the in-built suicidal tendancies that a lot of people who walk/jog on shared use paths seem to have meant they immediately jumped into my path. Not to mention the number of walkers/runners wearing headphones and in a world of their own when no voice/bell/horn can penetrate.
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

AlbionLass wrote:I used to call 'On your left' or 'On your right' as I approached from behind but the in-built suicidal tendancies that a lot of people who walk/jog on shared use paths seem to have meant they immediately jumped into my path. Not to mention the number of walkers/runners wearing headphones and in a world of their own when no voice/bell/horn can penetrate.

I found that when I ran Campag the much louder freewheel made a good pedestrian warning device, (like an old fashioned football rattle) Shimano is too quiet. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah, you must've had the Xenon/Mirage or late Centaur rear hub.
Really noisy! :shock:

Had you had the earlier Centaur or Chorus/Record, they are very silent indeed. It's all in the amount of ratchets pawl design.
Mick F. Cornwall
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

Mick F wrote:Ah, you must've had the Xenon/Mirage or late Centaur rear hub.
Really noisy! :shock:

Had you had the earlier Centaur or Chorus/Record, they are very silent indeed. It's all in the amount of ratchets pawl design.

One was an old Veloce, one a more recent Centaur. :D
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

More than once I've considered making a card-in-spokes-type device with a handlebar lever...

I find a cough quite effective - I'm sure it would horrify people in countries like Japan where it's customary to wear a facemask if you have a cold.
I'll never forget the parent snatching their child out of my path in the park when I got into an uncontrollable pollen-related sneezing fit during the summer of 2009 when the swine flu panic was in full effect.

I have a traditional bell, but I may be about to finally get my finger out converting an up-till-now-unused Airzound into a raspberry blower - having just taken delivery of a £10 pair of car air horns that are simply too nasty to use anywhere except on the open road - my old Fiamm AM80 was just about acceptable to shift gaggles of recalcitrant teenagers from entirely blocking the local railway path. (though occasionally there are somewhat scarier miscreants at night for whom a few blasts of the afore-mentioned new weapon might be appropriate.)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Anyone have any diy ideas for using a pressurised (pumped up) fizzy drink bottle. I like gentle greens idea of using air horns. Sounds to be just the ticket. Post details when you have it ready.
:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

Super-Soaker water gun in a toptube mounted holster for easy access...polite squirt to the back of the neck as you approach?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think this thread should be merged with this one. After all, same idea... :lol:

And this gives me an idea regarding over-zealous airzound users (the airzound not being my favourite instrument). :twisted:
[edit] I see gentlegreen above has a similar idea...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).