Autistic Quotient

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Autistic Quotient

Post by Mick F »

Mrs Mick F did a course on autism recently, and very gently explained that I was a little autistic and she asked me to take this test.
http://aq.server8.org/

She did it and scored 5.
I did it and scored 43 :oops:
TBH, I'm quite pleased. It explains a great deal about me and the way I look at life. I always knew I was different!

How's your score?
Mick F. Cornwall
Mr. Viking

Re: Autistic Quotient

Post by Mr. Viking »

31. I've scored quite highly before on this sort of thing. Maybe it's why I'm as happy talking to people through an internet forum as I am in person.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

30, me. Hell, cyclists have to be obsessed with minutiæ or all their bits'd fall off.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Yes on their bikes too.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I can't say I'm impressed Mick - I got 19, 22 and 18 and then got utterly bored with it. I also found that I didn't always give the same responses on one attempt as I had on another.

This surprised me, but I'd recorded my responses on a piece of paper as I was doing the questionnaire and checked back when I'd finished the three attempts.

One thing that I noticed was that I was usually "slightly" - does that make me indecisive? - I can't decide whether I am or I'm not.

If one person, with the best will in the world, gets three different scores within ten minutes, how can it be reliable?

Mick - we're better in the saddle climbing a hill, than doing daft stuff on computers...........
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thanks for that Mick. I scored 18. What do you think makes you score high? Is it is obsessive things, a fascination with numbers, fixations (continual chain washing). awkward in social situations or what?

There is a bloke in our local cycling group that just sits there and verbally gushes so you can't get a word in edgewise, everyone tries to ignore him. Is that Asbergers?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

which makes sense since I am not a social animal, professionally I've always needed to be precise and accurate, and at home I can imagine a decorated room for example even if I cannot achieve the desired result. I can tinker with bikes and bits for hour upon hour and of course the end result has to be mechanically as perfect as I can make it but I do not care so much about cosmetic effects e.g cable runs have to be neat but a scratch or two does not matter.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

29. Yikes!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I do find it disturbing that if someone is interested in the detail of anything then this somehow makes them autistic? It's like we're living in such a dumbed down society that if you actually take an interest in anything except perhaps David Beckhams latest haircut then you are somehow strange and need to be labelled as such.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mark1978 wrote:I do find it disturbing that if someone is interested in the detail of anything then this somehow makes them autistic? It's like we're living in such a dumbed down society that if you actually take an interest in anything except perhaps David Beckhams latest haircut then you are somehow strange and need to be labelled as such.

I work in an office full of geeks, the problem isn't being interested, it's being interested on the verge of obsession.
Whether that questionnaire can differentiate who knows but I doubt it's used on its own.

On the other hand I'm practically normal with a score of 27 which is also bad news. As a computer programmer 27 is practically a disability!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

kwackers wrote:I work in an office full of geeks, the problem isn't being interested, it's being interested on the verge of obsession.
Whether that questionnaire can differentiate who knows but I doubt it's used on its own.

Quite so, but it's become common thought that anyone who shows a passing interest in any topic, except perhaps football, they somehow have a disease and need to be labelled.

On the other hand I'm practically normal with a score of 27 which is also bad news. As a computer programmer 27 is practically a disability!

True :D. I'm a sysadmin and even I think devs are weird ;)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Women tend to go with the flow of others around them to keep peace hence their low score.
Us twerps tend to argue or dissagree on the colour of our cycle bits, just so you dont agree with the fashion followers :lol:
A test which has no nuetral answers is always going to make normal seem above or below.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Us twerps tend to argue or dissagree on the colour of our cycle bits,.

Oh no we don't!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

JohnW wrote:...
One thing that I noticed was that I was usually "slightly" - does that make me indecisive? - I can't decide whether I am or I'm not.

If one person, with the best will in the world, gets three different scores within ten minutes, how can it be reliable?

Your results lie in the range 20±2 out of a possible 50 : i.e a 4% margin of error. Reasonable for a rough quiz of this sort. A margin of 10% wouldn't surprise me.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

kwackers wrote:On the other hand I'm practically normal with a score of 27 which is also bad news. As a computer programmer 27 is practically a disability!

Hum. Nuther one here. Our OS guys had plenty of social graces, mostly involving beer and not washing too often to maintain the tribal odour.

Wife's chum's partner is comp sci prof working obsessively when at home on a computational maths problem he finds intransigent but that others reportedly better than he can't solve either. When wife's chum is at home she has to hush & tread warily or he gets all snarky. Thing is, she's a better mathematician than he and she knows he's barking up the wrong tree because she's already been up it, but he keeps hitting his head on the same branch. General consensus is that he's barking tout court, never mind the tree. I reckon he'd score in the high 40s, if you could persuade him to take the test.

Course he might solve his CM problem. Wouldn't be a pretty sight.