Your and you're

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Your and you're

Post by kwackers »

gaz wrote:
JohnW wrote:Was Caesar on the last 'bus home from the pub'? - he catches it regularly!!!!!!!!!!!

Caesar never used the bus. Caesar rode fixed.

I know this from his famous speech: "Friends, Romans, Countrymen; lend me your gears!" :mrgreen:

Good that he finally realised he'd been caught out by a fad though.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Quote:

" SOHO IS NOT PEDESTRIANISED!!! PLEASE LOOK BEFORE YOU STEP INTO THE ROAD."

"Your right, although in my opinion large parts of it should be, except in the morning for deliveries..."

From another cycling forum.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

Mike Sales wrote:Quote:

" SOHO IS NOT PEDESTRIANISED!!! PLEASE LOOK BEFORE YOU STEP INTO THE ROAD."

"Your right, although in my opinion large parts of it should be, except in the morning for deliveries..."

From another cycling forum.

well you should look to your right, that's where the closest traffic will be
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The version I remember is

Caesar et erat forti
Brutus adsum am.
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic intram.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
gaz

Post by gaz »

JamesE wrote:Also are we still trying to outpedant each other here? Because if so "lend me your ears" was Mark Antony…

"Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me."
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

From page 1
kwackers wrote:I think "dopelganger" is a drug dealers twin brother (or sister).

You made my day :lol: :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MockCyclist wrote:I'm sure I'll fall foul of Muphry's law, but anyway ...

I thought it was "Hear, Hear" as in "Hear what was just said". If anyone knows the definitive answer, let us know.

It is "Hear, hear!", shortened from "Hear him! Hear him!" While I don't think of Wikipedia as the definitive reference, this entry refers to reference sources...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

horizon wrote:So a plea: can we try and get this right? It makes reading posts so much more pleasurable without the feeling of being thrown over the handlebars every time. So:

Your: as in your bike is very nice (so the same as "yours").
You're: as in you are going for a ride.

I am quite particular about my own grammar, and hate to be caught out in errors. I can be as pedantic as the next person. However, I really don't think that grammar usage on an internet forum is very important as long as people are understandable and can communicate as they wish.

The internet opens up communication to people all around the world, and this forum has a number of international members. Some people who speak English as a second language even use internet forums and chat rooms to practice their English. I don't think that we can expect all of them to be able to distinguish between you're and your. Especially when even some BBC announcers pronounce them both 'yore' (which I find far more irritating than the inability of any forumite to spell them correctly).

Personally, I like the forum as it is, and would rather we didn't go nitpicking each other's grammar. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Vorpal wrote:
MockCyclist wrote:I'm sure I'll fall foul of Muphry's law, but anyway ...

I thought it was "Hear, Hear" as in "Hear what was just said". If anyone knows the definitive answer, let us know.

It is "Hear, hear!", shortened from "Hear him! Hear him!" While I don't think of Wikipedia as the definitive reference, this entry refers to reference sources...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear,_hear

"Hear! Hear!" is also a literal translation of the old town crier's call of "Oyez! Oyez!", which is (wait for it) the archaic second person imperative of ouïr, to hear.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:[Hear! Hear!" is also a literal translation of the old town crier's call of "Oyez! Oyez!", which is (wait for it) the archaic second person imperative of ouïr, to hear.

I understood that became "Hear, ye! Hear, ye!" But, it could be that "Hear! Hear! (Or "Hear, hear!") has the same origins.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Audax67 wrote:"Hear! Hear!" is also a literal translation of the old town crier's call of "Oyez! Oyez!", which is (wait for it) the archaic second person imperative of ouïr, to hear.

Ah, that's interesting. Though what was wrong with hwæt, eh? I dunno, these kids and their trendy newfangled words… *shakes walking-stick*
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Am sayin' nowt
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:
The internet opens up communication to people all around the world, and this forum has a number of international members. Some people who speak English as a second language even use internet forums and chat rooms to practice their English. I don't think that we can expect all of them to be able to distinguish between you're and your.

Personally, I like the forum as it is, and would rather we didn't go nitpicking each other's grammar. :D

1. It was just a request, a plea in fact. Unless the mods start correcting grammar or deleting posts, that is what it will remain.
2. It isn't nitpicking - it genuinely interrupts the flow of someone's post. They may even find it helpful to know this.
3. I wouldn't cast aspersions on foreign writers of English - I don't think they have any problem with it. Native English writers do however.

People write in all sorts of ways with all sorts of mistakes - this particular mistake though makes it harder to understand them. AFAIK we are still allowed to express an opinion on matters such as this, are we not?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I took this thread as an excuse to have a bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously. But I accept that others have different agenda.

One thing that does get my spleen venting (can one say that?), is the way spell checkers autocorrect people's typos into the wrong word. I find it easier to interpret text containing a few typos or spelling mistakes, rather than being faced with correctly-spelled text but utter gobbledygook, which you have to 'reverse-engineer', so to speak, to figure out what the writer intended and how the spell-checker garbled it.

So could I enter a plea for folks to turn off their spell-checkers when posting on the forum? I know you can do that on most of the popular browsers, but I'm not sure about iphones and the like - it may be a fixed feature.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

I don't use autocorrect. Can't stand it. I like to garble things, and it can make it very difficult to write puns too
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

horizon wrote:People write in all sorts of ways with all sorts of mistakes - this particular mistake though makes it harder to understand them. AFAIK we are still allowed to express an opinion on matters such as this, are we not?

Of course! I was just expressing a different view. :D