Things you've never done

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jezer

Things you've never done

Post by jezer »

I was out for a ride today and got to reflecting about people who have never known the joys of cycling. It got me thinking about events I have never experienced. Here are few, can you add any more?
(1) I've never been to Spain
(2) I've never bought a lottery ticket
(3) I've never tasted vodka
(4) I have never experienced drugs of any kind, in spite of having my formative years in the 60's when it was supposed to be free love and all that.
(5) I've never been to a football match (I'm particularly proud of that one) :lol:
Power to the pedals
wrangler_rover

Re: Things you've never done

Post by wrangler_rover »

(1) I've never done illegal drugs, I experiment with lager at weekends.
(2) I've never been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show.
(3) I've never been on a package holiday.
(4) I've never been on Facebook or Twitter and don't intend to.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Every 3 months I have to fill in a questionnaire where I am required to confirm that I've never done a whole list of things, ranging from the positively distasteful to the mildly intriguing. As long as I want to continue giving blood I have to accept they'll remain as forbidden fruit.

No need to list them here, you know the sort of thing; chacun à son goût, of course :wink:

Ray
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
fossala

Post by fossala »

(1) Never been abroad
(2) Never driven a car
(3) Never owned any photo ID
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

The 50 things to do before you die list :D anyone know where you can fire a black powder cannon?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

One thing that constantly irks me is, I've never been south of the Equator. As a (somewhat lapsed) amateur astronomer that means I've missed out on a lot of stuff which can't be seen from the North. However I still have a long-term plan to spend most of my retirement dosh on a trip to Indonesia in 2016 (coinciding with a total eclipse) which straddles the Equator, so I may get my chance!

The list of 'things never done' for me would fill many pages, but one 'almost' that springs to mind: I've 'almost' never ridden a horse. My one 'lapse' was in Ireland in my 20s, I think I stayed in the saddle for some 20 seconds before I froze up, s**t-scared, and had to be helped off. :lol: Amazingly, there is video footage of this episode, on 8mm film.

jezer wrote:(3) I've never tasted vodka
No-one has. That is, vodka has no taste, all you taste when you drink a vodka is the mixer...
(*expects heated argument over this assertion*)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

(1) I've never been to Spain ........ I HAVE
(2) I've never bought a lottery ticket ............. I HAVE
(3) I've never tasted vodka .............. I DO
(4) I have never experienced drugs of any kind, in spite of having my formative years in the 60's when it was supposed to be free love and all that. .......... IBRUFOFIN, STATINS, ASPRIN, PARACETAMOL, ETC
(5) I've never been to a football match (I'm particularly proud of that one) WIGAN vs Man CITY circa 1965
(1) I've never done illegal drugs, I experiment with lager at weekends. ........I DRINK BEER AND WINE
(2) I've never been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show. ............ I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS
(3) I've never been on a package holiday. ........... I HAVE
(4) I've never been on Facebook or Twitter and don't intend to. ............ AGREE!
(1) Never been abroad ..... I HAVE
(2) Never driven a car ...... I HAVE
(3) Never owned any photo ID ............ I HAVE

anyone know where you can fire a black powder cannon? .......... NO, BUT I KNOW SOMEONE WHO DOES.

Me?
What have I never done?
(1) given birth
(2) died
(3) climbed Everest
(4) been sky-diving
(5) eaten whale meat
(6) flown to the moon
Mick F. Cornwall
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

fossala wrote:(1) Never been abroad
(2) Never driven a car

Really? How old are you? You live in the UK and have never been abroad? I specifically moved all the way to England so I could travel to many more countries as it's so easy (being able to catch a train to another country still amazes me).
byegad

Post by byegad »

Lots of things, mostly involving several female icons of the silver and small screen! :)
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Never seen a stage of the major tours.
Never been to Sheppey
Never done drugs - recreational
Never jumped out of an airplane; parachute, sky-dive etc. (and after seeing x-rays of a pt's nasty compound fracture of tib and fib... lost all desire to do so)
Never crossed the equator but been to all the continents north of the equator

Have been abroad and love spain
Have given birth and aided in the birth of many others
Have visited the corners of mainland Britain
Have ridden over the Humber Bridge
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

easyroller wrote:
fossala wrote:(1) Never been abroad
(2) Never driven a car

Really? How old are you? You live in the UK and have never been abroad? I specifically moved all the way to England so I could travel to many more countries as it's so easy (being able to catch a train to another country still amazes me).

................why so surprised easyroller? - neither have I. What's wrong with that?

Before you ask, I'm 70.

As for wrangler_rover - I've never done that lot either.

My shameful confession, as a Yorkshireman, is that I have drunk Hampshire beer, and I prefer it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Never eaten a fried egg
Never been to Australasia
Never been scuba diving
Never done LEJOG

I found it quite hard to think of things.
I am alergic to egg yolks (its no yoke!)
The reason I have never done the other things is because I am not interested in them. I like to have a bash because I am always curious about new things, new places and new experiences.

It's quite surprising some of the things others have never done

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

eileithyia wrote:Never been to Sheppey
As it happens, I visited Sheppey last winter, but it was a business trip and we went by car. We must have crossed by that same bridge where the pile-up occurred the other day, but without mishap. It was rather a dreary place, although Sheerness itself is quite an interesting town. I wouldn't think it offers much of interest to the cyclist - very flat at any rate...

I await flak from any Sheppey natives on this forum .... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

Never shopped in Waitrose.
Never driven a car and never will.
Never married and never will.
Never had kids.
Never had a dog.
Never read a Harry Potter book and don't intend too.
Never been aboard.
Never done LEJOG. (maybe one day).
Never done illegal drugs.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

JohnW wrote:................why so surprised easyroller? - neither have I. What's wrong with that?
Never having been abroad seems rather a strange phenomenon to me, I've travelled quite a lot, but I can understand it. Many years ago, I went on a trip to the Isle of Portland (which is connected to the mainland by a causeway, so it's not really an island), and I was told that there were people living there who'd never been to Weymouth, let alone the rest of the UK or anywhere abroad. That seems insularity in the extreme, but there are people like that. Down to circumstances perhaps. And I've met Yorkshire folk who'd never been to London.

There's quite a lot of the British Isles I've never been to. Nowhere in Northern Ireland; Isle of Wight; Isle of Man; Hull; Dundee; Aberdeen; Orkney; Shetland. Think I've 'done' all the other major cities...