Things you've never done

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: Things you've never done

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote:I try to ignore spin. The evidence of my own eyes is that sales have tumbled.

That might certainly be true of the paper version which could certainly fold (in both meanings of the word) but AIUI (and not just from this Telegraph article), the paywalls for the on-line versions of the Times and the Telegraph have actually been very successful, more so than the proprietors themselves had dared to hope. Having said that, even a successful paywall might not be in the same league as the fully-fledged paper versions of yesteryear.

The Spectator (which shares the same DNA it seems with the Telegraph) has doubled its subscriptions this year from 50,000 to 100,000. I haven't checked to see which of the main publications (e.g. Guardian, Times) are actually profitable but AIUI there was a general optimism if not surprise that the paywall model was sustainable in a world where everything on-line was expected to be free.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I did once have a letter published in a magazine popular with enthusiastic motorists, I advocated vehicles being fitted with maximum speed limiters

Raised some hackles in various leafy suburbs, I am glad to say, the next issue carried letters expressing disagreement :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:I did once have a letter published in a magazine popular with enthusiastic motorists, I advocated vehicles being fitted with maximum speed limiters

Raised some hackles in various leafy suburbs, I am glad to say, the next issue carried letters expressing disagreement :wink:

Reminds me of my vf400 honda motorcycle it had two separate ignition units, one cut out (limited to) at 12800 rpm, but not for several seconds.
This was to preserve the motor which I revved to 13500 and on in lower gears sometimes.
Overtaking with speed limiter would prove disastrous especially when the other vehicle speeds up :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

horizon wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I try to ignore spin. The evidence of my own eyes is that sales have tumbled.

That might certainly be true of the paper version which could certainly fold (in both meanings of the word) but AIUI (and not just from this Telegraph article), the paywalls for the on-line versions of the Times and the Telegraph have actually been very successful, more so than the proprietors themselves had dared to hope. Having said that, even a successful paywall might not be in the same league as the fully-fledged paper versions of yesteryear.

The Spectator (which shares the same DNA it seems with the Telegraph) has doubled its subscriptions this year from 50,000 to 100,000. I haven't checked to see which of the main publications (e.g. Guardian, Times) are actually profitable but AIUI there was a general optimism if not surprise that the paywall model was sustainable in a world where everything on-line was expected to be free.

As far as I've read the Telegraph print figures keep going down (and Covid has affected it more as with all titles) but its digital subscription has sky rocketed.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As I think I mentioned higher up, we still buy the dead tree version because my wife doesn't like screens. If I can't get a copy at our newsagent for any reason, nobody else nearby seems to stock it.

We buy the annual subscription because it's cheaper. That means I get the online marketing which consists of irresistible offers of no interest to me.

Re the things you've never done, I don't remember writing a letter to the editor of the Daily T.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pebble wrote:Have never been an employee, as in I have never had a job working for someone else.

May ones ask what job/s you did? I thought one usually needed experience as an employee before going self employed
Did you employ people too?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Pebble wrote:Have never been an employee, as in I have never had a job working for someone else.

May ones ask what job/s you did? I thought one usually needed experience as an employee before going self employed
Did you employ people too?

no jobs in my area when I left school, esp with no qualifications, barrowed sea coal and driftwood off the beach and sold it round the doors, got a van, started moving stuff about for people, got a bigger van, got into wagons, then a few other types of businesses inc retail and dabbled a bit in manufacturing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've never bought a Honda CB500X motorcycle,but I did yesterday :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Wow.
My personal choice would be a V twin, no not a Harley a smaller 500 550 et cetera et cetera.
I have a CB 500 in the shed, That's an overgrown CB 250, or a later version of the black bomber :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

I have never been to Benidorm or Skegness.
From what I've heard they're quite similar :lol:
sjs

Post by sjs »

FerociousDog wrote:I have never been to Benidorm or Skegness.
From what I've heard they're quite similar :lol:

Never Benidorm but Skeggy many times. The standard day trip destination from the East Midlands when I were a lad. More recently I cycled there from Barmouth, as a C2C.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:I've never bought a Honda CB500X motorcycle,but I did yesterday :D

wow! Cool! Piccies?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I've never bought a Honda CB500X motorcycle,but I did yesterday :D

wow! Cool! Piccies?

Only being delivered on Friday so you'll have to wait :?
I've not riddena motorcycle for 20 years so I'm feeling sliiggghhhtttly apprehensive,I've been buying a helmet,clothing,boots and gloves online(hope they all fit :? )
I'll also be selling a couple of bikes to make room for the Honda in the workshop :(
Watch this space....
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Reohn2 you could get a lesson to freshen up your technique, or betterstill take IAM test. What ever keep safe and enjoy.
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks for your concern NUKe,I'll certainly be gently easing my way back into riding again :wink:
I have thought about a few lessons but I'm no speed freak anyway and I'm thinking a cross between my cycling and driving skills along with a healthy fear of falling and a respect for my own and others' safety will help me out initially as I pick up the motorcycling threads again :)
W H Auden