Things you've never done

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Audax67

Re: Things you've never done

Post by Audax67 »

reohn2 wrote:I've never bought a Honda CB500X motorcycle,but I did yesterday :D

Health to ride it, as me da would've said.

Me ma would've said "just come back alive".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ha Ha :)
I've never cut my finger on a tire, until two days ago.
I normally always wear gloves nowadays stop my hands getting dirty and protect them from contamination.
Take my gloves off to fit the rim tape, didn't put them back on.
Run both hands around the tire to get it on the rim and felt a sharp pain in the finger.
On the inside of the tire where the bead is, there is flashing where the tire has been moulded.
It's probably because the tire is bald and the stuff they use has gone hard.
You might as well use a razor blade and he went straight to the skin to the stuff underneath.
I remember to wear my gloves next time.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:

wow! Cool! Piccies?

A couple of quick snaps from my first ride on it today:-
20201104_115847.jpg

20201104_115847.jpg

It's a few years since rode a motorcycle and I must admit I was more than a little apprehensive about a new bike and all the new kit and helmet.
But after an hour or so I was surprised how things dropped into place,not that I'm claiming to be anything other than returning beginner,though I really enjoyed the 80miles I did on it today :D
Attachments
20201104_115901.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:

Like bicycles there's a lot of prejudice against motorcycles but treated with respect and ridden responsibly they're a beautiful and safe way to travel.
It's 8 years since we lost our granddaughter Leah aged 19 to a motorcycle RTI(not her fault the fault of a maniac on another motorcycle who crashed into her whilst she was sat stationary on hers),I never blaimed the motorcycle but 17 year old idiot who(killing himself into the bargain)thought himself invincible.Ironically it was Leah,before she was killed,who stirred my dormant interest in motorcycling again,I wanted to ride with her,possibly to protect her.
I've waited a long time before I dared even broach the subject with Mrs R2 and the family who aren't happy about it,people may call me selfish,but they'll have to get used to the idea as the pull has become irresistible.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

Like bicycles there's a lot of prejudice against motorcycles but treated with respect and ridden responsibly they're a beautiful and safe way to travel...

Statistically, motorcycling is about as dangerous a way of travelling as any. But statistics hide as much as they reveal, and the apparently high casualty rate is skewed by an extremely reckless minority. We have a lot of recreational motorcyclists pass through our village and the majority slow down and behave impeccably, and I have no doubt that the exposure to risk for most of them is well below the headline figure for motorcycling as a whole. Sadly, anyone can fall victim to other people's poor behaviour on the roads, but we can't let other people scare us away from living a good life. Enjoy your motorcycle.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

Like bicycles there's a lot of prejudice against motorcycles but treated with respect and ridden responsibly they're a beautiful and safe way to travel.
It's 8 years since we lost our granddaughter Leah aged 19 to a motorcycle RTI(not her fault the fault of a maniac on another motorcycle who crashed into her whilst she was sat stationary on hers),I never blaimed the motorcycle but 17 year old idiot who(killing himself into the bargain)thought himself invincible.Ironically it was Leah,before she was killed,who stirred my dormant interest in motorcycling again,I wanted to ride with her,possibly to protect her.
I've waited a long time before I dared even broach the subject with Mrs R2 and the family who aren't happy about it,people may call me selfish,but they'll have to get used to the idea as the pull has become irresistible.

I think it's very courageous. After such sadness.
Respect.
I hope you have some fun times.
Nice bike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: ....... Enjoy your motorcycle.

Thanks,I'll try to :D
I think you're right about motorcycling(and cycling FTM),there's an element of thrill seekers on the roads who push the limits of the machine to the point absurdity,stupidity and lunacy.
I've witnessed it at close hand and it belongs on a race track not the roads where the unknowns,due to other road users and conditions,can be at times very unpredictable,better to always ride defensively,err on the side of safety,with a wide tolerance and respect for other roadusers and conditions.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I think it's very courageous. After such sadness.
Respect.
I hope you have some fun times.
Nice bike.

Thanks.
I've never considered myself courageous and the older me seeks fun at a sedate pace :wink:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

wow! Cool! Piccies?

A couple of quick snaps from my first ride on it today:-
20201104_115847.jpg
20201104_115847.jpg
It's a few years since rode a motorcycle and I must admit I was more than a little apprehensive about a new bike and all the new kit and helmet.
But after an hour or so I was surprised how things dropped into place,not that I'm claiming to be anything other than returning beginner,though I really enjoyed the 80miles I did on it today :D

why that particular bike? I am thinking of getting some thing but will be some kind of cruiser but not a harley, as my legs dont like bending for any length of time these days & thats on my Yamaha XJ900S, hardly a sportster. Has to be a shaft drive
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote: ....why that particular bike? I am thinking of getting some thing but will be some kind of cruiser but not a harley, as my legs dont like bending for any length of time these days & thats on my Yamaha XJ900S, hardly a sportster. Has to be a shaft drive

Honda/Japanese reliability,I known it's built in Malasia but it's DNA is Japanese and it has a great record for both reliability and good handling and it's not too big physically or silly engine size/BHP.
I did quite a bit of research on it and a couple other bikes:-
Royal Enfield Himalayan,rejected on lack of road power and I don't intend riding off road or if I do it'll be very mild stuff.
Suzuki 650 V Strom,a very strong contender
The outsider was a Honda Deauville 700 which I was really taken by(shaft drive too),but rejected on sheer size and I didn't need the fixed touring luggage carrying capacity,but I really like the style.
Another outside contender was a Royal Enfield Interceptor but I couldn't quite commit to the 70's styling but I believe they and the Himalayan are very nicely put together with few flaws

The hot favourites were the CB500X or the V Strom but the Honda came up,a S/Hand 2020 bike with 300miles on and £1500 off list from a private seller(a ver nice genuine chap who preferred his scooter)with Honda warranty until Feb 2022,so I jumped :)

MODS IMO this is getting beyond thread drift if you prefer it were in the motorcycle thread in the Teashop I don't mind
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It could come under this thread but seeing reohn2 's recent purchase I wish now I'd taken my motorcycle test. I rode around for years on an 'L' plate until getting a car and taking a test.
The roads here are nice and quiet and a smallish motorbike really appeals but can't happen without the licence. :(