Things you've never done

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Things you've never done

Postby mercalia » 9 Apr 2017, 4:32pm

taking advantage of the warm weather I thought I would play tourist and go up to the haunts - Hyde park, Trafalgar Sq and China Town to my fav cheapo chinese eatery - Wang Kei. I was looking at the menu and things they have added to the menu I havent ever eatern and no intention of doing so -

Deep Fried Intestine :shock:
Chicken or Duck with Jelly Fish :shock:

Yuk :lol:
Last edited by mercalia on 9 Apr 2017, 6:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4513
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Things you've never done

Postby foxyrider » 9 Apr 2017, 5:14pm

looked in the tea shop until today! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

loch eck steve
Posts: 259
Joined: 4 Oct 2015, 1:32pm
Location: Argyll

Re: Things you've never done

Postby loch eck steve » 9 Apr 2017, 6:23pm

The gardening on a fine day , rather be on my bike ! :D :D :D

brynpoeth
Posts: 11020
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Things you've never done

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Apr 2017, 6:51pm

mercalia wrote:taking advantage of the warm weather I thought I would play tourist and go up to the haunts - Hyde park, Trafalgar Sq and China Town to my fav cheapo chinese eatery - Wang Kei. I was looking at the menu and things they have added to the menu I havent ever eatern and no intention of doing so -

Deep Fried Intestine :shock:
Chicken or Duck with Jelly Fish :shock:

Yuk :lol:


What did you eat? How can you be sure it was what it should have been?

From dad's army - what is your name? asked the German spy
Don't tell him, Pike! said Captain Mainwaring
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Things you've never done

Postby mercalia » 9 Apr 2017, 7:43pm

I have what I always have either duck or barbecued pork on white rice or same in noodle soup - all cheap meals £5.30 incl a pot of green tea - cheapest chinese restaurent in china town. The fancy delicacies were much more expensive - £8+

djnotts
Posts: 1205
Joined: 26 May 2008, 12:51pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Things you've never done

Postby djnotts » 9 Apr 2017, 8:43pm

jezer wrote:I was out for a ride today and got to reflecting about people who have never known the joys of cycling. It got me thinking about events I have never experienced. Here are few, can you add any more?
(1) I've never been to Spain
(2) I've never bought a lottery ticket
(3) I've never tasted vodka
(4) I have never experienced drugs of any kind, in spite of having my formative years in the 60's when it was supposed to be free love and all that.
(5) I've never been to a football match (I'm particularly proud of that one) :lol:


Wow. None of those is in my list. Not sure I've got any that would be appropriate to a non-age restricted Forum - certainly none that I wish I HAD done!

Geoff.D
Posts: 1959
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 9:20pm

Re: Things you've never done

Postby Geoff.D » 9 Apr 2017, 11:49pm

I've never repeated that drunken streak at the end-of-year staff do.
And I'm proud of it.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10597
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Things you've never done

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 10 Apr 2017, 1:02am

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Did you get to the Taj Mahal?
Dad went there in WW2 from here on a boat, probably not a navy ship? In the army.
Been to Cochin, SW India, and Colombo, Sri Lanka a couple of times.

How did your dad get to the Taj Mahal by boat? It's quite a long way inland!

Hah, I mean he went to India on a boat, is the Taj Mahal something to see?
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

pwa
Posts: 10283
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Things you've never done

Postby pwa » 10 Apr 2017, 5:18pm

Never watched Star Wars (natch)
Never been to the USA, or anywhere else outside Europe and feel content about that
Never chosen to go anywhere with a very warm climate, as i hate being hot and sweaty
Never had my own car, all to myself - share with the Missus
Never had a bike with a carbon frame, though I have carbon forks on one bike (no better than steel at absorbing vibrations)
Never gone to London except under duress
Never been to North West Scotland - must rectify that

User avatar
fausto copy
Posts: 2455
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 6:51pm
Location: Pembrokeshire

Re: Things you've never done

Postby fausto copy » 10 Apr 2017, 7:26pm

Geoff.D wrote:I've never repeated that drunken streak at the end-of-year staff do.
And I'm proud of it.


I think you've given the game away with the word repeated :lol:

User avatar
ChrisOntLancs
Posts: 527
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 9:47pm

Re: Things you've never done

Postby ChrisOntLancs » 11 Apr 2017, 4:47am

disabled adblock

morning btw, cycling UK forum *raises mug

Boyd
Posts: 509
Joined: 24 Oct 2016, 11:56pm

Re: Things you've never done

Postby Boyd » 11 Apr 2017, 12:15pm

Urticaria wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Never having been abroad seems rather a strange phenomenon to me, I've travelled quite a lot, but I can understand it.

The thing that annoys me is that people infer you are small-minded because you have not travelled. On the contrary, I see it as an indicator of contentment. Take the similar situation of a child who constantly needs to be supplied with new toys, or be taken to theme parks to have fun. What do people think of the child?

"What do people think of the child?"
They think it's a child. It doesn't need all those things it is being given them. You on the other hand have an option and you choose not to take it. That's why I and no doubt you are always hearing about how few people in the US have got a passport. It is because, so it is always being said, they are so insular. Personally I think with a country that size why would you need to go abroad!! In your case it could be a sign of contentment but how would you know if you have never been abroad?
I am required to go to Spain soon on my mothers business. All costs paid for. I don't want to go I am hoping to get another member of the family to go. I have a free family holiday coming up in the lake district.....I don't want to go. I don't want to leave Lincolnshire never mind going to Spain.
Been Malaya, Singapore, Sudan. Italy and Norway and the bits in between. And the US but I now don't want to leave the Lincolnshire Wolds. I have become insular.

pwa
Posts: 10283
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: Things you've never done

Postby pwa » 11 Apr 2017, 12:33pm

Boyd wrote:
Urticaria wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Never having been abroad seems rather a strange phenomenon to me, I've travelled quite a lot, but I can understand it.

The thing that annoys me is that people infer you are small-minded because you have not travelled. On the contrary, I see it as an indicator of contentment. Take the similar situation of a child who constantly needs to be supplied with new toys, or be taken to theme parks to have fun. What do people think of the child?

"What do people think of the child?"
They think it's a child. It doesn't need all those things it is being given them. You on the other hand have an option and you choose not to take it. That's why I and no doubt you are always hearing about how few people in the US have got a passport. It is because, so it is always being said, they are so insular. Personally I think with a country that size why would you need to go abroad!! In your case it could be a sign of contentment but how would you know if you have never been abroad?
I am required to go to Spain soon on my mothers business. All costs paid for. I don't want to go I am hoping to get another member of the family to go. I have a free family holiday coming up in the lake district.....I don't want to go. I don't want to leave Lincolnshire never mind going to Spain.
Been Malaya, Singapore, Sudan. Italy and Norway and the bits in between. And the US but I now don't want to leave the Lincolnshire Wolds. I have become insular.


This is an interesting area of discussion. Some people take the view that travel can make you wiser, but the Buddha probably did not get very far in his lifetime yet, according to the stories, became the wisest of the wise. Whether or not you believe in the Buddha's enlightenment, I believe that some of the most grounded, contented people I have met have been people who live simple lives and don't travel much. So, for me, never having been to X, Y or Z seems more like a boast than a confession.

User avatar
ChrisOntLancs
Posts: 527
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 9:47pm

Re: Things you've never done

Postby ChrisOntLancs » 11 Apr 2017, 1:35pm

never rated somebody's mindfulness on what they have or haven't done ;)

EDIT never told the truth about my own mindfulness :oops:

brynpoeth
Posts: 11020
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Things you've never done

Postby brynpoeth » 23 Jul 2017, 8:53pm

I have not patronised a barber since 2002, prompted by a price rise

One should do as much as possible oneself, it saves time and money, autonomy/subsidiarity is good. Not sure I liked a stranger touching me either

Anyone got some punning names for barbers? I know one called Haircut 100, obviously named after a pop band
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life