Things you've never done

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Colin_P

Re: Things you've never done

Post by Colin_P »

I've never said never.

But what I'd like to do that I have not;

1, Learn a foreign language.
2, Learn to play an instrument.
3, Buy an old camper van, strap the bikes to it and tour Europe.
4, Buy an old camper van, strap the bikes to it and tour North America.

For 3 & 4, the Wife has no interest so looks like i'll be off on my own..... "I'm just popping out for a packet of fags..." .... returns seven years later...
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've never paid for drinking-water.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

horizon wrote:I've never paid for drinking-water.

Not even from the local utilities company? Corpy pop I believe it's known as... :)
horizon

Post by horizon »

mrjemm wrote:
horizon wrote:I've never paid for drinking-water.

Not even from the local utilities company? Corpy pop I believe it's known as... :)

Some people don't regard it as drinking water. Personally I don't have a problem with it. :)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another one occurred to me last night, many times, during a cramped and uncomfortable train journey back from Newcastle:
* I've never travelled first class on the train.
As I stood glowering at the folks on the far side of the buffet car, enjoying all the leg room they could wish for and free tea/coffee (as I understand it) and unlimited WIFI (if you want that sort of thing.... :? ) - I began to wonder, why have I lived in self-denial all these years?

Perhaps, when I'm master of my own travelling expenses, instead of being subservient to my masters' policies..... just perhaps....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Colin_P wrote:I've never said never.

A concert sized ukulele has been a great companion to me on my travels. Cheap to buy and very capable with practice.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

iandriver wrote:
Colin_P wrote:I've never said never.

A concert sized ukulele has been a great companion to me on my travels. Cheap to buy and very capable with practice.

Intrigued me so had to look up "concert" Uke'.

How does a Uke' differ from a guitar? Obviously sound is different or is that it?

Lots of things I never done and some I wished I had. Time yet though - but running out fast. :o

You'll never know if you don't try it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

four strings as opposed to six for a start
NUKe

Post by iandriver »

Yes, 4 strings and the one that is normally lowest is tuned high. There are a few ways you can tune them. Don't be put off by the George Formby reputation, they are a fantastic little instrument and small enough to be transported on a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mge2rUUwYdA
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
IrishBill76 wrote:4: Never been so drunk that I lost my memory of what happened before...

Yeh .....their all called Mary :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Never owned a passport :(
Never been off the ground artificially except old time Fair rides :D
Never broken bones :)
Never answered my parents back :(
Never bought or drunk Cappuccino or the like :)
Never hired or paid for a prerecorded video :)
Never been on a package holiday :(
Never been on a date :?
Never taken a bike anywhere to be worked on or paid another to do work on my bikes either 8)

So plenty to do there :D
Never done drugs with exception of Morphine and Anabolic steriods, which them in white coats said would do me some good, but didnt.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Never owned a passport :(

mrjemm wrote:AFAIAA we don't own our passports, and quite possibly this may be the case with driving licences also.

I read something about this the other day. AIUI, no-one 'owns' their passport, it's down there in the small print that they all remain the property of HM the Queen.

Ironically, HM is the one person in the country who can travel abroad freely without a passport. And I'd hazard a guess she's never been through a security gate, either.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

fossala wrote:(1) Never been abroad
(2) Never driven a car
(3) Never owned any photo ID

I am going to France on Monday so today I drove to the Post Office to buy some Euros (not a good rate so didn't get many) but in order to collect them I had to show a photo ID. The latter because of money laundering concerns no doubt - which will take on a whole new meaning if they bring in plastic notes - as they are washable!

661-Pete wrote:Another one occurred to me last night, many times, during a cramped and uncomfortable train journey back from Newcastle:
* I've never travelled first class on the train.
As I stood glowering at the folks on the far side of the buffet car, enjoying all the leg room they could wish for and free tea/coffee (as I understand it) and unlimited WIFI (if you want that sort of thing.... :? ) - I began to wonder, why have I lived in self-denial all these years?

Perhaps, when I'm master of my own travelling expenses, instead of being subservient to my masters' policies..... just perhaps....

I once flew to Washington with British Airways* First Class. I wasn't paying of course but after experiencing it just this once if I had the money I wouldn't go any other way. Unlike Business Class they give you a glass of champagne before take off. In plain old Business Class I always had to wait until after the seatbelt sign went off. Dreadful.

Have travelled 1st Class umpteen times on trains, best journey was up to the north east by GNER from London. A well known actress sat opposite from me on the train and slowly drank the buffet car dry of gin!

On a slightly naughty note this thread reveals some interesting insights into some of our more well known contributors! An entirely unfair and undeserved thought is some of you folk need to get out more as pointing out how little experience of life you have does not perhaps create quite the impression you might expect - but each lives their own life as they want - if they have the opportunity to choose so I am not being critical but I can't help thinking it!

*Other airlines are available.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well known expessions commonly made about others or self confessed.

Well balanced
Feet on the ground
Hard working
Well travelled
Competitive or very competitive :?
Ambitious
Head strong
Well liked
Experienced
Versatile
Determined
Successful
The list goes on, I met a stranger once and they said that a certain person succeeds (anyone not a person in particular)because they are very determined, when I quizzed them on what makes them more determined than others they just repeated they just are :?:

Successful is a normal expression given to people with money not mentioning how they got it.
My brother inlaw was successful etc, etc, barn house buisiness's forien holidays, sponser, then bankrupt was alway a chronic alchaholic, had to sell big downsize, made money on the 87 storms fixing roofs, fixed our roof two men two hours then gave us a fifty note each :? Thats success..................
I see Will is ambitious to do his charity work...........You would think that he could do what he wanted.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

BeeKeeper wrote: if I had the money

I don't! And I don't miss the life I used to live one bit. Being a relatively impoverished pensioner with time on his hands to travel (bike and camper) suits me just fine.