Mushrooms!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
rjb

Re: Mushrooms!

Post by rjb »

This may help you http://www.gardenguides.com/89327-ident ... anure.html

Pics would have helped but heed the warning about them being poisonous, :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thanks for the link.

I'm motivated by idle curiousity rather than the desire for a foraging fry up.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

'Bump' time for this thread. :)

The season has started early this year. Out in the woods yesterday, we found plenty including lots of ceps (porcini/penny-buns), plus some hedgehog fungi and chanterelles. Almost 2Kg in all, after trimming, for us. One third eaten on the day, the rest is lightly braised in butter then goes in the freezer.

Only downside is that there seem to be a lot of Bitter Boletes (Tylopilus) around. Easily confused with the penny-bun, they won't do you any harm but might spoil your dinner! Some people can't taste the bitterness though.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Quite a few boletes (ceps) about here too. I eat the bitter boletes, but experience a lemony taste which I quite like. It's the devil's boletus (looks like an embarrassed cep) you can't eat IIRC.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just started collecting plums again, I know they are good to eat, I will be looking out for fungi after reading this, diolch yn fawr

Seasonality is the thing I think, we should be eating a lot of fungus and fruit in the autumn

Nid gwell gormod na rhy fychan
Too much is not better than too little

Welsh proverb, relates to the harvest I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Foraging for mushrooms tends to happen at the same time as this at Chez HC. 10 wheelbarrows filled later and youngest was back making her cardboard praying mantis. Hard life. Hard life.

661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

And another bump. Down our way (Sussex) the mushrooms are beginning to appear. It needs a spell of heavy or prolonged rain, then a wait of 10 days plus, before they pop up, so the season is very late this year: but hopefully there will be some.

Went to our favourite site yesterday, one we haven't visited for over two years. Not a big haul, but we managed about 500g of Hedgehog Fungi (pieds-de-mouton) and Ceps (Penny buns or porcini). Enough for a reasonable meal for two. Anyone here done better?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rjb

Post by rjb »

They are almost over here. Been picking from our cricket pitch a week ago. Looking at an earlier post ( dated 30 sep 2013)on this thread i picked them at the end of September previously.

This is the sept 2013 picking Image

They do have a strong flavour unlike the bland offerings in the supermarkets.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D