User friendly software?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: User friendly software?

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:re browsers - if I hold down cntrl key and turn the mouse wheel can zoom in and out by any amount. just tried that on XP and Mozilla and Windows 7 and IE

or cntrl with + and - on keypad?

The last bit of this is hold down CTRL and press 0 (zero rather than "oh") and things will return to normal size.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Which bit of Norfolk, rand? ;-) I'll see who I know near there. http://alug.org.uk
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ubuntu has gone a bit mad recently - unity and the new windowing system haven't been popular - but they might work well for a beginner.

Personally I use straight Debian for most things - you need to configure it to use "non-free" software (easy enough). Most flavours of linux can be run form a "live CD", or better from a "live USB stick" - this allows you to test it (albeit slower than normal) without sacrificing your existing OS installation.

Debian isn't cutting edge, one of the reasons I like it.

For most people I think a tablet with a physical keyboard covers all requirements. There are a few things which still need a workstation - heavy image/video/audio production (though audio and image processing are coming on in leaps and bounds).
But a tablet with HDMI out, a USB OTG port and a blutooth keyboard is hard to beat (running multiple applications side by side is the one thing still lacking - and various software on android (at least) are making that possible.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rand

Post by rand »

mercalia wrote:well sorry if u find Windows hard to get to work I think u will tear your hair out with Linux any variety. Linux is still quirky I think though much better than it used to be. I suggest u persevere with Windows 7. I moved from XP and found that a bit of a change but got there in the end

Have u tried the settings in control panel/display? I see there is a 150% ( in mine ).

You can also adjust text size there ( dpi )

What is (dpi)?

Rand.
rand

Post by rand »

mjr wrote:Which bit of Norfolk, rand? ;-) I'll see who I know near there. http://alug.org.uk

I live in Catfield, North Norfolk, NR29 5DB.

Rand.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

dpi = dots per inch

If you tell your PC how big the screen is then it can adjust the size appropriately - 'cos a 180p screen can be anywhere between 4 and 50 inches...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rand

Post by rand »

cycloret wrote:We're talking desktop OS, right, because the big thing in home computing is the growth of smart phones and tablet computers using Android, Windows Mobile or an Apple systems etc.

I use Ubuntu on a desktop PC and have for several years. It should work for you ok unless you have the latest or obsolete graphics card and some wifi cards may not work out-of-the-box. Therein sits one of the issues with Linux. Hardware manufacturers' commercial interests for the home PC market mean that they set their products up for Windows or Mac operating systems. Buy a ready made PC with pre-installed Windows software say and most of the work has been done for you. If you want to play games then Linux wouldn't be the choice. With Linux it's free and viruses are virtually unknown.

Many users of Ubuntu haven't liked the introduction of Ubuntu's Unity desktop, looking less now like XP and more like a tablet. The popularity of Ubuntu has declined and currently Linux Mint holds the number one spot. There's also Kubuntu and Xubuntu etc based on Ubuntu but with different desktop software. It's possible to run Ubuntu still so it looks a bit like XP by installing the gnome-session-fallback package.

Most Linux distros like Ubuntu or Mint support a live CD or DVD. You download the software, burn the iso image onto a disc, set your computer bios to boot from the CD drive first before your hard drive and you're off. Select the option to try Ubuntu or Mint, only select install if this is what you want.Using a live CD nothing is written to your hard drive. In situations like this I use a re-writable DVD so I can try different Linux distros.

I think I have already given you enough information to ensure you'll stick with Windows?

cycloret,

I appreciate your interest and that you mean well, but I haven't the faintest idea what to do, or what you mean.

I'm an old man with reducing synaptic activity, I receive Pension Credit, I have a fifteen year old Nokia "brick" and (even if I could afford it) I have no use for an all-singing, all-dancing smartphone and I have no wish to carry a tablet (Moses must be turning in his grave!) around with me.

I've not ridden an audax for some three years, as I couldn't read the route sheet and remember which waypoint I'd passed, so I had to stop at every waypoint and cross it out. This caused too much delay and I bought a Memory Map satnav, but have been unable to find anyone willing to show me (not for free-I'm prepared to pay) how to use it. Nice thing about the Memory Map is that there is a "voice prompt" facility, which would prevent me sailing past a turn. I can but dream!

So you see, at age seventy six I cannot (no fault of mine) constantly re-adjust to forever changing PC formats.

You have no idea what effort and time went into this posting. I just hope it clarifies my position.

Rand.
rand

Post by rand »

barrym wrote:Take a look at a Chromebook. Quite cheap, and very user friendly. No is upgrades, no viruses (as yet). If all you do is web browse then this is for you. Even if you want to do a little bit of file processing, like word or excel, then there online alternatives like Google docs.

Give it as look. Check to see if your local PC world have any and try one.

barrym,

I know absolutely NOTHING about the suitability of alternative systems and would have to rely on the knowledge of whoever I get to help me solve my PC problem.

I could explain my problems to any retail PC outlet in England, but I'd have no idea of the suitability, or otherwise, of the stuff that any enthusiastic employee might persuade me to buy and I certainly could not begin to even think about installing without experienced help.

I don't know what I have to do to convince people that I'm a geriatric dumbo, with no IT acumen and limited brainpower.

Rand.
barrym

Post by barrym »

Rand, I really think you should take a look at a chrome book. Just search for it a and check them out.

I have no personal experience of them, other than seriously considering one for my wife when her laptop gives up. However they do seem to offer a simple to use way of getting online. Open up and its on in 10secs. Use it. Close it down and its off.

Got to be worth a look.
--
Cheers
Barry
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

drossall wrote:Especially if you preferred earlier versions of Windows, you might try adding Classic Shell. It's just a Windows add-in, and you can turn it on and off, so you have little to lose by trying it.

I agree, although I thought it was possible to get something like this within Windows 7 itself? Or maybe I was imagining things.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Rand, could you tell us what you would use the computer for? We know that you use it for this forum. We know that you might use it for GPS-related navigation software for Audaxes and so on. What else? Do you write letters, send emails, and so on? Have you ever watched videos? Do you keep records of personal expenditure by computer? Anything else?

What you want it for makes a big difference to what you should choose.
drossall

Post by drossall »

crepello - good question. I think that there is a lot of customisation that can be done, but Classic Shell extends it and delivers a package, especially suited to those who prefer earlier interfaces.
rand

Post by rand »

mjr wrote:Which bit of Norfolk, rand? ;-) I'll see who I know near there. http://alug.org.uk
I can't get your link to work!

Rand.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sorry I'm a fool. Needs the www http://www.alug.org.uk/ is who I'll ask when I'm at the right computer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rand

Post by rand »

drossall wrote:Rand, could you tell us what you would use the computer for? We know that you use it for this forum. We know that you might use it for GPS-related navigation software for Audaxes and so on. What else? Do you write letters, send emails, and so on? Have you ever watched videos? Do you keep records of personal expenditure by computer? Anything else?

What you want it for makes a big difference to what you should choose.

drossall,

Until the recent installation of Windows 7 Home Premium, software I had just about become accustomed to XP, but for reasons I've mentioned in an earlier post, XP was removed and replace with my current brain teaser.

I really need to speak to someone to explain my very simple requirements.

If anyone who feel they could help would PM me with their telephone number, I'd be happy to call them and clarify my PC needs. I just don't know how to begin to list them in a meaningful way in writing.

Rand.