How Bad Can It Get

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

How Bad Can It Get

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This will take a long time to fix.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25804728
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
francovendee

Re: How Bad Can It Get

Post by francovendee »

What makes you think it'll be fixed? You have more confidence than I do. We need the police for sure but there is a disconnect between the police view of what is OK for them to do and what is OK for the rest of us. A programme was shown on TV last night about the Police use of guns which was quite shocking. The Police policy used to be to use the gun to disable the criminal, now they are trained to kill. When was all this agreed? and by whom?
I am aware that the Police do a very difficult job but secrecy and cover up's don't do anything to get the support from the public.
My oldest friend in the UK is an ex Policeman, having retired 15 years ago. He says that he doesn't recognise the force of today and wouldn't want to be part of it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I agree, it might never return to what I once perceived the police force to be.
Like an EX policeman I talked to recently he said, they are there to work for us...............
Unfortuanately like all large organisations there exist other organisations within who even fight amoungst themselves, and while they are in a constant power struggle ( more like ego tripping ) which destroys what they are working for, and of course its poor service for those who they are meant to uphold the law, protect, give confidence, for................us :!:

You see it all in government too.

This is the sort of behaviour that you see in state Military run countries :?:

The giving power back to the people, is just an idea for to ocupy us whilst they carry on.....................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

francovendee wrote:What makes you think it'll be fixed? You have more confidence than I do. We need the police for sure but there is a disconnect between the police view of what is OK for them to do and what is OK for the rest of us. A programme was shown on TV last night about the Police use of guns which was quite shocking. The Police policy used to be to use the gun to disable the criminal, now they are trained to kill. When was all this agreed? and by whom?
I am aware that the Police do a very difficult job but secrecy and cover up's don't do anything to get the support from the public.
My oldest friend in the UK is an ex Policeman, having retired 15 years ago. He says that he doesn't recognise the force of today and wouldn't want to be part of it.

The Police have a shoot to kill policy in certain situations and are absolutely right to do so. I give 3 examples of admittedly extreme situations:
1. A suspected terrorist with a suicide vest in a city centre. The only response is to shoot to kill before the suspect can trigger the explosive vest.
2. A hostage taker threatening to immediately kill his hostages.
3. An armed man on the rampage shooting people at random.
In all 3 scenarios the only effective action to protect the public is to kill the suspect.
I have no time for armchair critics who second guess what the Police should have done from the safety of their sitting room and with the benefit of hindsight. The Police have some very difficult and fast evolving situations involving very dangerous and evil individuals to deal with. They have to think and react fast and take action in order to protect the public and themselves. Yes, this does include killing the perpetrator.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I think the police have improved over the years and become more professional.

I knew a few of them socially at a sports club in the 70s and 80s and what a bunch of swaggering, boastful louts they were. They knew they were almost totally unaccountable and didn't mind drunkenly telling us so.