The Flooding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

The Flooding

Post by Edwards »

It has now started to snow here and I am thinking of those poor sods that are flooded out. The idea of having to live in a leisure centre or something similar just makes me shudder.

If you know of anybody flooded then they can come and stay here for as long for free, for as their homes are flooded. This house is not likely to flood, unless a bloke called Noah sails down the street.

If there is any way I can help those who need it just say (Land Rover Discovery available).

If my only problem is not getting out on the bike because of this weather then that is so small as to be insignificant.

Forgot to say we have a dog so pets welcome as well.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
patricktaylor

Re: The Flooding

Post by patricktaylor »

That's a nice offer Keith.

Edwards wrote:... thinking of those poor sods that are flooded out ...

Ditto. I am wondering how long it takes for a house to recover from inundation. It's hard to imagine.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

patricktaylor wrote: I am wondering how long it takes for a house to recover from inundation. It's hard to imagine.

It seems that by the time you've allowed enough time for the walls to dry right through, stripped out all the absorbent surfaces that have been soaked in dilute sewage and then rebuilt, it can be months and months. What I can't square with that is how some high street businesses seem to get back up and running in a few weeks, though. :?

Whenever I see flooding it always has me reflecting on what it must be like to live in fear of the next weather forecast all the time. I don't know where I'd find the motivation to rebuild knowing that it might all happen again as soon as it's finished.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

We used to drive through Carlisle after their floods and it seemed very variable how quickly houses were repaired, there was a shortage of industrial moisture extractors, and then again it depends on your insurance company. I'm in the position that if my house flooded the UK would be mostly under water, but those who are flooded out must be having a tough time and it won't improve quickly for them. A good summer would help.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

We experienced the floods in Tewkesbury in 2008 and know of some folks who were living in small touring caravans on their drives for up to two years.
We've revisited one café quite a few times since then and they've even been flooded out since then.
Absolutely devastating and I marvel at their tenacity of sticking with it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

axel_knutt wrote:
patricktaylor wrote: I am wondering how long it takes for a house to recover from inundation. It's hard to imagine.

It seems that by the time you've allowed enough time for the walls to dry right through, stripped out all the absorbent surfaces that have been soaked in dilute sewage and then rebuilt, it can be months and months. What I can't square with that is how some high street businesses seem to get back up and running in a few weeks, though. :?

Whenever I see flooding it always has me reflecting on what it must be like to live in fear of the next weather forecast all the time. I don't know where I'd find the motivation to rebuild knowing that it might all happen again as soon as it's finished.

one bloke took the insurance money and rebuilt, on stilts. Now he's happily on his balcony whilst 3' of water lap around the stilts. No damage.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I heard that some of the victims have not been able to get insurance in some flood prone areas. It must be really bad for those folks.
Keith Edwards
ukdodger

Diet crossed to Flooding

Post by ukdodger »

Tigger wrote:I've been away, and (having put on weight :( ) keen to get out on my bike again. However, I can't get to my bikes (or cross trainer) cos I can't open the garage door (pedestrian door swollen up with the wet weather/ car door is blocked shut) :shock: I'm hoping 'the man' coming to sort it in the morning doesn't do too much damage getting it open!

Tip. Dont let him shave it to fit in order to close it again. Use some other arrangement to hold it closed til it's dried out. The same happened to me. I chain the handle to an iron ring embedded in brickwork. When it's dried out paint it with an oil based paint not a paint that 'breathes' like Dulux's microselular which lets water in and out. That's great for anything that doesnt have to open and shut. I used that on all my doors and they all swelled up and had to be forced open!
Tigger

Re: I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

Post by Tigger »

ukdodger wrote:
Tigger wrote:I've been away, and (having put on weight :( ) keen to get out on my bike again. However, I can't get to my bikes (or cross trainer) cos I can't open the garage door (pedestrian door swollen up with the wet weather/ car door is blocked shut) :shock: I'm hoping 'the man' coming to sort it in the morning doesn't do too much damage getting it open!

Tip. Dont let him shave it to fit in order to close it again. Use some other arrangement to hold it closed til it's dried out. The same happened to me. I chain the handle to an iron ring embedded in brickwork. When it's dried out paint it with an oil based paint not a paint that 'breathes' like Dulux's microselular which lets water in and out. That's great for anything that doesnt have to open and shut. I used that on all my doors and they all swelled up and had to be forced open!

Thank you ukdodger... but is it actually going to dry out anytime soon?!! :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Edwards wrote:I heard that some of the victims have not been able to get insurance in some flood prone areas. It must be really bad for those folks.

yes, the guy i mentioned above saved 90% on his insurance premiums. but then they are living on a flood plain, it's not called a dry plain...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Tigger wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

Thank you ukdodger... but is it actually going to dry out anytime soon?!! :roll:

Who knows. I've never known it this bad. I can only close my garage doors by closing them both together. At least until summer I reckon. Then I plan to paint them with an oil based paint. Good luck. I really pity those flood victims.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

It's shocking here in Cork too. The City (extra-high tides plus strong winds) has flooded twice, but much of this area is reasonably hilly so floods like the Somerset Levels are unknown. They can happen around the River Shannon, though.

The time is going to come when people building on flood-pains are going to have to build on stilts, as they do in some parts of America.

Every year in Ireland, the same places get flooded. Cork City, Clonmel, Bandon and a few more towns.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

It is easy to forget about those flooded in other countries as they do not feature on our news. I can only give my best wishes to them as well.

A few years ago we were in Shrewsbury and the newer houses near the Severn had been built to allow the ground floor to flood. The residents lived in the 2 floors above.

It is not possible for the older houses to be jacked up. Especially those with real stone walls that were built a long time ago.
A terraced house would be even worse especially mid terrace.
Keith Edwards
skicat

Re:The Flooding

Post by skicat »

Gearoidmuar wrote:The time is going to come when people building on flood-pains are going to have to build on stilts, as they do in some parts of America.

It already happens to some extent. Our house, one of 3 on a floodplain built at the same time, was constructed 14 years ago. A condition of obtaining PP was that the house had to be built with a 2-foot void underneath to allow flood water to flow unimpeded. We're in the Thames Valley between the river and some lakes. Touch wood, we are still only on Flood Alert, not yet Flood Warning.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Gearoidmuar wrote:It's shocking here in Cork too. The City (extra-high tides plus strong winds) has flooded twice, but much of this area is reasonably hilly so floods like the Somerset Levels are unknown. They can happen around the River Shannon, though.

The time is going to come when people building on flood-pains are going to have to build on stilts, as they do in some parts of America.

Every year in Ireland, the same places get flooded. Cork City, Clonmel, Bandon and a few more towns.

Some of those places you've photographed in Cork looked perilously close to water level Gary.