The Flooding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: The Flooding

Postby [XAP]Bob » 12 Feb 2014, 10:41am

Edwards wrote:It is easy to forget about those flooded in other countries as they do not feature on our news. I can only give my best wishes to them as well.

A few years ago we were in Shrewsbury and the newer houses near the Severn had been built to allow the ground floor to flood. The residents lived in the 2 floors above.

It is not possible for the older houses to be jacked up. Especially those with real stone walls that were built a long time ago.
A terraced house would be even worse especially mid terrace.

You *can* juack up virtually any house. It just might be cheaper to knock it down and build again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNqul9TfJwI
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Ray

Re: I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

Postby Ray » 12 Feb 2014, 10:51am

ukdodger wrote:Some of those places you've photographed in Cork looked perilously close to water level Gary.

?? Have I missed something?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 12 Feb 2014, 11:29am

The BBC have flown a helicopter up the Thames. It doesn't seem too bad until about halfway through when it reaches Sunbury and then on to Chertsey. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26146361

This ones interesting as well. They must have used a drone* as it flies under the bridge. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26143668

Gives me a warm feeling they are spending my licence money wisely.

*They did - this thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu0lawDCkU4

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 12 Feb 2014, 11:38am

Ray wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Some of those places you've photographed in Cork looked perilously close to water level Gary.

?? Have I missed something?

Nah. I'm referring to FB.

irc

Postby irc » 12 Feb 2014, 11:42am

Seems the winter of 1929/30 was wetter than this winter. Of course the consequences this time may be worse following 85 years of building on flood plains and/or reduced dredging.

http://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpres ... 929-julia/

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 12 Feb 2014, 12:03pm

irc wrote:Seems the winter of 1929/30 was wetter than this winter. Of course the consequences this time may be worse following 85 years of building on flood plains and/or reduced dredging.

http://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpres ... 929-julia/

Honestly the biggest problem we have today is overpopulation. If there were fewer of us there would be less demand to build in those places. What's going on is insane. Next we'll have a food crisis. There's so much demand for space and resources any out of the ordinary event sends the country into a tail spin. How on earth can we expand exponentially within a finite resource.

Ray

Postby Ray » 12 Feb 2014, 12:07pm

ukdodger wrote:Nah. I'm referring to FB.

I'm none the wiser.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 12 Feb 2014, 12:10pm

Ray wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Nah. I'm referring to FB.

I'm none the wiser.

Facebook. Gary is a personal friend.

Lawrie9

Postby Lawrie9 » 12 Feb 2014, 1:29pm

Many coastal communities may have to be abandoned and lost to the sea as the cost shoring up sea defenses costs to much.
Another thing is the rush for green energy in the form of hundreds of thousands wind turbines on the boggy hills of Britain has ulimately increased the speed of water runoff in the uplands of the UK whereas the landscape would of acted as a sponge and contained the water for much longer without the wind turbines.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 12 Feb 2014, 1:57pm

Lawrie9 wrote:Another thing is the rush for green energy in the form of hundreds of thousands wind turbines on the boggy hills of Britain has ulimately increased the speed of water runoff in the uplands of the UK whereas the landscape would of acted as a sponge and contained the water for much longer without the wind turbines.

Yeah... Colour me unconvinced. 'Good practise' in turbine placement should mean there'll be little change to the water run off rate.

Are there turbines near all the flooded areas? Are there enough to make a difference? Is there evidence that those that are there have been badly installed?

I might be wrong here but I'm more of the opinion that virtually non-stop heavy rain has more to do with the flooding than pretty much anything else.
Now we *could* get into a discussion as to why there is such rain in the first place, the odds that we'll see more rain just like it and why that might be the case. ;)

irc

Postby irc » 12 Feb 2014, 2:28pm

kwackers wrote:
Lawrie9 wrote:Another thing is the rush for green energy in the form of hundreds of thousands wind turbines on the boggy hills of Britain has ulimately increased the speed of water runoff in the uplands of the UK whereas the landscape would of acted as a sponge and contained the water for much longer without the wind turbines.

Yeah... Colour me unconvinced. 'Good practise' in turbine placement should mean there'll be little change to the water run off rate.

Well entire hillsides visible from the M74 have been clear cut to allow construction of wind turbines As the clear cutting was not essential for construction I'd guess it was to maximise wind flow. I'd guess bare hillsides will shed water faster than forested hillside.

But I agree in most places this hasn't happened and wind turbines will not have affected the extent of current flooding.

Yes, it's caused by too much rain. As this article on the 1947 Thames flooding says

while work has been done to reduce or even obviate the effects of 'ordinary' floods, catastrophic floods (such as the records show occur on average two or three times every century) will still occur.

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/wind ... ods47.html

Geriatrix

Postby Geriatrix » 12 Feb 2014, 4:45pm

kwackers wrote:I might be wrong here but I'm more of the opinion that virtually non-stop heavy rain has more to do with the flooding than pretty much anything else.

Which is pretty much the assessment of Dr Hannah Cloke: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26155472

If we are looking for ways of managing flooding I think we should take some lessons from the Dutch who know a thing or two about it. Perhaps they will throw in a lesson or two about windmills while they are about it.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 12 Feb 2014, 4:53pm

Geriatrix wrote:
kwackers wrote:I might be wrong here but I'm more of the opinion that virtually non-stop heavy rain has more to do with the flooding than pretty much anything else.

Which is pretty much the assessment of Dr Hannah Cloke: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26155472

If we are looking for ways of managing flooding I think we should take some lessons from the Dutch who know a thing or two about it. Perhaps they will throw in a lesson or two about windmills while they are about it.

Isnt Venice on stilts?

Geriatrix

Postby Geriatrix » 12 Feb 2014, 5:33pm

ukdodger wrote:Isnt Venice on stilts?
It is, but Venice is city on a lagoon so its flooding problems are tidal related rather than due precipitation so its a different problem.

The Netherlands on the other hand is a similar engineering problem to Somerset in that large volumes of water with a low hydraulic gradient needs to be shifted. In fact since parts of the Netherland are below sea level you can't use gravity to the same extent as you can in the flooded areas of the UK.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Feb 2014, 5:36pm

BeeKeeper wrote:Gives me a warm feeling they are spending my licence money wisely.
It gives me a warm feeling that I don't pay for a licence ............. and you lot do. :D
Mick F. Cornwall