The Ukraine

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: The Ukraine

Post by Vorpal »

661-Pete wrote:
cyclingsitham wrote:What would the UK do, if you thought that there were rebellions in Ireland and there was a coup d'etat, would Britain stay still and would not monitor the case??
I'm not sure whether you're speaking from a historical context (with more than a hint of irony) or from the present-day situation, but no matter.

Of course, there is no history of Russia in Crimea, either.... :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I said, Crimea WAS Russian, and Mr Khrushchev gave it to Ukraine.
Look at a map, you'll see that Crimea is connected to both Russia and Ukraine, but historically Russian.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:...Look at a map, you'll see that Crimea is connected to both Russia and Ukraine, but historically Russian.

To be pedantic*, The Crimea is only connected by land to Ukraine, there is open water between it & Russia (the Strait of Kerch).

Rick
(*I've been fussy about geographical niceties ever since not getting points in a Scout Quiz where the answer they asked the question "what is the island near the mouth of the Mediterranean?" and the answer they wanted was "Gibraltar"! :shock:)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

Crimea and Eastern Ukraine are predominately ethnically Russian. The country is an artificial construct with Western Ukraine being forcibly added to an existing Russian territory. Ukrainian nationalism has been fermenting ever since in Western Ukraine but not in Eastern Ukraine. Partition now or in the future seems inevitable and may be the best outcome despite it not being what Ukrainian and Russian politicians want.
georgew

Post by georgew »

While I have little time for Putin, it would be helpful to view the whole problem in context.

"In the case of Crimea, which was only transferred to Ukraine by Nikita Khrushchev in the 1950s, that is clearly true for the Russian majority. And contrary to undertakings given at the time, the US and its allies have since relentlessly expanded Nato up to Russia's borders, incorporating nine former Warsaw Pact states and three former Soviet republics into what is effectively an anti-Russian military alliance in Europe. The European association agreement which provoked the Ukrainian crisis also included clauses to integrate Ukraine into the EU defence structure."
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...raine-fascists
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Matthew Paris writes on this in the Spectator and his views seem sensible

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/m ... -russians/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

georgew wrote:While I have little time for Putin, it would be helpful to view the whole problem in context.

Your link doesn't work, but I think this is the one you mean.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... e-fascists
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:Matthew Paris writes on this in the Spectator and his views seem sensible

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/m ... -russians/

It'll be for the first time then,upto now he hasn't a good track record on here,though he does play the piano,of a fashion :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden