Cycling After Giving Blood

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Tigger

Re: Cycling After Giving Blood

Post by Tigger »

Neilo wrote:
Mick F wrote:...When I was an apprentice, we all went to donate. One of the lads fainted when the pricked his finger for the blood test, he wat a bit squeamish. We laughed, oh did we laugh. I know you shouldn't mock the afflicted, but it was funny...

My mum used to be a nurse and she would always lie blokes down if she had to give an injection or take blood samples. She wouldn't automatically do that for women!

I would laugh too, since I enjoy medical related humour. But I suppose, to be kind to those that suffer this ailment, that it fits into the phobia bracket? The 'normal' * phobias can usually be explained eg fear of snakes/ spiders is quite sensible if you live in a place where there are poisonous critters. If you lose significant blood volume eg more than 15% then it's a good idea to lie down horizontally (before the brain sorts that out for you) although blood pressure can be maintained, thanks to the compensatory mechanisms, up to about 30% loss. One drop of blood is a complete over-reaction but presumably you faint because you think you've just lost shedloads and need to get horizontal? Most phobias are easily correctable, AFAIK, with cognitive behavioural therapy.

* as opposed to 'strange' phobias like fear of baked beans!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Tigger wrote:I would laugh too, since I enjoy medical related humour.
* as opposed to 'strange' phobias like fear of baked beans!

Well. 18 year old lads all together, who wouldn't laugh, and you had to know the guy as well, tough guy, bit of a bully, sort of poetic justice.

I almost passed out a couple of weeks ago when a nurse in the hospital tried to put a cannular in my hand.

I don't know about a phobia of baked beans. It is the devils food.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Neilo wrote:...I don't know about a phobia of baked beans. It is the devils food.

Neil

Surely that's only cold baked beanz? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Many thanks for all the responses.

Whilst I am doing decent miles on the bike, they are all recreational and virtually none are replacing use of the car - hence my enthusiasm for riding to the donor centre. But, I suspect I would be more sensible to drive (at least for my 1st time).

I am 110% sure I will not suffer from the psychological effects of seeing my own blood (seen it and other blood many times and my training/experience has be well exposed to gory things). It is more the impact of loss of a quantity of blood where I probably need to find out first.

Many thanks
Ian
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Tigger wrote:Surely that's only cold baked beanz? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, warm or cold, Yuck.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Tony Hancock yet :lol:

Good luck with your first donation Ian

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Psamathe wrote:...But, I suspect I would be more sensible to drive (at least for my 1st time)...

Good plan, I'd say!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tigger wrote:
Psamathe wrote:...But, I suspect I would be more sensible to drive (at least for my 1st time)...

Good plan, I'd say!

Why? I would even less like to suggest someone who thinks they might feel faint to operate potentially lethal heavy machinery. If in doubt, get the bus, or get someone else to drive.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Good plan, I'd say!

Why? I would even less like to suggest someone who thinks they might feel faint to operate potentially lethal heavy machinery. If in doubt, get the bus, or get someone else to drive.

I suppose it (driving) is a lower level of activity, making fewer demands on your body/oxygen delivery system, and maybe less likely to take you to the point where reduced blood starts to affect your performance. So, if different people are affected differently, I'm assuming they don't let you out of the Centre if you are unfit to drive home, but it's about 10 miles away so maybe establish how I react 1st time. I don't think I'll feel feint. In fact I don't remember any ill effects from when I was younger (and I've never liked tea).

It is more about harder physical activity after giving blood than just "being capable.

Ian
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

mjr wrote:
Tigger wrote:

Good plan, I'd say!

Why - because the staff (should) ensure that the donor is fit enough to leave - especially a first time donor. I would hope that this includes training staff to observe donors whilst they are having their drink/ biscuit eg looking for pallor, swaying, eye rolling or other signs of an impending faint. Obviously there's also an onus on the donor to admit if they don't feel right - though that might be difficult for macho types or people in a rush to 'get on', for example.

And because driving a car does not place a physiological demand on the driver. I just checked and it's 470ml of blood - just under a pint. As I said earlier nearly everyone can compensate easily - at rest - for that quantity. Low haemoglobin would be one reason for not coping but that is screened for - with a high safety margin.

I've just had a look at http://www.blood.co.uk and this is new to me (in bold);

Welcome and Preparation
Before donating blood, please eat regular meals, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids and avoid vigorous exercise or exertion. When you arrive we will ask you to read our welcome leaflet which explains the importance of blood safety. You will also be given around 500ml of water to drink just before you donate - this helps with your wellbeing during and after donation.

Also;
You should relax here for at least 15 minutes and have at least two drinks following donation.

Edited to add: cross-posted with Psamathe
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tigger wrote:...
Welcome and Preparation
...You will also be given around 500ml of water to drink just before you donate - this helps with your wellbeing during and after donation.

Don'y know if I could drink that much plain water. Do they offer beer as an alternative ?

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:Why? I would even less like to suggest someone who thinks they might feel faint to operate potentially lethal heavy machinery. If in doubt, get the bus, or get someone else to drive.

I suppose it (driving) is a lower level of activity, making fewer demands on your body/oxygen delivery system, and maybe less likely to take you to the point where reduced blood starts to affect your performance.

Well, leisure cycling 260 calories/hour, driving 140 cal/h - but walking 3 mph (=ordinary IMO) 290 cal/h.

In other words, if you're not recovered enough to cycle in a relaxed manner, then you're not recovered enough to walk back to the car!

(Source but I've seen similar figures from other sources for 10mph cycling in the past... the rule of thumb in my memory was 250cal/h for 10mph plus 70cal/h for each 1mph faster up to 18mph. Beyond that, aerodynamics dominate and energy use increases more rapidly.)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:Why? I would even less like to suggest someone who thinks they might feel faint to operate potentially lethal heavy machinery. If in doubt, get the bus, or get someone else to drive.

I suppose it (driving) is a lower level of activity, making fewer demands on your body/oxygen delivery system, and maybe less likely to take you to the point where reduced blood starts to affect your performance.

Well, leisure cycling 260 calories/hour, driving 140 cal/h - but walking 3 mph (=ordinary IMO) 290 cal/h.

In other words, if you're not recovered enough to cycle in a relaxed manner, then you're not recovered enough to walk back to the car!

(Source but I've seen similar figures from other sources for 10mph cycling in the past... the rule of thumb in my memory was 250cal/h for 10mph plus 70cal/h for each 1mph faster up to 18mph. Beyond that, aerodynamics dominate and energy use increases more rapidly.)

The energy expenditure (walking or cycling) will depend on terrain... which we don't know for the OP. What we do know (IIRC) is that the cycling distance is 10 miles (each way?) whereas the walking to and from car is <=100yds if the venue has a car park. (Which IME they do.) Bit of a difference!
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

The satisfaction i get from giving blood far outweighs any minor inconvenience it may cause,and all of the advice given by them is common sense really,if a bit over cautious i feel.
I`ve given nearly forty times now,and the only problem i have had has been spreading a bit extra on the floor on two occasions :lol:

We`re all different though.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Psamathe wrote:Don'y know if I could drink that much plain water. Do they offer beer as an alternative ?

Back in my student days they used to offer beer instead of tea as a 'recovery drink'. What self-respecting student refuses a free beer? The only trouble was it went straight to my head....and I was due for a piano lesson.....and I made a complete mess of things, could scarcely read the music.... :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tigger wrote:
mjr wrote:Well, leisure cycling 260 calories/hour, driving 140 cal/h - but walking 3 mph (=ordinary IMO) 290 cal/h. In other words, if you're not recovered enough to cycle in a relaxed manner, then you're not recovered enough to walk back to the car! [...]
The energy expenditure (walking or cycling) will depend on terrain... which we don't know for the OP. What we do know (IIRC) is that the cycling distance is 10 miles (each way?) whereas the walking to and from car is <=100yds if the venue has a car park. (Which IME they do.) Bit of a difference!

There's a difference, but it's the rate of exertion which would cause problems more than the duration. Giving blood is basically the physiological opposite of blood doping, isn't it?

FWIW the two nearest venues I know here don't have car parks and it's quite a walk to the nearest free parking - people ride away from the nearby cycle parks after giving blood without apparent problems. After all, it's easier than walking!