Spokeless folding bike

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Spokeless folding bike

Postby iandriver » 7 May 2014, 11:41am

Interesting solution to a problem (though I'm not sure what the problem is)
Thought you all might enjoy a look at this, a spokeless bike:

http://innovation.uk.msn.com/personal/s ... -no-spokes
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Si

Re: Spokeless folding bike

Postby Si » 7 May 2014, 5:13pm

I guess that the problem is that any folding bike is limited by the size of its wheels. This one allows you to fold the wheels and thus get it smaller.
Of course, the extent to which this might compromise ride and reliability is another thing.

Velorum

Postby Velorum » 7 May 2014, 7:11pm

Interesting but I cant see that there will be thousands of cheap Bromptons on eBay as a result anytime soon

cjchambers

Postby cjchambers » 7 May 2014, 9:04pm

Hats off to the guy, it's an absolutely beautiful thing. I doubt it rides well, though - those wheels must be *very* stiff.

The likes of the A-bike and Strida have shown that people aren't really all that keen on funky folders. Esp when they could just buy a Brompton.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 May 2014, 9:28pm

cjchambers wrote: Esp when they could just buy a Brompton.
I said on another thread, that I've never seen a Brompton, and that I wasn't aware of their weight. It seems that they need some "Easy Wheels" to help you transport them ..... ie dragging them along whilst folded because they are way too heavy to carry. :shock:

I've carried my non-folding 531c diamond frame bike over the shoulder through London Underground without much trouble, and I've even taken it apart and carried it in a bag even more easily.

Is this new idea nice and light and easier to carry than a Brompton?
Mick F. Cornwall

cjchambers

Postby cjchambers » 7 May 2014, 10:05pm

The lightest Brompton you can buy is about 9.5kg. Hub gears, dynamo etc. will get you up to ~14kg.

The main issue I find with carrying a folding bike is the density and awkward weight distribution - there's nowhere convenient to hold or balance like on a diamond frame. My Dahon is ~11kg, but it feels like it weighs a ton compared to my ~12kg df when I'm carrying it up the stairs.

mike_dowler

Postby mike_dowler » 7 May 2014, 11:08pm

I rarely carry my Brompton more than about 5 yards - any further, and I unfold it and wheel or cycle it. It needs to fold up small so that it doesn't take up space in the train, but it doesn't need to be carry-able

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 7 May 2014, 11:41pm

mike_dowler wrote:I rarely carry my Brompton more than about 5 yards - any further, and I unfold it and wheel or cycle it. It needs to fold up small so that it doesn't take up space in the train, but it doesn't need to be carry-able

I just pull the handlebars up (don't even fix them) and then pull it along like a suitcase on the rolling wheels. When you get where you want to go just let go of the handlebars and they'll park themselves folded again. It helps to fit the next to no weight bar brace to make a good pulling handle.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 9 May 2014, 12:25pm

mike_dowler wrote:I rarely carry my Brompton more than about 5 yards - any further, and I unfold it and wheel or cycle it. It needs to fold up small so that it doesn't take up space in the train, but it doesn't need to be carry-able

+1 They are so quick and easy to fold it's the way to go
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly