What do you love to hate? e.g Moultons ..

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brynpoeth
Posts: 11242
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

What do you love to hate? e.g Moultons ..

Postby brynpoeth » 24 May 2014, 10:17am

I love to hate radio 4. Many of the programmes are very good, for example a recent series by Martin Sixsmith about psychology. But even this fascinating programme is "adorned" :-((( with background miusic. Revolting! Even worse is "the listening project" with its awful tinkling. I suspect it is very interesting but I can not bear to listen to it. Mind, the jingles on German radio are even worse ..

What do you love to hate, or love AND hate?
Last edited by brynpoeth on 18 Oct 2019, 10:02am, edited 2 times in total.
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

rabmania
Posts: 32
Joined: 3 May 2013, 4:07pm

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby rabmania » 24 May 2014, 10:32am

Radio 2. Those who love the sound of their own voices, and when they play a song I really like, they talk over it even more. I only listen when the OH has control over one of our many radios. There was a show I listened to - Mark Radcliffe's Music Club. The 12 year olds took it off. I share the OP's hatred of R4 'background' music.

User avatar
squeaker
Posts: 3553
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 11:43pm
Location: Sussex

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby squeaker » 24 May 2014, 10:38am

rabmania wrote:.... Those who love the sound of their own voices....
UKIP ;) :lol:
"42"

User avatar
Vantage
Posts: 2680
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 1:44pm
Location: somewhere in Bolton
Contact:

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby Vantage » 24 May 2014, 11:33am

Top Gear.
I love the banter and as much as I love watching them rip the living daylights out of the latest supercar, each of the presenters needs a good smack round the head with a pair of mid 90's Manitou suspension forks.
Bill


“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

cjchambers
Posts: 840
Joined: 29 Jun 2008, 9:55pm
Location: Hartlepool

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby cjchambers » 24 May 2014, 11:43am

rabmania wrote:Radio 2

I like 95% of Radio 2. The remaining 5% is Elaine Paige. That laugh . . . .

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46738
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby Mick F » 24 May 2014, 12:29pm

Radio 2
Awful.

Chris Evans
Ken Bruce
Jeremy Vine

All three should be shot at dawn.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7773
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby al_yrpal » 24 May 2014, 1:11pm

Ken Bruce, Woman's Hour, Front Row, You and Yours and The Archers.

Thank goodness for Radio 6 and Chris Evans!

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Mark1978
Posts: 4912
Joined: 17 Jul 2012, 8:47am
Location: Chester-le-Street, County Durham

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby Mark1978 » 24 May 2014, 2:53pm

Bloody listening project. I want to throw something every time it comes on it's so annoying. Worst part is that they cut really good programmes like 'More or Less' short in order to fit in this drivel.

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby meic » 24 May 2014, 3:03pm

This Forum. :oops:
Yma o Hyd

axel_knutt
Posts: 1491
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 12:20pm

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby axel_knutt » 24 May 2014, 3:14pm

cjchambers wrote:I like 95% of Radio 2. The remaining 5% is Elaine Paige. That laugh . . . .

Her laugh grates with me a bit too, but most of the music she plays reminds me of big sisters party piece in Dirty Dancing.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

iandriver
Posts: 2172
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby iandriver » 24 May 2014, 6:48pm

Any bbc radio and its rediculous dominance of the FM airwaves. God bless DAB and internet radio.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2309
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Bristol - work in... Yate!

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby simonineaston » 24 May 2014, 6:58pm

Cor, that's a lot of hate, guys! Thank-goodness therefore that the twin blood-pressure pills of the tuning knob and the off-switch are there for you all to use...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7773
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby al_yrpal » 24 May 2014, 8:33pm

The great radio revolution for me is Tune in Radio on my tablet. Anywhere around the house, garage and garden I can tune in to practically anything around the world. African Rock music, Podcasts from public radio in America, practice my French by listening to their news, its a revalation, and its so portable. You can make it private and more rewarding with a pair of decent in ear earphones, I have some superb Beats ones that came with my phone.
So, I never have to suffer Mr Bruce or anything I dislike, loads of choice... So, just the tuning knob does it for me.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

JohnW
Posts: 6232
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby JohnW » 24 May 2014, 9:35pm

squeaker wrote:
rabmania wrote:.... Those who love the sound of their own voices....
UKIP ;) :lol:


...............nice one squeaker :lol: :lol: :lol:

blackbike
Posts: 2492
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 3:21pm

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Postby blackbike » 25 May 2014, 12:31am

Since podcasts were invented I've stopped listening to Radio 4. I prefer to download the programmes I like.

However , I do tune into You and Yours once in while for a laugh.

You don't have to wait long before the presenter tells us that there is no regulation at all for anyone wanting to set up a dog barbers, flower pressing shop or tarot card reading business, the clear implication being that there should be some sort of vast state bureaucracy to oversee such enterprises.