What do you love to hate?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I love to hate my smartphone, I spend too much time on it when I should be reading books or talking to people. Fortunately the battery runs down eventually

Mind, I am not so obsessive yet, I always leave it at home when I go out, do others do likewise? (I do take my mobile phone when I go out, mind)

Rampant consumerism is evident here - or are they one and the same? :lol:

No no I am not loopy yet, I have had the mobile phone number for 20 years, besides the smartphone (€50) is much too big for my pocket :?
Got far too many books mind, quite proud of that, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g the cops, radio 4 ..

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate the police

Lance Dopestrong just described his career as a cop, we should all be grateful to him

I am a law-abiding citizen :wink:, I rarely have contact with the girls and boys in blue but when I do it often makes me sick

Waiting to cycle across a main road this week where I did not have priority. A police vehicle stopped, the driver tried to wave me across, unbelievable, stupid, I suspect if she thought about it, she thought she was doing me a favour

Sometimes a good motto for the cops would be: "we do nothing, and talk about it"
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

R4 Women's Hour ... I know i don't have to listen too it, but ...... does nothing happy or fun ever happen to women ?
Even my wife calls it Women's Whinging Hour ..... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:R4 Women's Hour ... I know i don't have to listen too it, but ...... does nothing happy or fun ever happen to women ?

Are you allowed to listen to it, do you have a permit? When is mens hour broadcast? :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 20 Oct 2018, 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:R4 Women's Hour ... I know i don't have to listen too it, but ...... does nothing happy or fun ever happen to women ?

They have a great deal to complain of, including perhaps you! :-)

Try some empathy if you can't manage sympathy. But I forget, you can't step out of your Landsurfer boots into the shoes of another, even in imagination. Perhaps you would need the direct experiences, in the form of several varieties of physical and mental abuses to which the general observation of onlookers is, "Stop whinging"?

But wait! That is often a mode found in the armed forces, is it not? Perhaps you have gone Stockholm syndrome and now sympathise with general abuse as a means to toughen up one's summick or other? Alas, many of us feel that "toughened up" is just a precursor to an inclination to do some toughening-up of others, with their "whinging" merely an indicator that the process is having an effect.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Are you allowed to listen to it, do you have a permit? When I'm mens hour broadcast? :wink:

Men's hour is broadcast for the other 23 hours in the day. Haven't you noticed?

Anyroadup, I recommend a switch of channels to Radio 3, where many fine and fascinating folk can be heard both playing and speaking about the playing. Many, perhaps even most, are women. Not a "whinge" to be heard ..... although their subject-matter would perhaps be over the head of some, who prefer a Yank movie with lotsa guns, personal violence, car-chases and drawled tough-talk performed with best-snarl-lip. Oh, and the successful theft of lotsadollars by being "clever".

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Are you allowed to listen to it, do you have a permit? When I'm mens hour broadcast? :wink:

Anyroadup, I recommend a switch of channels to Radio 3, where many fine and fascinating folk can be heard both playing and speaking about the playing. Many, perhaps even most, are women. Not a "whinge" to be heard ..... although their subject-matter would perhaps be over the head of some, who prefer a Yank movie with lotsa guns, personal violence, car-chases and drawled tough-talk performed with best-snarl-lip. Oh, and the successful theft of lotsadollars by being "clever".

Cugel

I heard a woman broadcaster out of hours the other day. I have written a stern letter to The Times, I can tell you. One can imagine she wasn't in evening dress, either.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Are you allowed to listen to it, do you have a permit? When I'm mens hour broadcast? :wink:

Cugel

I heard a woman broadcaster out of hours the other day. I have written a stern letter to The Times, I can tell you. One can imagine she wasn't in evening dress, either.

Being still infected with a degree of male hormone flush, I often imagine those disembodied female voices clad in things other than an evening dress. I'm afraid I am not yet fully redeemed from what I will call The Landsurfer Condition.

I will expiate my shame somehow .... but all the procedures I know are rife with opportunities for a further fall from grace.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What with the twin turnoffs of Womens Hour and Ken Bruce of a morning I have come to prefer Radio 6 Music and Radio 4 Extra. Radio 6 takes you outside the Pop comfort zone and exposes you to some pretty decent music, a lot of the British stuff thats currently so popular in other countries being toured around the world by British artists and bands. Some of 4 Extra's stuff is gold standard nostalgia.

I do hate a lot of modern so called 'Comedy'. A lot seems to rely heavily on smut and four letter utterances. I am not a prude but thats no substitute for funny. I watched "It was alright in the 70s" which focussed on politically incorrect 70s comedy. It wouldnt be allowed these days because of the disrespectful treatment of homosexuals, women, foreigners and people of colour. But.. It was often very funny. There was of course lots more really funny people in those days with no smut, 4 letter words etc.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I listen to R4 from getting up in the morning, sometimes at 5am ........................ until Woman's hour starts, and then it's OFF.

Drives me crackers.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate foodstores ('supermarkets'), there used to be two near me, one has closed and the other will shut for a few days soon to be tarted up

Couldnae find the groats for porridge this evening, then I found them reduced by 50%, they are being delisted
Bought four packs, but what will I do when they run out? :(
peetee

Post by peetee »

Endless references to 'strictly' on BBC radio stations.

I don't watch TV anymore because I simply can't stand the way it's presented. It started with the smiley 'double act' newscasters (for the attention deficient) and became unbearable with the proliferation of reality TV and it's contrived, drawn-out show filling scenarios.
As for soaps, i don't understand how half this stuff is pleasurable and regarded as entertainment. If it was happening in the street outside or in the house next door you would be outraged and calling the police.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I love to hate foodstores ('supermarkets'), there used to be two near me, one has closed and the other will shut for a few days soon to be tarted up

Couldnae find the groats for porridge this evening, then I found them reduced by 50%, they are being delisted
Bought four packs, but what will I do when they run out? :(

You'll be okay for a while:

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/o ... ulk-a.html
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate youth hostels

I am a YHA life member, have stayed at more than a hundred hostels in the UK and dozens on the mainland. Even worked as an assistant warder

Had some great times in beautiful buildings, met many interesting people (two I still know after 30+ years), had porridge plus the Full Monty for breakfast

Met unpleasant warders, unpleasant hostellers who kept me awake

Do others remember the emotion at the end of a long day on reaching a hostel that was full or closed? :?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Chris Evans that grinning monkey
now we know why he has left thhe BBC -

Chris Evans and BBC Radio 2 drop to six-year low in Rajar audience ratings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45966740