What do you love to hate?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

What do you love to hate?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate radio 4. Many of the programmes are very good, for example a recent series by Martin Sixsmith about psychology. But even this fascinating programme is "adorned" :-((( with background miusic. Revolting! Even worse is "the listening project" with its awful tinkling. I suspect it is very interesting but I can not bear to listen to it. Mind, the jingles on German radio are even worse ..

What do you love to hate, or love AND hate?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 6 Mar 2020, 3:28pm, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rabmania

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Post by rabmania »

Radio 2. Those who love the sound of their own voices, and when they play a song I really like, they talk over it even more. I only listen when the OH has control over one of our many radios. There was a show I listened to - Mark Radcliffe's Music Club. The 12 year olds took it off. I share the OP's hatred of R4 'background' music.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

rabmania wrote:.... Those who love the sound of their own voices....
UKIP ;) :lol:
"42"
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Top Gear.
I love the banter and as much as I love watching them rip the living daylights out of the latest supercar, each of the presenters needs a good smack round the head with a pair of mid 90's Manitou suspension forks.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

rabmania wrote:Radio 2

I like 95% of Radio 2. The remaining 5% is Elaine Paige. That laugh . . . .
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Radio 2
Awful.

Chris Evans
Ken Bruce
Jeremy Vine

All three should be shot at dawn.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ken Bruce, Woman's Hour, Front Row, You and Yours and The Archers.

Thank goodness for Radio 6 and Chris Evans!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Bloody listening project. I want to throw something every time it comes on it's so annoying. Worst part is that they cut really good programmes like 'More or Less' short in order to fit in this drivel.
meic

Post by meic »

This Forum. :oops:
Yma o Hyd
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

cjchambers wrote:I like 95% of Radio 2. The remaining 5% is Elaine Paige. That laugh . . . .

Her laugh grates with me a bit too, but most of the music she plays reminds me of big sisters party piece in Dirty Dancing.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Any bbc radio and its rediculous dominance of the FM airwaves. God bless DAB and internet radio.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cor, that's a lot of hate, guys! Thank-goodness therefore that the twin blood-pressure pills of the tuning knob and the off-switch are there for you all to use...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The great radio revolution for me is Tune in Radio on my tablet. Anywhere around the house, garage and garden I can tune in to practically anything around the world. African Rock music, Podcasts from public radio in America, practice my French by listening to their news, its a revalation, and its so portable. You can make it private and more rewarding with a pair of decent in ear earphones, I have some superb Beats ones that came with my phone.
So, I never have to suffer Mr Bruce or anything I dislike, loads of choice... So, just the tuning knob does it for me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

squeaker wrote:
rabmania wrote:.... Those who love the sound of their own voices....
UKIP ;) :lol:

...............nice one squeaker :lol: :lol: :lol:
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Since podcasts were invented I've stopped listening to Radio 4. I prefer to download the programmes I like.

However , I do tune into You and Yours once in while for a laugh.

You don't have to wait long before the presenter tells us that there is no regulation at all for anyone wanting to set up a dog barbers, flower pressing shop or tarot card reading business, the clear implication being that there should be some sort of vast state bureaucracy to oversee such enterprises.