What do you love to hate?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:I hate vastly overpaid people telling us they are "worth it". Most of us are worth it but we don't get it. My wife is a graduate of Bath University and regularly gets begging messages from them. In the light of the story about their overpaid Vice Chancellor she is thinking of telling them to cease communications since they clearly do not need her support.

What does one spend GBP 400 000 a year on? Any ideas?
Guess such people just die very rich, who gets their money then? (see thread about cost of living)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate driving, often I think I would be glad if I never did it again

But I do enjoy operating my vehicle correctly

By obeying the law I have infuriated thousands of motons :D

Plusminus?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:I hate vastly overpaid people telling us they are "worth it". Most of us are worth it but we don't get it. My wife is a graduate of Bath University and regularly gets begging messages from them. In the light of the story about their overpaid Vice Chancellor she is thinking of telling them to cease communications since they clearly do not need her support.

Guess such people just die very rich, who gets their money then? (see thread about cost of living)

I could easily get through £400k/year.

Replace a couple of cars, have a larger house (and the cleaning contract to go with it)
There are always new lenses for cameras, new audio kit and the like that would be nice to have.

That's before the non material things that I'd want to do, like equipping local churches, setting up a decent homeless shelter/support system etc...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

old_windbag wrote:
reohn2 wrote:You can put that in your pipe and smoke it :shock:

Ah you must miss the days of being top billing at Batley Variety Club......................... or the Wheeltappers and shunters, order order. :lol:

Pies 'ave come so form an orderly queue :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was "done over"* by Colin Crompton once in the 70's at the Talk of the North club,one of the best comedians I've ever seen live.

*it's the only way I can describe it,I was sore from laughing so much I felt like I'd been beaten up.
I analysed his performance a day or two later when I'd recovered and realised he was a master of comedy,his timing and deliver were exquisite the jokes were almost a side show.
Sadly missed I have to say.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I do wonder if the Vice chancellor of Bath Spa had been a man whether this would have had the same focus. yes it excessive to us mere mortals, but is the pay extra ordinary when compared to her peers or leaders of other establishments?

It is the system of Pay that needs tackling and not vilification of individuals.
NUKe

Post by old_windbag »

reohn2 wrote:I was "done over"* by Colin Crompton once in the 70's at the Talk of the North club,one of the best comedians I've ever seen live.

The television show "the comedians" showcased a lot of the 70's comics and there were some really good ones. Colin crompton looked old as so many did but died quite young. Ken goodwin, norman collier, frank carson, bernard manning( he did have talent), they were old school comics and learned their trade the hard way. Another pretty witty person is barry cryer who used to appear on jokers wild with ted ray.

Someone i couldn't stand as a kid was jimmy tarbuck, then i went on a holiday to scarborough and saw him live. He was seriously funny and played the audience well, changed my view of him.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

old_windbag wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I was "done over"* by Colin Crompton once in the 70's at the Talk of the North club,one of the best comedians I've ever seen live.

The television show "the comedians" showcased a lot of the 70's comics and there were some really good ones. Colin crompton looked old as so many did but died quite young. Ken goodwin, norman collier, frank carson, bernard manning( he did have talent), they were old school comics and learned their trade the hard way. Another pretty witty person is barry cryer who used to appear on jokers wild with ted ray.

Someone i couldn't stand as a kid was jimmy tarbuck, then i went on a holiday to scarborough and saw him live. He was seriously funny and played the audience well, changed my view of him.

Good comedians are very clever and quick witted people,I have a great deal of respect for them,and particularly Barry Cryer,never did like Tarby,but I've never seen him live.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If we've now diverted onto "comedians we like", then an honourable mention for a young Mike Harding, less well known as a comic, but the funniest person I've seen in the flesh (who was trying to be funny, that is).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:If we've now diverted onto "comedians we like", then an honourable mention for a young Mike Harding, less well known as a comic, but the funniest person I've seen in the flesh (who was trying to be funny, that is).

I used to watch him in folk clubs juussttt before he became famous,very good and very funny :D
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

About the same time, I reckon.
pwa

Post by pwa »

NUKe wrote:I do wonder if the Vice chancellor of Bath Spa had been a man whether this would have had the same focus. yes it excessive to us mere mortals, but is the pay extra ordinary when compared to her peers or leaders of other establishments?

It is the system of Pay that needs tackling and not vilification of individuals.

I was outraged at that story before I knew it was a woman. We are struggling to help our kids through Uni at the moment, making big sacrifices to keep their debt as low as possible, and there is a big fat leach at the top creaming it off!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
NUKe wrote:I do wonder if the Vice chancellor of Bath Spa had been a man whether this would have had the same focus. yes it excessive to us mere mortals, but is the pay extra ordinary when compared to her peers or leaders of other establishments?

I was outraged at that story before I knew it was a woman. We are struggling to help our kids through Uni at the moment, making big sacrifices to keep their debt as low as possible, and there is a big fat leach at the top creaming it off!

Some thoughts on this theme.

Her annual salary is £250K, which is nice for her, and the cause of much angst, but if we want universities to operate commercially, we should be careful with our reaction when they do indeed behave that way. The remainder of her "pay" is in fact compensation for loss of office under the terms of her contract. That is, something that both parties entered into freely at the start of her employment. There's not much that can be done about that after the event.

That said, I caught a snippet on Today this morning which was saying, in terms, that if Universities were Financial Services, there would be a case brought for mis-selling regarding many courses.

Sounds a little like deregulation in FS to me - perhaps we might just want to take a look at the regulatory environment...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate *mark all threads read*

I keep hitting it by accident :cry:
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

I love to hate "thread/OP/topic" reply deviation.

I love Ebay....i also hate Ebay.

I (used to) love Chris Hoy.....now i hate Chris Hoy...apparently i'm now a "fat middle aged git" who looks like a dayglo prize turkey huffin n a puffun up my local hill whilst wearing Lycra.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

In one word TAX

This is the unfairness of the tax system. Expecting the better paid to pay a higher rate of tax is grossly unfair. There should be a single rate payable by all, that's the fairest way for everyone. Think about it - if you negotiate a pay rise and you are paying 50% tax in order to increase your purchasing power by £50k you would need £100k. If there was a single rate you could reduce the £400k salary to £250k to achieve the same result. Still a lot of money.
:twisted:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D