TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: TV licensing...

Post by gbnz »

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote: I agree six months is harassment

Yep, they're onto me again. I couldn't give a ..........last time but one they came around, I'd had a ten hour day at work, was stripping a difficult bottom bracket and at 6'2", scowled at the "inspector". As always, he departed without bothering to check
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

this is the final stage letter I got from those scabs

look at the bottom what they "can" do to you - I think they need to be challenged in court to see if they can legally keep on sending out these letters when you tell them to cease and desist - if a private company you used to do business with kept on contacting you about buying their products and you told them to stop it and they refused that would be legally sanctionable. We have all heard of things govts do that the courts decide is illegal, I think the whole Capita letter writing should be made illegal. It might be tolerable but these ****** dont even give you an SAE or FREEPHONE NUMBER to reply in wrting or to phone, , they shouldnt assume you have an internet connection, so they are cutting their costs by making you fork out for a stamp or a phone call that will cost them nothing. I think this might be a way to get at them in the courts, that they have to provide the means at their expence to reply to their requests?
Attachments
click to  enlarge
click to enlarge
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

People don`t still think they are "inspectors" do they ?

They are sales staff. And they have no right to approach you in any way.

Pet hate of mine, TVL.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I use Iplayer to listen to some radio programs where I missed the live broadcast ( VHF of course ).

It took a bit of digging to that did not require a license when faced with the much more general and emphatic message that you need one for all Iplayer use.

I will continue to fill in any declarations that they send me, as I have better things to do than seek aggravation.
( e.g. too busy flushing the toilet with a bucket . . . :lol: )
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Some people love aggravation.

I saw a guy asked to pick up some litter he'd dropped by a PCSO. He launched into a fairly threatening tirade of abuse about "pretend" policemen. By the time the "real" police arrived he'd drawn quite a crowd who clapped in appreciation when he was manhandled to the floor, handcuffed and carted off.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

kwackers wrote:
mjr wrote:
kwackers wrote: I'm struggling to think of anyone I know who doesn't have a tele (so far zero).

Seriously, you don't know ANYONE who doesn't own a television ??

All three of my grown up children don't own TVs and a number of my friends don't. Obviously this doesn't mean that you should know someone who doesn't own a TV, it's just that I find it surprising.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tiberius wrote:Seriously, you don't know ANYONE who doesn't own a television ??

All three of my grown up children don't own TVs and a number of my friends don't. Obviously this doesn't mean that you should know someone who doesn't own a TV, it's just that I find it surprising.

No, it's true. 24 hours later and I still can't think of anyone.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

mercalia wrote:this is the final stage letter I got from those scabs

It's not a 'final stage' letter really. It's just a rotation/slightly random selection.

The worst (in terms of most misleading/falsely threatening) I've seen is this one:

http://bbctvlicence.com/201602%20letter.jpg

I've not seen it in a while so I think they might have had a few too many complaints about that one and taken it out of the rotation.

Given the threat to visit remains even if you sign a declaration I'm not sure why I'd waste my time doing so in addition to the fact that it would also give them information about me that they currently do not posses (i.e. my name).
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:
Tiberius wrote:Seriously, you don't know ANYONE who doesn't own a television ??

No, it's true. 24 hours later and I still can't think of anyone.

That you know and know doesn't own a TV.
It's not the first thing most people would say about themselves...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:That you know and know doesn't own a TV.
It's not the first thing most people would say about themselves...

No, but when the conversation talks about watching stuff on TV you can discount them, ditto going around to their houses and seeing it in a corner.

I'm not discounting the fact that someone I know may not own one, simply that I'm not aware of them. It's certainly true that nobody I'd call a friend or any of my relatives are sans TV.

Licenses on the other hand, a couple of my friends over the years got nobbled for not having one when they should.
That's a fairly impressive ratio! (Higher I think than the quoted 6-7%)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

One might have a TV in the corner and no license. Quite legally as well.

TVL is only proven necessary when someone talks about sky/virgin subscription, freest, freeview or BBC content.

Of course that is *slightly* different from not owning a TV at all, I have always had a TV in the house, it just hasn't had any 'reception equipment' of any sort for many years.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tiberius wrote:
kwackers wrote:
mjr wrote:

Seriously, you don't know ANYONE who doesn't own a television ??

+1, what is special about your family?
I have no tivi either, did have one 20+ years ago
Do like watching S4C on hols,mind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:One might have a TV in the corner and no license. Quite legally as well.
When our analogue telly went to the recycling skip, we bought an Elgato EyeTV unit to plug into the USB socket at the back of our iMac that we placed on the TV stand in the corner.
This unit is back in its original box and is in the loft. The TV aerial was recycled, but the lead is still all the way from the old bracket on the gable end right into the living room. You never know, we may want to watch telly in the future ............ but I doubt it.

What do we watch now?

Recently signed up to Netfilix. We're Netflix newbies.
Often surf through YouTube.
Big collection of DVDs

Generally, only perhaps two or three hours per week of viewing. Even if we had a TVL, we wouldn't get value out of it, hence why we stopped being telly addicts.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Stevek76 wrote:
mercalia wrote:this is the final stage letter I got from those scabs

It's not a 'final stage' letter really. It's just a rotation/slightly random selection.

The worst (in terms of most misleading/falsely threatening) I've seen is this one:

http://bbctvlicence.com/201602%20letter.jpg

I've not seen it in a while so I think they might have had a few too many complaints about that one and taken it out of the rotation.

Given the threat to visit remains even if you sign a declaration I'm not sure why I'd waste my time doing so in addition to the fact that it would also give them information about me that they currently do not posses (i.e. my name).

well in my case they didnt have my name it seems the original letter was to whoever lived here. Though that shows how incompetent they are as I had used the online form to tell them and had the email reply confirming it all. I do laugh that they had to go to some trouble to find out who lived here. so I onlhy replied to them afte they haad gone to all this trouble and about 8 letters later.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so Capita ( the people who "collect" the TV license ) are in trouble. You can bet they will be extra vigilent to catch as many "offenders" now to insure they keep the contract?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42885211